Bluetooth Setup w/o new Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth Setup w/o new Head Unit

Dear friends - I'm a new poster but have been a lurker for a while. Last fall, my dealer kindly replaced my transmission and gave me a new TL as a loaner.

In the few days I had the loaner, I really enjoyed the integrated Bluetooth HandsFreeLink....I'm not really interested in changing out my head unit (or buying a new TL) - has anybody put an aftermarket Bluetooth system in their car?

I'm talking about the ones that are hands-free and mute the radio....I believe Motorola and Parrot have offerings in this space.

Questions that come up - where did you put the microphone?, how rough was the installation?, is it worth it?

I'm the proud owner of a 2002 TL-S without Navi - Thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
that's gonna be alot o' work.... you'll need to get hands-free-module.... mic mounted right where the 02 TL's sun-glass holder.... new HU, (if you get them in navi, you'll also need the screen, dvd drive, etc) not to mention the wiring involved, time and $$$$..... too much trouble, might as well go with the aftermarket HU..... we have enough trouble upgrading the HU from 04-06 to 07-08..... and that's within the same gen.

Originally Posted by tjjarc
Dear friends - I'm a new poster but have been a lurker for a while. Last fall, my dealer kindly replaced my transmission and gave me a new TL as a loaner.

In the few days I had the loaner, I really enjoyed the integrated Bluetooth HandsFreeLink....I'm not really interested in changing out my head unit (or buying a new TL) - has anybody put an aftermarket Bluetooth system in their car?

I'm talking about the ones that are hands-free and mute the radio....I believe Motorola and Parrot have offerings in this space.

Questions that come up - where did you put the microphone?, how rough was the installation?, is it worth it?

I'm the proud owner of a 2002 TL-S without Navi - Thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 12:03 PM
6th Gear

psheu - you're scaring me....

My wife's car is an Odyssey and I found this on the web (http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...threadid=44689). I was hoping the TL community would have some comments about this type of setup.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want it to be integrated and not appear as an add-on, he is right; it will be a lot of work. However, there must be 100 ways to get bluetooth. Handsfree unit that runs off of your lighter etc. Or the good ole earpiece.

would be my best suggestion for a good broad idea. Others may have input, but thats all I got. New Head Unit with bluetooth will certainly be your easiest route.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Racer

So I have both a Blitzsafe and a Motorola T605 kit ordered and on their way here.

I was originally going to have the blitzsafe wired to a 4 ring plug and have the mic wired up as well. (4 ring plugs are what they use to have stereo and microphone)

Then I saw the Morolla kit (Which handles A2DP stereo bluetooth profile), I figured I would check it out and see if its doeable.

So my plan is to wire up the T605 to the Blitzafe and use that set-up. One down side that I can foresee is that I wont be able to hear the ringer on my phone while listening to the radio since it will be done via bluetooth and that audio will be pumped thru the aux channel (CD x2).
This sounded like an attractive solution.
So I will have plenty to occupy some time and figure out some ideal ways to rig this system up.

Also, I think I got both units off of E-bay for a total of about $120 shipped. I've spent that much on Bluetooth earpieces over the years just to use in my vehicle.

Let me know what you guys think! I will have a camera person help document the events :-P
Old 10-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Sounds interesting, good luck!
Old 10-25-2008, 03:39 PM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it really shouldn't be too difficult if you want it.
just mount the mic near the sunglasses holder and hardwire a basic bluetooth device.

you could even make it simpler by just getting a parrot type device and mounting the whole thing inside your sunglasses holder.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by spl1011
So I have both a Blitzsafe and a Motorola T605 kit ordered and on their way here.

I was originally going to have the blitzsafe wired to a 4 ring plug and have the mic wired up as well. (4 ring plugs are what they use to have stereo and microphone)

Then I saw the Morolla kit (Which handles A2DP stereo bluetooth profile), I figured I would check it out and see if its doeable.

