Dice R4 Installation - 2006 TSX w/Navi and iPod TOUCH (installation tips and review)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:24 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dice R4 Installation - 2006 TSX w/Navi and iPod TOUCH (installation tips and review)

I just installed my iPod docking solution in my 2006 TSX w/Navi yeseterday. I went with the Dice R4 for the connection to the stereo, then bought a Kuda mount (http://www.kudausa.com) as well as a universal passive mp3/phone holder to keep the iPod in view while I drive. I am connecting a new iPod Touch so I wasn't sure if the Dice video cradle would hold the iPod snugly. I might consider upgrading to it at some future point if I know for sure it will work.

Installation:
Installing was pretty easy, but there are a few words of advice I can offer to anyone who may be considering a similar setup. I
can obviously only speak to my personal experience here.
1) Though the R4 instructions say you should disconnect the battery before installing to allow the module to initialize property, I skipped this step and it worked fine immediately. I am not sure if this is extra caution on the part of Dice, or if it's because I am using CDC mode and simple iPod mode on the Dice Unit, or if it's because I'm using the Touch, but I was relieved to not have to deal with the radio code.

2) I started off by pulling off the piece of trim to the left of where a passenger's left foot would rest, that is where the Kuda mount hooks into. Then I popped out the compartment directly underneath the navigation head unit just by giving it a firm pull. Once both were out, I found that it was possible to run the iPod Dock cable directly from behind that compartment out the opening I had made by popping off the piece of trim. Long story Short: NO DRILLING NECESSARY. The cable comes out of above that piece of trim, runs up the inside of the Kuda mount, so it's nice and hidden, and comes out underneath the front of the mount for easy access.

3) The most confusing part of the installation probably shows how much of an idiot I am when it comes to installing this stuff (so if I can do it, anyone can). I spent way too long looking around under the head unit for an open socket to plug in the cable coming from the Dice module. There is only 1 white plug there and it currently had something plugged into it (I assume it's the navigation system, but I don't know for sure). You have to UNPLUG that, plug it into the big white socket on the cable that comes with the Dice unit, then plug the OTHER end of that cable back into the now open socket. This was mentioned in the R4 instructions, but written in such a way that I didn't understand that it needed to be done. Watch your hands in that compartment, too...there's some razor sharp edges.

That's basically it. Like I said, the iPod started playing through the stereo as soon as I plugged it in and switched to CDC mode, so I tucked the Dice box out of the way in that compartment so I could slide the piece back in, reattached the trim over the Kuda mount and I had a perfect installation.

Review:
As best as I can tell, no one else has posted a review of using the iPod Touch with the R4, so I'll try to answer all of the questions I had before I bought mine. In short, it works great. One thing Nick from Dice had warned me about was that the new iPods lock out control from the ipod itself when docked. Again, I can only speak from my own experience, and maybe it's unique to using it in CDC or iPod mode, but the touch screen controls on the iPod Touch DO NOT LOCK when playing through the car stereo. This means I am free to change my playlist, flip through albums, switch from shuffle mode to non-shuffle mode all directly on the iPod. Steering wheel and head units controls also work perfectly. And because I used the KUDA mount, the ipod is always within reach and oriented correctly so that it's very easy to use its touch controls when I need to.

As other posters have noticed, there is a "bleeding issue" between the XM2 presets and the CDC audio when the car first starts. Here's what it means: If you shut off your car when it's still on CDC mode, the next time you turn your car on, you will hear BOTH the iPod music AND whatever station your XM2 presets are currently tuned to. All you have to do is cycle back through the audio modes back to CFC and it works perfectly. Or to avoid the issue altogether, cycle off of the ipod mode before shutting off the car.

As I've mentioned several times so far, I installed in CDC mode so I don't get Text on the Navi screen, but since the iPod is mounted in view of the driver, if I want to see what song is playing, I can just glance at the iPod itself. Though the song/artist name text on the touch screen is pretty small, so you may have to squint a bit to read it, but the album art is large and clear. Also, I installed in iPod mode (as opposed to Dice mode), so the track number and elapsed track time don't update on the head unit either. However the iPod screen continues to update in real time, so the second you hit the "next track" button on the steering wheel, the album art of the currently playing song slides out of view and in slides the new song. And when you switch to a different audio mode, the iPod pauses immediately. I havn't really experimented with using the steering wheel/head unit controls to switch album/playlist, only to switch tracks. It seems like it'd be a lot faster just to use the iPod controls to do this when needed. Most of the time I'm probably just going to choose to shuffle amongst all of the songs on the iPod. And only use the next track controls to skip a song I don't want to hear just then.

On a separate note: Nick@Dice, Uncald4 and the people at KUDA are AWESOME. Nick answered about 1000 questions for me before I bought the unit, Uncald4 answered a few more questions, gave me a speedy refund when I canceled 1 item I had originally ordered, and had it shipped to me in record time (from Seattle to New Jersey!). I made two separate orders from KUDA and with 1 email they agreed to combine them into 1 shipment, immediately refunded me the shipping charges from the second order, and also shipped blazingly fast. Personally I'm all about customer service and Nick@Dice, Uncald4 and KUDA are precisely what great service is all about.

