DVC sub wiring HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 06:08 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVC sub wiring HELP

I have a rf punch 500X (4 chennel) amp. bridged it. Now my question is this. should i wire the dvc sub independently or in series. with a 4 channel, i think i can only do independent because i end up with 2 channels. do you know what i am saying? i don't want distortion and from reading jl tutorials they recommend that you shouldn't wire independently. is it really ok or not? i am gonna end up wiring independently i think, unless...

jz983 has attached this image:

Old 03-10-2002, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Think you are a little confused on how to wire a DVC sub. Go to JLAudio's web page and check out how to wire a DVC sub.

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/1dvc.html
Old 03-10-2002, 06:28 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You'll have to give more details as to the ratings of the amp in bridged mode, ohm ratings/characteristics of both amp and sub, etc..... What does the amp's mfg'ers handbook recommend?
Old 03-10-2002, 06:32 PM
Pro

the sub is 400 watts rms (4 ohm). 200 per coil. the amp is 250x2 watts rms (4 ohm).

im just curious, i will end up wiring it in stereo (if i go with independent wiring) rather than mono with this 4 channel amp RIGHT?

Old 03-10-2002, 06:56 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thought you had a 4-channel amp?
Anyways, I am assuming if you wire each 4 ohm voice coil in parallel you will have a 2 ohm load concerning the sub. Now, Is your amp rated to be bridged for a 2 ohm load? If yes, then do it this way. I do not think it is a good idea to wire a sub's voice coils independently to L & R of an amp unless that amp has a summation circuit in the xover, although I know it is common to wire this way.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:26 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Brewboy
Thought you had a 4-channel amp?
Anyways, I am assuming if you wire each 4 ohm voice coil in parallel you will have a 2 ohm load concerning the sub. Now, Is your amp rated to be bridged for a 2 ohm load? If yes, then do it this way. I do not think it is a good idea to wire a sub's voice coils independently to L & R of an amp unless that amp has a summation circuit in the xover, although I know it is common to wire this way.
i agree i would never suggest wireing a DVC sub to separate channels unless you can guarentee that both channels get exactly the same signal and same amplitude.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:47 PM
Pro

both are 4 ohm. everything is 4 ohm. i have a 4 channel amp. so it will be 2 channel bridged. now is it a good idea to hook them up independently? how do you hook up the dvc sub in series with a 2 channel bridged amp? is it possible? or is the only option to hook it up independently?

i mean, i will set the gain to as close as i can get it. ??? (i have a rf punch 500X amp)

???

thanks
Old 03-14-2002, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jz983
both are 4 ohm. everything is 4 ohm. i have a 4 channel amp. so it will be 2 channel bridged. now is it a good idea to hook them up independently? how do you hook up the dvc sub in series with a 2 channel bridged amp? is it possible? or is the only option to hook it up independently?

i mean, i will set the gain to as close as i can get it. ??? (i have a rf punch 500X amp)

???

thanks
You have one problem that I see is that you have one sub right? and it is a DVC and each voice coil is 4ohm. If you run your voice coils in parrallel you will get a 2 ohm load, which your amp technically will not handle bridged. The other route is running it in series giving you an 8ohm load, which your amp can handle, but you will not get full power out of your amp. What are you going to be doing with the other two channels?
Old 03-15-2002, 01:29 AM
Banned

jz983:
"i agree i would never suggest wireing a DVC sub to separate channels unless you can guarentee that both channels get exactly the same signal and same amplitude."

What preludeshfan said above is correct...and basically you will never be able to have the same signal and amplitude out of an amp...only in lab conditions. You definitely don't want to wire the coils separately.

Here I explained what a DVC is:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...&highlight=dvc

Your only two choices for a DVC is to wire the coils in series, or in parallel. That's it. By wiring the coils in series, you double the impedance, and halve it by wiring in parallel (so if each coil is 4 ohms you wire in parallel to get 2 ohms, or series to get 8). You buy a DVC versus a SVC to have wiring options. You'd wire the coils in series by connecting the + of one coil to the - of the other, then connecting the remaining + and - to the + and - of the amp, respectively. To wire in parallel, you want to connect the + and - of each coil to the + and - of the amp, respectively. You NEVER want to wire the coils separately...you could create strange magnetic differentials around your sub cone and definitely won't get the best output.

Austin519