best budget component speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:05 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best budget component speakers?

Opinions, please. What are the best budget component speakers that will easily mount in the front doors of a 2nd gen TL? Say, under $200 on eBay.

And is it worth getting components for the rear doors? If so, then what is the best budget component speaker that will fit in all four doors? Otherwise, what speaker do you recommend for the rear to go with your front door recommendation?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check these places Crystal Mobile, Online Stereo or Infinite Car Audio. They really have some excellent prices on component speakers under $200. Hope this helps ya!
Old 12-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jthorne
Opinions, please. What are the best budget component speakers that will easily mount in the front doors of a 2nd gen TL? Say, under $200 on eBay.

And is it worth getting components for the rear doors? If so, then what is the best budget component speaker that will fit in all four doors? Otherwise, what speaker do you recommend for the rear to go with your front door recommendation?

Thanks!
On a personal note, I favor separates cause they just sound so much better, and the music is much more defined. I would not recommend components for the back doors, I would use a 6.5 two way as a filler. Speaker selection is a matter of personal choice. I would recommend you go have a listen to em at a car audio shop. There are a number of speaker manufacturers with component speakers and the the prices vary starting around $150 to above $400. I'm pretty sure some of the other audio enthusiasts can provide you with an insight as to their favorites. I like Crystal Mobil Sound, Focal and Diamond.

Check these places Crystal Mobile, Online Stereo or Infinite Car Audio. They really have some excellent prices on component speakers under $200. Hope this helps ya!
Old 12-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I got my Focals from Indoaudio off Ebay...they were like $250/pair. But he has lots of other good prices. I got components in all doors, because it wasnt much more. the only reason why people say not to in the back is because most think its a waste of money (true, but I didnt care). You could save some money and just get a coax speaker in the back and a component in the front.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I got my Diamond M661's for just under $200 on ebay. I made a trim ring/spacer and just had to trim the metal door opening with tin snips at the bottom. I just put coaxials in the rear. The rear is really just a personal choice. Whatever your budget allows, go for it.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diamonds... but they say the m6 series is not worth the extra money.. the m3 series sound just as good.. at least this is what everyone tells me... i have not been able to compair them side by side so i cant say if that is true or not..
Old 12-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Racer

I also bought Diamond M661's on eBay for $200. I didn't have to cut any metal to get them to fit. I did have to take the crossovers out of the plastic case to make those fit inside the doors. (If you buy those, PM me for tips on that).

Nice thing about eBay--you can buy new audiophile quality speakers for budget prices.

One note: see my recent post about replacing the speaker wire. I was very unhappy with the sound of my new speakers until I finally rolled up my sleeves and pulled new speaker wire.

The Diamonds are very bright/revealing and need good power + good wire to give good midbass response. I had to turn my treble down to be happy with the sound in such a small space. I love the incredible quality of the sound they produce, but were I to do it again I'd be looking for silk or woven tweeters instead of metal.

JBL P652's also fit without cutting (coaxials, what I have in rear). I think the JL components also fit without mods.

One question: you're not planning to keep the stock head unit, are you?
Old 12-21-2004, 11:13 AM
6th Gear

No, I've already changed out the HU. I had a Kenwood KDC-MPV5025 that had been in my '92 Acura Legend (which died a horrible death... thus, I now drive a 2001 Acura TL), so I went ahead and installed it so I'd keep some free cash flow for speakers. For those looking into HUs, the Kenwood user interface has been highly optimzed to make sure humans have a hard time using it. That, and its inability to search on song title ID3 tags while still playing a different song are big difficiencies, though otherwise it's a decent system for the money.

Having 3 small children (oldest is 5) and attempting to use a private school forces me to be very budget conscious. I can't aim for audiophile air... just aiming for a modest sound at a modest price. Thus the title of this thread.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Racer

Well, as much as I like my diamonds, I wouldn't recommend them if you don't have an eq. With the windows up there is simply too much treble. (Mounting tweeters lower would help). I heard some JL components (whatever their top-end is) that I thought sounded great. But, you know how it is in the stereo shop, always too timid to really crank it all the way... They were $350 in the store, so I'll bet you can find them for $175 on eBay (new).

The thing that will really help your sound quality for about $20 and a lot of labor is pulling new wire to the speakers. I can't believe what a difference it made for my system. (I also have a 2001 TL).
Old 12-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Racer

Hey, I'll say this about the diamonds: I was just listening to The Beatles "You're gonna lose that girl" and I didn't know there were bongo drums in the background until now.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DerrickM
Hey, I'll say this about the diamonds: I was just listening to The Beatles "You're gonna lose that girl" and I didn't know there were bongo drums in the background until now.
Ya same with my Focals (or any higher end speaker really), I have heard new little sounds that I have never heard in some of my favorite songs! pretty sweet actually
Old 12-23-2004, 12:54 AM
Racer

I don't think you can grab a set of good focals for that price, but if you can you can't go wrong with them.. other than the fact that they have horrible customer service. (+2 month turn around to replace speakers).

JL makes a decent set of component sets, (not needed in the back just get a 6.5 two way for rear fill. )

Your best bet is to spend MORE on the front component set that can handle alot of power and NOT get rear speakers. You wil be much happier. SQ wise NOONE has rear fill speakers. They use front components and a sub. Period.

Spend the extra money on the front components. Get some kick panels if you really want top quality sound. They are about $150 for your car from Q logic from Crutchfield.com

I use DLS myself, they make real high end stuff, but then again I live in my car and well I wanted an insanely loud / SQ system.

Ryan