DVD Navi system

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Navi system

Can regular DVD's be played with the Navigation System?
Old 09-24-2002, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
You cannot play DVDs in your navigation system.

You can play DVDs on the Navigation SCREEN with an adapter, but you would need a seperate DVD player as the Acura/Alpine unit will only read the Nav. DVDs.....
Old 09-24-2002, 11:40 AM
Racer

Re: DVD Navi system

Originally posted by yoni
Can regular DVD's be played with the Navigation System?
This is currently being discussed in another thread, but to answer you question I don't think so. There is a law that says something to the effect that visual entertianment can not be viewed from the driver's seat while the vehicle is in motion. How this is different from your wife/girlfriend taking her shorts off in the pasenger seat I don't know. The OEM DVD LCD screens that are being installed in mini vans and the like you'll notice can not be seen from the drivers seat. Kind of silly when you think that the navi screen takes your eyes off the road nearly as much as a movie would.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

thanks guys.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:45 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: DVD Navi system

Originally posted by Bill Faure
This is currently being discussed in another thread, but to answer you question I don't think so. There is a law that says something to the effect that visual entertianment can not be viewed from the driver's seat while the vehicle is in motion. How this is different from your wife/girlfriend taking her shorts off in the pasenger seat I don't know. The OEM DVD LCD screens that are being installed in mini vans and the like you'll notice can not be seen from the drivers seat. Kind of silly when you think that the navi screen takes your eyes off the road nearly as much as a movie would.
Not sure if that law is applicable in all states, but I'm sure it probably is in there in some shape or form. It has to do with the video, not with the Navigation or the gauges that you only glance at, not watch. It's really meant to prevent you from putting a television on the dash. Navis and in dash players came later. In any case, I have a switch on mine so when I see the cops, I flip the switch off the music video/movie and back to the Navi (not taking any chances). Also a kill switch that prevents movies or dvd while the car is in motion or unless the emergency brake is applied is sometimes required for aftermarket dvds.

The Navi does not require as much attention as the DVD even under the most extreme circumstances. I have been looking at the Navi for over two years and it's only a bit distracting at best. When I first got the DVD, it was very difficult to watch a music video and drive, I found I had to drive slower, leave more distance, and the close calls and near misses (with curbs and poles, not cars) made me almost give up ---but today over a year later I am use to it and have no problems whatsoever driving and watching a music video at night (i.e. darkness and under 6 minutes at a time). Full-length motion pictures are still a challenge.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear

what DVD player would you have to but to hook it up to the stock navigation screen??? and how hard is it to do???
Old 03-15-2004, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear

i meant "buy"