Factory Head Unit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Head Unit Questions

Ok, now my crazy brain is thinking about going back to the factory head unit. Why? Several things. 1) I want the steering wheel controls back, my wife loves them. I know I can buy an adapter that will make them work with my Alpine but, I am not sure that would be worth the $80 they cost. 2) I just do not like the way my radio looks. I did all the work on the custom face and I just am not crazy about it. 3) I was thumbing thru my back issues of Mobile Entertainment and came across a Lexus that did a full blown audio/video setup, using the stock head. They tapped into the preamp section of the factory head and then used a Line Driver to boost the signal to 8 volts. They said there was no sound degradation doing it this way. 4) It will not cost me anything other than either LOC or a Line Driver, Line Driver could be expensive. So here is my question:

I know the bypassing the eq and all has been done to death so I will just be to the point. What would be the easiest and cleanest signal. Tapping into the preamp section or using LOC and doing the eq bypass. I am not worried about the fader. I only want the steering wheel controls to function as normal. My amps will have remote bass knobs so, I can adjust the volumes that way. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Forgot one thing. With the factory head, I can also still add an Alpine changer and get the adapter from Streets that will allow a PS2 hookup. So, I could have the stock head, Alpine changer, PS2, add a monitor, and all my aftermarket compnents. What do you think?
Old 03-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Great Minds do think alike. I was thinking the same thing and pulled that Aug/sept. Issue out of the closet. When I look at the dash without the FantomFace it just looks so damn plain. Why did I waste all this money on a install. So right now I am just lost on what to do. I honestly dont feel like spending a single penny on my sound system. so right now I jsut dont know what i wanna do.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I think I am actually going to do some tinkering tomorrow, weather permitting. I am going to try and tap the preamp leads and splice some rca's on them. I may have to add a line driver but, we will see how it works without one. It just sounds like a cleaner connection than loc's.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:08 PM
Safety Car

I remember when the Audio place thought, it was just a normal factory deck and installed LOC's to my amps and it sounded like **** so I got a new CD player due to that. Goodlucks with your project.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, that was a bad idea. I did a check hookup to try it out. Too much noise and bad sound. I do not have the patience to try it to its end. The Alpine is already back in. Just need to put everything back together now.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:26 PM
Safety Car

I know u dont like the wood look. But if u want factory look just put the wood in or make the plate same color as the plastic in the car. I am gonna invest in the adapter for the steering as soon as i get the new deck. Again I dont think theres muich that can match Alpines SQ. O did I mention that I am gonna have a another custom box built and this time its gonna be made to fit in the TL. ITs gonna be set back so i get all my trunk to use and the woofer is gonna be mouted in the center of the trunk.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I am going to just try and tweak the look of the new face plate. That should be good enough. I am also thinking about a new deck. I like the Eclipse that has the indash changer. Other than that, maybe get a ai net changer for the trunk.

So is your new box going to be sealed or ported? I still need to make a box for mine but, just have not got to it.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

the new box will be sealed with about 1.5 to 1.75 cuft of air so its a little bit more effiecent. get the alpine changer. I just like sticking to all alpine.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:43 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for it. I still have the factory HU cause i wanted the clean look. At first i did like you wanted to, tapped the signal from the preamp section. The JL amp made the voltage conversion for me. The problem was i has to turn up the gain real high on the amp and i had nasty engine noise.... So i ended up doing the EQ bypass. Now it sounds right.