So my plan is to wire up the T605 to the Blitzafe and use that set-up. One down side that I can foresee is that I wont be able to hear the ringer on my phone while listening to the radio since it will be done via bluetooth and that audio will be pumped thru the aux channel (CD x2).
This sounded like an attractive solution.
So I will have plenty to occupy some time and figure out some ideal ways to rig this system up.

Also, I think I got both units off of E-bay for a total of about $120 shipped. I've spent that much on Bluetooth earpieces over the years just to use in my vehicle.

Let me know what you guys think! I will have a camera person help document the events :-P

Since I dont have the stock Navigation on my car, I might be able to hijack the Nav Inputs A11-A14 inputs for the motorola's Handsfree audio. Thus it should be able to mute the radio, handle calls and ringers.
Does anyone know if the Nav Mute input is a "ground/active" line? (meaning a ground must be sensed for it to mute audio)

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Racer

Installation underway

Well, today is the day... well, rather, it started last night.

But I am integrating a blitzsafe aux input adapter and a Motorola T605 Bluetooth wireless interface into my '02 TL-S w/o nav.

My progress so far:

Everything is taken apart... and then some. I think I removed far more panels than is necessary, however I dont mind since this project is experimental and I need all the breathing room I can get.

My headunit CD changer got stuck, so that slowed me down a bit in that I was able to open it up, see the trays and kinda figure out what the hang up was. This had happened before, but I did not remove the HU (just banging it did the trick back then). So that slowed me down, but now it operates as advertised.

The answer is clear: THE NAV MUTE needs 12VDC to go active (MUTE AUDIO). It is NOT a ground/active.
And it needs 12V. I rigged up a voltage divider on a bread board to deliver 5V and the audio would not mute.

The T605 unit uses a Ground/Active line to mute. Thus the T605 provides a ground. I will simply stick about a 12-22k ohm resister in there (I dont know what the load of the moto unit is, so I wanted very little current) and that should take care of my "switching" problem.

So with that out of the way, I am taking a small break before I wire everything up that needs to be wired and we'll see what happens.

I am trying to take pics here and there, but it gets distracting... and IM a poor hand model :-P.
Tho I do have some interesinting pics of the headunit opened up.

Question out there... and please reply for all you TL owners with Stock nav units:

When the volume is turned down on the stereo, do you still hear the navigation call outs?? How is the nav volume controled? I guess, how does the nav audio work in harmony with the HU?

I plan on using the Nav audio +/- lines to get the audio through it. IF that doesnt work, meaning I will be hearing the radio in the back speakers, then I might have to find another way - possibly using the blitsafe to get the audio thru via the aux input. Not sure how that might all work out.

The T605 also handles A2DP (Stereo Bluetooth) as well as provides a 3.5mm jack for wired audio. That is what the blitzsafe is for, to handle the T605 stereo outputs.

Stay tuned.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Racer

Sorry, but I was rather vague about the "switching" issue... there will need to be a transistor in there to do the switching, but the resistor is in there to be a load. Also, there needs to be a load into the T605 unit... ehh... its better explained in a drawing which I hope to share.
Just wanted to keep myself honest with you folks. :-P
Old 11-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Racer

Success!!!

Success!! Tonight I now have handsfree bluetooth telephone and stereo integrated into my '02 TL-s with a stock headunit.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:42 AM
8th Gear

Thoughts on the Motorola T605

spl1011 - what are your thoughts of the motorola T605? I have one on order - my wife needed handsfree in her 2001 TL and I found the T605 for cheap on ebay. The TL does have Nav. Is the blitzsafe required for the install? I saw a couple of Peripheral adapters (wireharness and MSS switch) but says it's not compatible if the car has the bose sound system.... not sure why - guess there's an extra amp somewhere.... Just wanted to get your thoughts on how you like the T605. If you're listening to the radio or another source, do you have to toggle to the Blitzsafe to get phone audio when you get a call? The latest iphone update allows for A2DP so I was hoping to get music via bluetooth as well... just need to figure out the best (and most cost effective) way to get the T605 integrated with the stereo...