Enough RMS wattage vs too much RMS wattage

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enough RMS wattage vs too much RMS wattage

I'm going through the process of upgrading sound and bass all over my 96 3.2 TL. When I will do it, I don't know but I want to get some stuff cleared.

I went through some stuff about subs and now I want to know some things about interior speaker setups.

This is my dream setup basically. I love Infinity speakers, the quality of the speakers really impress me.

I have a Pioneer. Pioneer HU which doesn't have sufficient RMS power.

Say I am looking to get Infinity Ref series 6x9s and 6.5 door speakers. The amp will be a Infinity 7540A

Will this setup have any problems?

Also, can I use my HU to power my stock tweeters (22 watts RMS x 4) and have the Infinity amp power the door and 6x9s? Or is that impossible?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:56 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Vincent, Vincent, Vincent.

You may not like any of my advice... good thing it's free.

Look, is it possible for you to let go of your emotional attachment to Infinity as a brand and listen to some good home setups as a reference? There's a lot better car speakers out there than Infinity, that's all I'm saying.

The fact that you want to power your stock tweeters AND a couple of full-range Infinitys suggest that you think lots of highs sound "clear". You would have EIGHT tweeters... two stock, two in the F door speaks, and four in the 6x9's! (If you think they're "mids", look at their size. They ain't mids.)

Not to be a smartass (any more) but have you read the SQ for noobs post? Before you drop that cash, I'd really suggest it.

But if you've already read that and think that you still love that stuff, more power to ya, this is America, do what cha gotta do (bomp bomp bomp).
Old 02-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Racer

I would have to agree with EL here. I used to think that Infinity made REALLY HIGH END stuff, that is until i HEARD HIGH END. They make decent stuff. OK stuff for the money, but well You can get a TON better for the same money.

Point 1 you can never have enough power. Def read that SQ for noobs. I think I know a little about audio and I learned a TON. EL on the other hand is the resident expert here so he def knows.

You should ONLY get 6 x 9's IF you like it loud, they are NOT a SQ speaker.

Buy a pair of good components and a pair of good 6.5 for the rear deck and power them with a good 4 channel amp and you will be happy.

DO NOT power your tweeters with the HU, it won't sound good at all if you are amplifying your other speakers.

Ryan
Old 02-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Racer

Well, Infinity is the best I've heard... Not saying that there isn't anything better. There aren't many places around here that offer For home theater, Bose/Klipsch is definitely my favorite but is it a safe to compare (quality wise) home audio to car audio? What do you recommend? I'm willing to listen if you're willing to tell...

And I didn't realize the 6x9s and the doors had tweeters, my bad. I don't have a fetish for highs or anything.LOL I should've just used the speakers for the reference to the wattage confliction with the amp.

Again, I'm more than willing to listen if you guys recommend some better brands/setups.

I read the SQ by el, but I guess I need to reread it.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Racer

El is only stating home audio to see what kind of ear you have. If you can't hear the difference between say your infinity's and say a pair of Rainbow's wel then you know what get your infinity's. Home audio is the model to compare to. It's your best case scenario. Speaker position is perfect, seating position is perfect and there is no background noise to interfere with the sounds. That is why EL referenced it. At least I think.

As for the stuff you are looking at. Did you already BUY the infinities? Here is what you do. Can you goto a shop and listen to other speakers?

Try listening to as many as you can. IF you can't tell the difference then get what you want. However if you can tell that say MBquarts are "louder" the high's are more bright than say a pair of rockford's or you can hear a distinction between other speakers then get what you want.

EL and I are just saying that you can get alot better speakers for the same price. Amplifiers too.

Ryan
Old 02-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Racer

No, I did not buy anything yet except for my HU, which I've had for a year.

About the listening thing, I only have Best Buy and Circuit City where I can do that. There aren't any audio specialty shops around here. And from what I've herd at BB and CC (Sonys, Kenwood, Infinity, Polk, Alpine... You know, the general consumer stuff). So out of all of those, I can say that Infinity sounds way better in the lows and mids, can't tell highs because there is usually too much background noise at the stores. The same thing about the amp, I can only hear what's at BB or CC, it's all general consumer stuff.