I meant to take pictures while I was installing, but completely forgot about it until I was all done. I can take and post pictures of the final product if anyone wants. And I'm happy to answer any questions about the setup or using the iPod touch that I can.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Advanced

Hey hypo...I would be interested in pictures if you had some... I just purchased KUDA's mount for my TSX and I'm going to be installing a sirius unit on it...I got it in the mail and am extremely impressed with the build quality of it!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
You've had the DICE for a few months now. Is your iPod Touch still unlocked when you plug it in? I've noticed a few people with the new Touch had the same experience. However, the Classic and the 3rd gen Nano definitely lock up. I haven't seen one that didn't.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:19 PM
6th Gear

The Touch is still unlocked when I plug it in. I have not updated its firmware or anything (partially out of fear that it will start locking up ) so I see no reason why it would stop working all of the sudden. Hopefully when the time comes that I do update the iPod firmware, it will continue to not lock up. If it does start locking up, I will try to remember to post here and let people know.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:17 PM
ridiculously good looking

would it be any different to hook this up to a 2004 tsx?? also, can you watch videos on the touch from your nav screen?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:55 PM
6th Gear

I'm not sure if it would be different to hook it up to a 2004 TSX. You'd have to ask Nick@Dice or Uncald4 about that.

You can definitely NOT watch videos from the touch on the nav screen. At least not with Dice hardware alone.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

The install is a little different in the TSX. But the DICE kit and functionality is the same. No TEXT on the 2004 TSX though.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,662 Likes on 2,495 Posts
Originally Posted by uncald4
You've had the DICE for a few months now. Is your iPod Touch still unlocked when you plug it in? I've noticed a few people with the new Touch had the same experience. However, the Classic and the 3rd gen Nano definitely lock up. I haven't seen one that didn't.
is that even when it is in cdc mode cause not having on screen text having a locked out ipod would be useless in my opinion.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
is that even when it is in cdc mode cause not having on screen text having a locked out ipod would be useless in my opinion.
Yeah, the new iPod's lock up when plugged in. So if you have an iPod adapter that doesn't show text it's no fun. Most iPod adapters, boomboxes and other iPod accessories don't have any way of displaying text which sucks if you own a new iPod. As soon as I got to play with a new iPod I went and bought a grip of older iPods. I'll only buy a new one if I really have to.

EDIT: Oh.... and the new gen iPods will not play video out of the data plug like the older ones do. New technology is awesome!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Yeah, the new iPod's lock up when plugged in. So if you have an iPod adapter that doesn't show text it's no fun. Most iPod adapters, boomboxes and other iPod accessories don't have any way of displaying text which sucks if you own a new iPod. As soon as I got to play with a new iPod I went and bought a grip of older iPods. I'll only buy a new one if I really have to.

EDIT: Oh.... and the new gen iPods will not play video out of the data plug like the older ones do. New technology is awesome!
anyone make an adapter connector for the dock port that block what ever pin locks it out.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
anyone make an adapter connector for the dock port that block what ever pin locks it out.
The iPod lock the user interface when it see's a DATA connection. As soon as a data transfer is initialized it locks.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 AM

The iPod lock the user interface when it see's a DATA connection. As soon as a data transfer is initialized it locks.
yeah but there are regular audio only cables that use the dock connector so why cant the data connection of being able to change tracks from the radio be blocked and just transmit the audio. heck I am only getting the dice over other units cause I want to have ipod and an aux in and need it to work with an 04 which most of the other companies units do not do. plus if you would put the dice unit no text mode for configuration 1 and full manual control for configuration 2 which i believe doesnt let you use the radio buttons how would it see a data connection.

I hope my metal 2gb nano does fall in this lock catagory. now I dont want a touch until this is resolved. sure apple will realize tons of people will be up in arms about this.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Brum Brum!!

The install is a little different in the TSX. But the DICE kit and functionality is the same. No TEXT on the 2004 TSX though.
Hey uncald, I'm not very good mechanically and I was able to get the storage compartment out from underneath the radio. I have an 04 TSX non-nav and once I can see the wiring I can only see one plug that is white toward the back on the left hand side. I can't find any pictures showing which plug I need to be removing to get onto the Dice Module. Any help would be great. I would post a pic but I don't have the ability to do so. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cober319
Hey uncald, I'm not very good mechanically and I was able to get the storage compartment out from underneath the radio. I have an 04 TSX non-nav and once I can see the wiring I can only see one plug that is white toward the back on the left hand side. I can't find any pictures showing which plug I need to be removing to get onto the Dice Module. Any help would be great. I would post a pic but I don't have the ability to do so. Thanks!
Right, there is only one plug on the bottom of your radio. There might be something already plugged in there. Your DICE kit plugs right into that bottom receptacle. There is a post here in the Audio/Video forum with pictures but you may need to look for it a bit.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Brum Brum!!

Right, there is only one plug on the bottom of your radio. There might be something already plugged in there. Your DICE kit plugs right into that bottom receptacle. There is a post here in the Audio/Video forum with pictures but you may need to look for it a bit.
Ok thanks, I appreciate your help.