can someone recommend some good components

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone recommend some good components

Can someone recommend a good amp/component combination to me for a 2001 tl. i'd like to keep the whole thing at least under 900 bucks thanx alot guys.
Old 11-17-2001, 01:39 AM
Banned

Sure can...

Component Sets:
A.
2x JL XR650CX 6.5" coaxials @ $151/apiece
No cutting, factory locations.
Subtotal: $302

B.
1x JL XR650CX 6.5" coaxials (for rear) @ $151/apiece
1x JL XR653CS 6.5" 3-way (for front) @ $250/apiece
Some cutting for front speakers, possible addition of kickpanel...
Subtotal: $401

C.
2x JL XR653CS 6.5" 3-way @ $250/apiece
A LOT of cutting for rears, possible custom rear door panel fabrication, some cuttinf for front speakers, possible addition of kickpanel...
Subtotal: $500

Amplifiers:
A.
1x Rockford Fosgate H800a4 800W 4 ch @ $320/apiece
One amp means easier install, less wiring, less space used, and all controls in same place. Deilvers 100 watts to each component set at 4 ohms.
Subtotal: $320

B.
2x Rockford Fosgate H400a4 400W 4ch @ $200/apiece
Two separate amps (one front and one rear) leads to lower THD, slightly lower power consumption, if one fails the whole system isn't down. Delivers 200 watts to each component set at 4 ohms.
Subtotal: $400

As you see...you barely hit 900 using the most expensive of each. If you want to know my personal favorite setup just check my signature. Aside from JL components I always push Infinity Kappa Perfects. The sound quality is phenomenal. I got these prices througha few hookups...and the old body style Rockford Fosgate amps are running out. So if you want one tell me quick before he's sold out.

Austin519
Old 11-17-2001, 03:19 AM
Pro

first off, it is very difficult to recommend speakers as they are 100% personal taste. What sounds good to me may sound like ass to you. If you could tell us what types of music you listen to, what type of sound your prefer (brighter, smoother, natural...) we could definitely suggest ones for you to go audition...

Bryan
Old 11-17-2001, 03:31 AM
Banned

autophile1:
"first off, it is very difficult to recommend speakers as they are 100% personal taste. What sounds good to me may sound like ass to you. If you could tell us what types of music you listen to, what type of sound your prefer (brighter, smoother, natural...) we could definitely suggest ones for you to go audition... "
I wouldn't really say any JL speaker could sound like ass...I mean, recommending a good quality is a good start, although I agree with you on the fact that his personal interests (bass, soundQ, etc) and personal tastes (rap, techno, rawk) are the determining factor. So I'd say they're more 30% taste...70% really good quality...

Austin519
Old 11-17-2001, 03:38 AM
Pro

I agree quality should be a major concern. Here is an example of what I meant by subjective:

A friend of mine has a set of the MB Quart Q series components. I honestly think they sound like garbage. Far too bright and too difficult to attenuate to a level that does not fatigue my ears in a matter of minutes. To him, they are god's gift to car audio. I respect that, he has to listen to them not me.

He absolutely detests my Dynaudio's. I find them to be the smoothest most natural speakers on the market.

One thing that remains constant is the fact that both speakers are very well built. They are just sooo different in sound that one man's dream may be another man's nightmare, regardles of quality of construction or brand name, or build materials...

In short, some of the best speakers just do not suit certain people. That is why there are so many choices out there. In my opinion, speaker choice is 70% subjective auditioning, and 30% quality...

Bryan
Old 11-17-2001, 11:40 AM
Racer

Infiniti Kappa's are good components!!!
Old 11-17-2001, 08:35 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by autophile1

In short, some of the best speakers just do not suit certain people. That is why there are so many choices out there. In my opinion, speaker choice is 70% subjective auditioning, and 30% quality...

