A couple dumb questions on installation.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:02 AM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
A couple dumb questions on installation.

Alright so I got an all-Rockford system waiting to be installed .. Well, my 6.5's are on backorder still .. The list is below; is there anything else I need to bring to a shop to be installed by them? Like maybe a couple of RCA connectors? Or do they supply them and charge me later? I'm a complete newbie at audio, so I'm asking dumb questions here rather than be laughed at by a local shop or something. That said, I'd rather not install the system myself; as new as I am at this, I'm afraid all the money I spent on this will go to waste if I mess something up.

BTW general car audio installation quotes from various shops would be great too if you guys are within arm's reach of them. I'll do my own "shopping," but it's nice to cheat so I can gather the money.

Here's a list if it helps ..

Rockford Fosgate Punch P450.4 Multi-Channel Amp
JVC Arsenal KD-AR870 MP3 Player
Rockford Fosgate Punch P162S 6.5"Component Speaker System [ on backorder ]
Rockford Fosgate Power T1692C 6x9 2-Way Speaker
Rockford Fosgate Type RF CP4POS Amplifier Wiring Kit
Scosche AA1574 Car Stereo Installation Kit
Scosche HA08 Car Stereo Wiring Harness
Scosche Connector Kit In-Dash Receiver Accessory
Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 PM
failhard.

no input? surely someone has had experience in bringing their CL-S to an audio shop. =/

BTW should I take out the backseat to make it easier for them?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An install shop would never use those wire kits and scosche units, they'd just use their own stuff and splice right into the wires they need. The fact that you've already bought all that equipment (and kits!), boy, you really should consider doing it yourself!

I mean, look at the quote in your own sig!!

Sorry, I don't mean to harass, and I know its hard when you're new at things, but if you take your time, and since you've already got all that wiring and scosche kits, you really could do it yourself in a weekend. Just a thought. And I'm a TSX guy, so I have no real good advice for you otherwise. I'm just afraid an install shop is going to smell noob and rape you on fees if you bring all that to them. Best of luck.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:19 PM
failhard.

Originally Posted by Reach
An install shop would never use those wire kits and scosche units, they'd just use their own stuff and splice right into the wires they need. The fact that you've already bought all that equipment (and kits!), boy, you really should consider doing it yourself!

I mean, look at the quote in your own sig!!

Sorry, I don't mean to harass, and I know its hard when you're new at things, but if you take your time, and since you've already got all that wiring and scosche kits, you really could do it yourself in a weekend. Just a thought. And I'm a TSX guy, so I have no real good advice for you otherwise. I'm just afraid an install shop is going to smell noob and rape you on fees if you bring all that to them. Best of luck.
Ouch. owned.

Yeah I'm kinda thinking it through, maybe it won't be so tough .. I already took an electronics class that I halfway forgot, I guess I can do some back-research and crack into my own car. I'll see about it ..

I guess since now I'm doing this installation on my own, the next question is what kind of wires would I need to run through the car now. =/
Old 01-03-2007, 07:55 PM
failhard.

After doing research for the past few hours, I'm a little more confident on installing everything myself. I guess I'll be needing a few RCA wires and a wire cutter/splicer, maybe some solder.

The hard part seems to be running the wires through the length of the car.

BTW, important question. I hear it's probably best to power the rear 6x9's with the headunit, as they don't really make a difference. Any truth? I already have a 4-channel amp, I'm thinking I should just power them with the amp anyway. Would save me the trouble of running more wires through the length of the car.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I spent $14xx.xx when all said and done, with a lot of discounts because of issues they were giving me. I even helped the shop guys wire the shit up because they only had experience on the 2nd Gen TL, and MDX. :theghey:

I spent the most money on wiring, you'll get dinged hard for the re-wire on the 6.5s and 6x9s. You want RCA wires for the subs, and large power wire...8 gauge preferably, for the AMP, with a big fuse.

-My 6x9s are powered to the headunit and they sound perfect.
A decent battery, yellow top, and a farad cap if you don't have the money for a performance alternator (Thats if your lights are dimming.).
Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 AM
failhard.

Thanks GM .. Yeah it looks like I'll do this myself, I don't wanna go through the hassle of going to the shop and not knowing what they did wrong if something screws up.

But wait, RCA connectors are ONLY for the subs? I was thinking you can get better sound quality from the 6.5's and 6x9's by converting the wires to RCA .. kinda like component cabling > composite cabling for a game system.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mystikk
But wait, RCA connectors are ONLY for the subs? I was thinking you can get better sound quality from the 6.5's and 6x9's by converting the wires to RCA .. kinda like component cabling > composite cabling for a game system.
Nope. By adding RCA connectors, you're adding another analog 'hop' into the run. Each hop adds noise and interference. The only thing RCA connectors gives you is an easier ability to change out speakers in the future. Keep those RCAs for your sub's amp input only.

Instead, just run the speaker new wiring directly, and solder onto the correct posts of the speaker. Solder, don't tape or tap them there, for the best connections.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I meant RCA wire for the AMP...not the subs...<<was tired when I wrote that last post.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey its definitely not best to wire any speakes by the head unit, unless you have totally crap speakers or stock speakesr. but best results are achieved with amplified speakers. your head probalby gives out 20wrms / channel, so if you listen at half the volume you only sending 10wrms, channel, that will never give you crisp highs and mids and forget about any bass. i am not saying you need 100s of watts, but putting atleast 50wrms / channel depending on the speaker setup will defintely give you much cleaner sound.

Originally Posted by mystikk
After doing research for the past few hours, I'm a little more confident on installing everything myself. I guess I'll be needing a few RCA wires and a wire cutter/splicer, maybe some solder.

The hard part seems to be running the wires through the length of the car.

BTW, important question. I hear it's probably best to power the rear 6x9's with the headunit, as they don't really make a difference. Any truth? I already have a 4-channel amp, I'm thinking I should just power them with the amp anyway. Would save me the trouble of running more wires through the length of the car.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,466 Likes on 3,060 Posts
Powering good aftermarket speakers with the hu not a good idea, you need an amp, and where does this 6x9's don't do shit myth keep coming from? I have 3 way 6x9's with tweeters and those bitches slam and play my highs very cleanly
Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Depends on your car. In a TSX, the rear 6x9s only receive a low bass signal and are totally worthless on their own. Their signal, however, is useful to pump to and amp and sub without re-wiring the car.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 PM
failhard.

Taking everything into consideration, I'm starting the long installation today. Wish me luck and thanks for everything guys.

BTW I've decided the 6x9's will be amp'd.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,466 Likes on 3,060 Posts
for doing the install, and for amping the 69'ers