El Dude effed up - which amps work well in TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 10:35 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
El Dude effed up - which amps work well in TSX?

WEll, it turns out that my preamp instructions for the TSX weren't correct for all amps.

Chuckscarstereo pointed this out, and at first I was an asshole about his comments, but I finally started to see what he was talking about.

He was right and I was wrong. ccs, my apologies.

So, I have put some incomplete info out there. I have amended the preamp output instruction thread. But...

Please post here what amp you've added to your TSX USING THE PREAMP OUTPUTS, and whether or not you have any engine noise. This will help all the members figure out which amps my instructions are valid about, and which ones they're wrong about.

My apologies to the entire forum for posting info that could have led you to have a noisy system. There are indeed some amps that wouldn't work well using my instructions. To anyone that has been jacking with noise wondering why and it turns out to have been my fault, I'm very, very sorry.

Peace, out.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:02 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience:

I had no noise with the old school 5-channel PPI5440.

When I upgraded to JL Slash 300/4 for the fronts and rears, I got major engine noise. The noise was eliminated with a pair of PAC GLI.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:35 AM
VP Electricity

I still had zero engine noise with the 300/4.

I believe that sergeremi and a few others have that amp as well.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:20 AM
Instructor

I have a 300/2 and a 500/1 JL slash amp, and I am getting major noise (whine) even at low volume. Sometimes it goes up and down just sitting there. Anyways, I am so confused as to what the correct setup is from the stock headunit to two different amps. The 300/2 is obviously connect to my components up front, and the 500/1 is connected to my JL 10W7. It seems like the way that they are connected right now are totally wrong. If anyone has the exact setup or something very simliar, please describe exactly what I need to do to correct this.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elduderino
I still had zero engine noise with the 300/4.

I believe that sergeremi and a few others have that amp as well.
Yep, I've got a 300/4 and a 450/4. No engine noise when the radio is on. But when off, I get quite a bit of whine when revving. A little noticeable when the volume is at 00, but nothing noticeable when setting > 00.

El Dude, could there be other anomalies with the preamp to amp set up you've described? Phasing issues, imaging issues, etc?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:31 AM
VP Electricity

I don't beleive so.

Sergeremi, when your HU is OFF, are your amps still on? I would have assumed that they turn on and off with the remote turn on olead, and if they do turn off with the HU, it could be that the crossovers for your CDT imaging tweeters are picking up electrical noise?

Tommy, nothing that has been determined here changes how those amps *should* work in this setup. Other amps might be affected, but if those amps aren't working with this type of signal, it's my suspicion that it's not the signal type - because the signal is compatible with those amps.

Tommy, you might want to start a new thread on your problem, and clearly describe how things are connected - which amp is on the front outputs, which on the rear outputs, if the noise occurs when the amps are off, etc.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:22 PM
Instructor

I don't beleive so.
Sergeremi, when your HU is OFF, are your amps still on? I would have assumed that they turn on and off with the remote turn on olead, and if they do turn off with the HU, it could be that the crossovers for your CDT imaging tweeters are picking up electrical noise?
You know, you asked me that last time and I forgot to check. I know I get the "pop" when I turn the head unit on and off while the car is running, but not when starting the car.

It could be the imaging tweeter xovers. The main ones are mounted in the doors, but I know that the imaging ones are mounted under the dash (glovebox area) on the passenger side. It also could the SX1000 midrange attenuator that's picking up stuff? I believe that was mounted in the same area, but I had that defeated since it didn't really solve the sound energy issue I thought I had.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Heres what I went through:

JL e2150 - tons of noise unless the gain was floored

Memphis Power Reference 4 channel - noise no matter what

Finally Replaced with JL 300/4 - not to bad on the noise department, keep the front gains about 40% and the rears floored (for proper staging), only experienced some if I put the gains up past 50%. This amp worked the best for me probably because it provided enough power to give me the volume I wanted without having to pump up the gains too much, my other two amps simply didn't have the juice otherwise. Also I think the 300/4 has some noise cancelling abilities at the RCA connects to prevent any excess stuff going on.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I forgot to mention the gain settings. I have both the 300/4 and 450/4 at around the 11 o'clock position so about 40%?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

Hifonics Series VIII amps, and the new JBL power series amps...both had noise. I have a PG PLD-1 line driver, Alpine EQ and AudioControl 24XS in the path now and they helped reduce the noise quite a bit, but it still isn't "silent". I am thinking about ditching using the stock HU, and putting in my Alpine I have sitting here...once I find out WHERE I can put it in my TSX (sigh).
Old 08-31-2005, 03:18 PM
VP Electricity

What's first in line?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

PLD-1, then EQ, then Xover, then amps.

It seems like the more components I put between the amps and the HU, the less crummy noise there is

I am going to rig up my Alpine HU to the car's battery and put it in the signal chain instead of the stock HU and see how that sounds...
Old 08-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bumpin
It seems like the more components I put between the amps and the HU, the less crummy noise there is
I figured as much early on, but was persuaded I was wrong. I think its time to get back in to the EQ/sound processor market. even though my system sounds good as is.....it can always stand to be quieter/less noisy! Now it's time to find the perfect piece to go between the HU and the amps.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Instructor

I don't beleive so.
Okay I tested on the way home from work. The amps do not turn off when the HU is off. So how that relates to the noise is that when the HU is off, the amps are amplifing noise picked up from the HU connection?

Because I have kill switch that completely disconnects the amps and there is no whine at all with the HU on or off.

It's not really big deal because I can't hear it (even when trying) when the HU is on.

Note: I'm referring to alternator whine and have not experienced any other type off noise such as constant whine or line static etc (except for the first erroneous install when a LOC was used)
Old 08-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sergeremi
Okay I tested on the way home from work. The amps do not turn off when the HU is off. So how that relates to the noise is that when the HU is off, the amps are amplifing noise picked up from the HU connection?

Because I have kill switch that completely disconnects the amps and there is no whine at all with the HU on or off.

It's not really big deal because I can't hear it (even when trying) when the HU is on.

Note: I'm referring to alternator whine and have not experienced any other type off noise such as constant whine or line static etc (except for the first erroneous install when a LOC was used)

So what was wrong with using the remote turn on? You just want to be able turn your amp on and off on your own or something?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Intermediate

I have a 450/4 too. Sounds great, but noise is definitely noticeable at low volumes. Already have a GLI but probably a cheap one. Can anyone recommend a Good Quality GLI (that doesn't run $100), or would it not make a difference?