Bryan
Well said Bryan. Lately, it seems people are more interested in how impressive the popular brand name label sounds to them and their friends than building a system based on their own ears, music tastes, and quality of subcomponents. I always cring when I hear people putting in mass marketed gear in their cars based upon brand name only and not doing any auditioning (even to just get an idea of what sound characteristics they like/dislike). IMHO

BTW, when I first saw you posting a long time ago, I thought you were Peter because of your username. I had to ask Kirk N. if it was, but he said no. Since Kirk drives a 2000TL, I wish he would join the boards (and Peter), they would offer so much. When working with Peter, did you ever converse with Chris D(Who'sYourDaddy?) from the teamamp forums?
Old 11-17-2001, 09:44 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Brewboy

Well said Bryan. Lately, it seems people are more interested in how impressive the popular brand name label sounds to them and their friends than building a system based on their own ears, music tastes, and quality of subcomponents. I always cring when I hear people putting in mass marketed gear in their cars based upon brand name only and not doing any auditioning (even to just get an idea of what sound characteristics they like/dislike). IMHO

BTW, when I first saw you posting a long time ago, I thought you were Peter because of your username. I had to ask Kirk N. if it was, but he said no. Since Kirk drives a 2000TL, I wish he would join the boards (and Peter), they would offer so much. When working with Peter, did you ever converse with Chris D(Who'sYourDaddy?) from the teamamp forums?
Thanks It's just that I have seen so many people buy what other people tell them to buy, not what to audition, and end up unhappy with them, or just force themselves to like it because they need to justify the money they just spent. I don't mean anything directly against Austin's suggestions, as in my opinion, JL makes a pretty good speaker, but you never know who might just despise them! Don't forget that this may go in the opposite direction too. Many people will not recommend system components because they feel a brand is just not a "better" brand. Different companies are better at making different system parts... Which is why, if you are not going to show your vehicle or compete, there is nothing wrong with a mix n' match system.

Yeah you caught me, I actually got my name from Peter's store a while back ( about two years ago now) I really wish Peter would join this forum as well as I truly believe that he is one of the last, true, high end guys around, plus he's just a super nice guy I hope I did not give the impression that I have worked with Peter before. I am just a loyal customer and close friend, nothing else. I used to have ICQ sessions with Chris all the time, I have not spoken to him much since he has been so busy now that he is involved with the Brax line... nice, knowledgeable guy too!

Bryan
Old 11-17-2001, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Boston Pro's
Just my $0.02
Old 11-18-2001, 02:13 AM
Banned

" I don't mean anything directly against Austin's suggestions, as in my opinion, JL makes a pretty good speaker, but you never know who might just despise them! "

I take no offense whatsoever

Austin519
Old 11-18-2001, 03:30 AM
Pro

Glad to hear because I have noticed we are usually in agreement when it comes to audio issues

Bryan

Originally posted by Austin519
" I don't mean anything directly against Austin's suggestions, as in my opinion, JL makes a pretty good speaker, but you never know who might just despise them! "

I take no offense whatsoever

Austin519
Old 11-18-2001, 07:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey autophile 1 i noticed on your signature that you went with the nakamichi cd player and in dash chager i was wondering what made you choose the nakamichi over another brand such as eclipse....i personally have never seen the nakamichi line and was just wondering if you choose if from personal preference or a quality point of view.....i have hear alot of things about nakamichi but like i said i have never had a change to actually see or listen to any of their products....
Old 11-18-2001, 09:01 PM
Banned

autophile1:
"Glad to hear because I have noticed we are usually in agreement when it comes to audio issues

Bryan "

We do don't we Bryan

Austin519
Old 11-20-2001, 12:18 AM
Pro

Well I chose it for a few reasons. 1 I personally love the way it looks. Very subtle, doesn't draw a lot of attention to itself, and just looks expensive A friend of mine has one of these and we did some A/B testing on it against my Sony CDX-C90 ( I used to have that in my 94 Ford Probe GT) and I was blown away. The Sony is very clean but sounds somewhat mechanically (hope that makes sense), the Nak was so smoooooth. Must be due in part to the Butterworth Filters. His system was similar to my set-up, he had all Dyanudio speakers including a 12" Dyn sub powered by Genesis amps. Plus it has an analog volume control mmmmm!

Bryan

Originally posted by shawhite
hey autophile 1 i noticed on your signature that you went with the nakamichi cd player and in dash chager i was wondering what made you choose the nakamichi over another brand such as eclipse....i personally have never seen the nakamichi line and was just wondering if you choose if from personal preference or a quality point of view.....i have hear alot of things about nakamichi but like i said i have never had a change to actually see or listen to any of their products....
Old 11-20-2001, 05:41 PM
Racer

Infinity perfect component set.Trust me you will love it. (less than $300 on ebay)