Bose CLS tweeters in TLS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 03:57 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose CLS tweeters in TLS?

I have been looking to buy a new car for a couple of months now and have fallen in love with the Acura TLS type S. I must admit though, that I am disappointed with the Bose sound system. I have never listened to a car with a custom Bose system before, but because of all the hype I had expected it to sound really nice. Instead, I found it to only sound marginal, on par with some rental car or something. I don't need or want to go to the expense and hassle of some competition type sound system. I listen to classic rock and don't need the gigantic bass required for "hiphop" music. However, I do like to crank it fairly loud and have it sound crisp and clean. The TLS Bose system seem to lack that crisp clarity in the midrange and does not seem to have the correct high frequency directivity. Everything seems to be coming from off the floor... (which it is) I sat in the CLS type S and found its system to be much more to my liking. I could probably live with its sound. The main thing that I think improved it over the TLS type S was the addition of the custom mounted tweeters on the front window black wedged area. This seemed to put the directional high frequencies up near the ear level where they ought to be... instead of coming from the floor. People don't drive with their heads on the floor! Why they didn't do this in the TLS sucks! Bose comes off as if they are totally elite or something. Like they have spent years tweaking their system to be the ultimate in your particular car. NOT! In reality, it's only a marginal system. I don't want to get caught up in the entire mess of tearing my entire NEW car apart and rewiring and adding amps here and adding eq amps there, and butchering the doors or trunk... (or worse yet trusting someone else to butcher my new $30K plus car) but I would like to improve the sound just enough to be able to live with it... without destroying anything. QUESTION... How does one go about acquiring and replacing a factory Bose speaker in the first place? (like if it were to crap out or something) The Bose website makes it sound like you can't possibly mod their stuff and they don't sell to the public. The window panel tweeters in the CLS look really sweet! How would one go about buying these and then wiring them into the TLS? Is it possible? I've read here about people adding aftermarket tweeters in that spot... but they just don't look as nice... (my wife would never stand for the cheap aftermarket look) If you can't buy the Bose tweeters, how do they expect you to replace a blown speaker? Go to the Dealer everytime and pay big bucks for a speaker that sucks? If I could pull it off without too much hassle, my plan would be to replace the door speakers with better aftermarket speakers, (ones that would put out the same volume as the Bose 2 ohm jobs?) and then add the factory looking Bose CLS tweeters to my TLS. I would probably need to add some kind of simple crossover that would mount in the door somewhere, but that is about the extent of the mods that I would be willing to risk. I might just try adding the tweeters first and see if it was still neccessary to replace the door speakers? But then again, how hard is it to take the door panels on and off? I'm afraid of risking damage doing this more than once. NOTHING ever goes back as easy as it comes off... I am not that concerned as to the exact EQ characteristics, as I'm not sitting in my living room and the current response is far from optimal in the first place. As long as I had the high frequencies pointed somewhere near my ears with better overall clarity and with the volume near the stock level, I would be relatively happy. Sorry for the long post, but I am just trying to get all of my points across to avoid options being discussed that I'm not prepared to go through... Any comments? Thanks a lot!
Old 02-18-2002, 07:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
I got a comment that was one long post. Ok well u are right about the TL's system. When I get my sound system I want to ad tweeters to the base of the A pillar or to that black triangle thing where the side mirriors are, sound just needs for defintion. But in the TL wiring will be the hardest thing. Do a search on tweeters and I bet you can find some useful info. I would go with Infinity or Polk tweeters.