Boston Acoustics in TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Master in Science

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston Acoustics in TSX

Went in to Tweeter to buy some MB RCE269's and walked out with Boston speakers instead. They stopped carrying MB, under the talk that the company is closing. Indeed, the chatter I saw online yesterday was not very positive. Better avoid a brand with an uncertain future...

Anyways, I fell in love with the nice sound of the Polks (MOMO), so I borrowed a speaker from the box (with salesman in tow) and visually checked it for fit in the trunk. Those things are huge! Great sound, but doubtful it would fit due to the trunk springs.

So I looked at the Bostons. Tweeter has a "private spring sale" event going on this weekend... mention the sale and get huge discounts (not a set %). The NX97 was $170. I put them in this evening as a full range speaker on my JL e4300... wow! They are much more efficient than my Alpine Type R! I can barely make out the sound from my components up front; and the sound is very crisp and warm. I bought them to use as bass only; but might keep them as full. They fill the entire car, which is really nice.

In regards to the bass -- what I bought them for -- they sound better than stock, but also seem to bottom out at 35+ volume, while the bass is set at 6. Since I never hear music at these settings (usually 15-20, bass -2 to +2), I'm quite satisfied. I can also keep the front components as full range to increase the bass in the car, if it's ever lacking.

No, it does not compete with my JL 12 W3v2 (now in storage, awaiting sale); but it's not intended to.

To close this rambling post, I also bought the SL60 components ($297). Quite expensive, but much better -- I hope -- than the Type R (they sounded nice in the store). I set an appt to install them on Monday (hate the wiring), but might do it myself this weekend. I can't help myself -- plus I want to fix the fact I can't hear the navi since the Alpine install by another store.

I'm considering having the front components and 6x9s in the rear deck only. The rear doors seem to serve as fill only, and I don't miss them right now (they are running from the stock amp).

So I definitely recommend the NX97 as 6x9 speakers. They dropped right in, with included screws.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:39 AM
Master in Science

I forgot to mention that yes, I looked at the Focal components; but $540 for a set is too much! I set out with a budget of $600 for both front and rear deck, and am happy to have things for less than that (including install).

Maybe for my next car...

And I have to buy a new set of tires in less than 5k.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:00 PM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the Boston 6x9s be effective with the factory amp?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
Will the Boston 6x9s be effective with the factory amp?
They are rated at ~60 watts rms (200 peak). The stock speakers get around 45w peak (360/8). So you'd be cutting short their performance quite a bit.

On the other hand, they are very efficient (like the Polks). It's hard to say without trying them out. Some speakers don't work well without all the power they need. My amp provides 75 w rms, and they sound nice.

In other words, don't buy them online. If interested, get them at a store that allows you to switch for something else (Tweeter says 7 days).

PS: After listening to my sound setup for 20 mins w/o the engine on, the battery died. Note to self: these speakers are hungry for power!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:12 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Uh, 4 ohms is 4 ohms. Your battery sounds weak.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by elduderino
Uh, 4 ohms is 4 ohms. Your battery sounds weak.
I recharged it with an AC charger, and it seems fine now. I'll see tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by slo007
Went in to Tweeter to buy some MB RCE269's and walked out with Boston speakers instead. They stopped carrying MB, under the talk that the company is closing. Indeed, the chatter I saw online yesterday was not very positive. Better avoid a brand with an uncertain future...

Anyways, I fell in love with the nice sound of the Polks (MOMO), so I borrowed a speaker from the box (with salesman in tow) and visually checked it for fit in the trunk. Those things are huge! Great sound, but doubtful it would fit due to the trunk springs.

So I looked at the Bostons. Tweeter has a "private spring sale" event going on this weekend... mention the sale and get huge discounts (not a set %). The NX97 was $170. I put them in this evening as a full range speaker on my JL e4300... wow! They are much more efficient than my Alpine Type R! I can barely make out the sound from my components up front; and the sound is very crisp and warm. I bought them to use as bass only; but might keep them as full. They fill the entire car, which is really nice.