The only other way I can hear some other stuff is if I know people who them them. I've herd JL subs (very impressive), Kicker subs (impressive), Audiobahn subs with Audiobahn amp (excellent stuff for what the price), and Sony Xplod subs, amp, interior speakers, and HU (great sound, but I personally think Sonys are total crap when it comes to durability). I've herd a Bose system (speakers and 8" subs) in a Boxter, which was decent for a stock system.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if there arn't many places around you that don't offer home audio products or car audio products...you have the internet if you research things enough you can shop around and purchase things for good prices

and then u have the dreadful ebay which is 2% full of good stuff.....98% full of crap...
Old 02-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Hurricane Game

well, it just so happens that i bought the reference infinities all around for my 96 TL. i've had a lot of speakers in the past, but nothing super high end. i've never paid $400 for some front comps, etc. i just don't care THAT much. i like good SQ and what not, but i don't need to hear every single pin drop in a song. hell, playing mp3's basically cuts that stuff out for you. anyways.....

i think the ref. infinities are pretty damn good. yeah, there are others out there that are better, maybe even for same price and what not. however, not all of those types are available in all areas either. just like you said, you just have a best buy and CC. now i did get my fronts on ebay, and they were brand new. i got my rears at a shop here in my city (Des Moines, IA) called American. good place, good stuff.

the bad thing about listening to speakers in some sound room (or in best buy there IS NO room to do that) or something equivalent, is that it's not a car. unless you hear the speakers in a car, they just won't sound the same. i know that's nearly impossible to find a shop that has anything close to that, but that is what it would take to compare. listening to them in the wall will only show you what they sound like in a wall. boo.

so i would say that if you are okay with some pretty damn good speakers (for the price), then i think these infinities will suit you. they are obviously an incredible step up from stock or wal-mart material, and they sound good. if you aren't going out for a competition or are a super picky person, then these are just great. plus, if you don't want to spend $1000 on a setup before any amp, subs, etc...then i would stay away from hefty priced components and what not. just my :twocents:

fire away anyone that disagrees. lol
Old 02-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dubcnea
well, it just so happens that i bought the reference infinities all around for my 96 TL. i've had a lot of speakers in the past, but nothing super high end. i've never paid $400 for some front comps, etc. i just don't care THAT much. i like good SQ and what not, but i don't need to hear every single pin drop in a song. hell, playing mp3's basically cuts that stuff out for you. anyways.....

i think the ref. infinities are pretty damn good. yeah, there are others out there that are better, maybe even for same price and what not. however, not all of those types are available in all areas either. just like you said, you just have a best buy and CC. now i did get my fronts on ebay, and they were brand new. i got my rears at a shop here in my city (Des Moines, IA) called American. good place, good stuff.

the bad thing about listening to speakers in some sound room (or in best buy there IS NO room to do that) or something equivalent, is that it's not a car. unless you hear the speakers in a car, they just won't sound the same. i know that's nearly impossible to find a shop that has anything close to that, but that is what it would take to compare. listening to them in the wall will only show you what they sound like in a wall. boo.

so i would say that if you are okay with some pretty damn good speakers (for the price), then i think these infinities will suit you. they are obviously an incredible step up from stock or wal-mart material, and they sound good. if you aren't going out for a competition or are a super picky person, then these are just great. plus, if you don't want to spend $1000 on a setup before any amp, subs, etc...then i would stay away from hefty priced components and what not. just my :twocents:

fire away anyone that disagrees. lol
Yeah, we're in the same situation... There is an American here too but they're no different than BB or CC.

And I know I could research this stuff, but the thing is... You can't research based on your sound preferences. You can't hear the speakers... That's why I want to find out what are some good brands/models and try to track them down so I can hear them.