TL: Couple Audio & Video Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Couple Audio & Video Questions

These questions can pertain to a lot of vehicles besides my 3rd Gen TL Base AT No Nav.

DOES ANYONE have any experience or knowledge for these 2 Different types of MB Quarts Cross Overs? Are they tunable at all, if they are how exactly would I go about doing that?

My Main Goal for the Audio System is to get another 8” Sundown v3 Sub and then get A Custom box made for them. But I also need to get some kind of EQ and Cross Overs, since the Tweeters are wires with the front speakers. They are receiving way to low frequencies causing massive distortion for my set up.

I do not have these yet, but am in the process of purchasing both of these as A package. Depending on the Responses I might use these for my current set up, then use the 2Ways in the es300 Lexus. These are MB Quarts 3way Crossovers.

So I made an impulse buy since these where A good deal. They are pretty old MB Quarts 2Way Cross Overs. Model is PXC 216 , and I have not been able to find any Product/Instructions Manual anywhere online what so ever.

I could see the 2ways being used specifically for my 2 Front Tweeters and then both 8” Subs? Or do I just use the two 3way crossovers just on the tweeters instead? As long as I put the crossovers closest possible to the actual tweeter, or after the joining of the wiring with the component speaker wiring.

Then for my Video questions, I’m looking for 2 decent headrest monitors. Must have video input in order for someone in the backseat to play some Xbox lol.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
The first obvious thing about these passive x-overs is that one is for a 3 way and the other is for a 2 way for front components (mid and tweeter) and neither are intended for wiring with subwoofers. Both have fixed crossover points programmed in that don't allow any tunability other than attenuation of the tweeters and are specifically designed for the MB Quart set that they were initially paired with. You can try them and see how it sounds on your existing comps but you would probably will find the results to be less than desirable. A electronic crossover is probably going to be a better fit for you and what you're trying to achieve.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bchester6
The first obvious thing about these passive x-overs is that one is for a 3 way and the other is for a 2 way for front components (mid and tweeter) and neither are intended for wiring with subwoofers. Both have fixed crossover points programmed in that don't allow any tunability other than attenuation of the tweeters and are specifically designed for the MB Quart set that they were initially paired with. You can try them and see how it sounds on your existing comps but you would probably will find the results to be less than desirable. A electronic crossover is probably going to be a better fit for you and what you're trying to achieve.

hey!

thanks for replying, even the mb quarts support staff that replied to my email. Didn’t have A clue on what cross over this was, it wasn’t even in the online parts cache.

So the 2Way is labeled for Tweeters and A subwoofer. Also, as for right now I’m thinking any type of EQ/cross over that blocks low frequencies from going to my tweeters would be A plus. BUT that’s just for the time being, I’ve blown 2 sets of tweeters already with them being wired to the front components.

Im even thinking about hooking the stock tweeters back up, at least until My capacitors come in the mail? I forgot the name, but they are super small and give the tweeters some form of protection.

So is that small piece that’s ontop the pins for the tweeters dB settings the only tunable thing on these cross overs? I wouldn’t mind finding the MB Quarts components that go with these, but doubt I’d find A nice set of such old components.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:16 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
"Output woofer" = mid bass driver/woofer. These aren't intended for subwoofers. There are lots of similar crossover units (pcx216) from MB quart on eBay for sale. Though they may not be the exact same they are very comprable. Maybe you should message one of the Sellers and find out what the matching tweeter and mid bass driver is so you have a point of reference. Having said that, MB Quart used to be a very high end and reputable company for car audio especially they're older Q series components. Some consider them the best ever made so if you can find some they would be well worth the money.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Intermediate

So I just hooked up the 2Way cross overs, and I hooked tweeters up to front speaker/tweeter since they are wired together in my 04 TL. Then I hooked the woofer input and output to the rear speakers. I have one for each side.

ive turned all settings off/neutral on head unit, but they end up going nuts when I turn the volume up to fast or pass 16-18.. I’ve tuned my system using the Steve Meade Distortion Detector, and I’m 100% sure I should be able to turn my system up to volume 30/40