In regards to the bass -- what I bought them for -- they sound better than stock, but also seem to bottom out at 35+ volume, while the bass is set at 6. Since I never hear music at these settings (usually 15-20, bass -2 to +2), I'm quite satisfied. I can also keep the front components as full range to increase the bass in the car, if it's ever lacking.

No, it does not compete with my JL 12 W3v2 (now in storage, awaiting sale); but it's not intended to.

To close this rambling post, I also bought the SL60 components ($297). Quite expensive, but much better -- I hope -- than the Type R (they sounded nice in the store). I set an appt to install them on Monday (hate the wiring), but might do it myself this weekend. I can't help myself -- plus I want to fix the fact I can't hear the navi since the Alpine install by another store.

I'm considering having the front components and 6x9s in the rear deck only. The rear doors seem to serve as fill only, and I don't miss them right now (they are running from the stock amp).

So I definitely recommend the NX97 as 6x9 speakers. They dropped right in, with included screws.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

You can always shop from the tweeter web site. They have several MB Quarts speakers in stock. I've just purchased a pair of MB Quart DKE 116 6.5" for my fronts for $109. I believe there warehouse is located in Kentucky. Shipping was free.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but doubtful it would fit due to the trunk springs.
A few of use are working on an alternate method to open and support the trunk. These bars are a pain in the A$$ to everybody. I think the audio engineers took the month off when Acura decided to put the stereo in the TSX. Door speakers were a pain in the a$$ also.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Focal Utopias.. you won't regret it. you can turn 'em up as loud as you want, and it sounds like they're barely even trying. If your ears can take it. Full, vivid, clear sound.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:44 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jyang411
Focal Utopias.. you won't regret it. you can turn 'em up as loud as you want, and it sounds like they're barely even trying. If your ears can take it. Full, vivid, clear sound.
The ability to turn up your speakers as loud as you want is also amp-dependent.

And I would NEVER put those in OEM locations.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by BallsOfSteel
You can always shop from the tweeter web site. They have several MB Quarts speakers in stock. I've just purchased a pair of MB Quart DKE 116 6.5" for my fronts for $109. I believe there warehouse is located in Kentucky. Shipping was free.
But it costs more. And what if you don't like the speakers? You have to pay to return them! And it costs you a return fee (usually 15%). Buying speakers online is a poor decision I'm very familiar with. I bought my Alpine Type R online, didn't like them, and got stuck with them for over a year; until I could finally afford to spend another $600 in sound equipment.

The only thing good about buying sound equipment online is small parts and radios. I saved over $200 by buying a JVC deck online. The unit is in its third car right now, and still plays awesome music.

I'm installing the Type R's in the 4Runner next week. I hope they fit.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by elduderino
The ability to turn up your speakers as loud as you want is also amp-dependent.

And I would NEVER put those in OEM locations.
Yes, something few people are willing to do.

The fancier the speakers, the fancier the install has to be. Unless one knows of an excellent shop, the end result doesn't sound as good as one hoped. Hence, the car owner feels stupid with so much frustration.

Last thing I want in my TSX right now is to recover the fade control, and the navi voice-feedback.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Instructor

But it costs more. And what if you don't like the speakers? You have to pay to return them! And it costs you a return fee (usually 15%). Buying speakers online is a poor decision I'm very familiar with. I bought my Alpine Type R online, didn't like them, and got stuck with them for over a year; until I could finally afford to spend another $600 in sound equipment.

The only thing good about buying sound equipment online is small parts and radios. I saved over $200 by buying a JVC deck online. The unit is in its third car right now, and still plays awesome music.

I'm installing the Type R's in the 4Runner next week. I hope they fit.
No restock fee or shipping charge if returned 30 days after purchase from Tweeter. Also, Tweeter gives you an option to return in and one of there locations for full refund.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Master in Science

Some pics of my install: