TL: Best Brand ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Best Brand ?

Hey all, I am looking to buy a top of the line , double din deck for my 96 TL, I want the standard Bluetooth and Nav and what not, but my biggest question, is what is the best brand? I get allot of people saying Pioneer and Alpine but I need more reasons than just " it’s what’s in my prelude" so if anyone could shout out some brands and give some reasons to why they are the best quality, from experience etc that would be great! Thanks

Logan Styfunyk
Old 01-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I've had 6 Kenwoods over the years and have been happy with each one of them.

Since you have a 1st gen TL, you should be aware that you have two wiring harnesses that go into your stock headunit. One of them is for the overhead dome speakers and tweeters on your dash. They aren't quite as loud and you'll want to buy some resistors and splice them with the other speaker wiring. Do a search in the 1st gen TL forum for the install info, its quite easy to work on our cars. I can install a new stereo in this car in a matter of a few minutes.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Advanced

Thanks for that Ken, and Thanks for the info, I was wondering about those speaker as mine currently don’t seem to be working, I can’t tell though for sure, but the car needs speakers all around, one back is gone and I had to disconnect it for now as its still my mom’s for another month or so and she doesn’t want to replace it and I can’t afford to just yet, but this caused the kicker speakers up front to overload trying to make up for my bassey music I pump when I borrow my soon to be car, and they are hurting now XD, so I am probably going to do new speakers all around, even the head unit and dash ones, and maybe throw some more in the back, I would like this thing to pound, so I am thinking a total of 12 speakers and replacing all stock 8 with good aftermarket ones, just too young for OEM speakers, they can’t handle me
Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pioneer AV-H3200DVD or 4200 line. I picked the Pioneer because they have a easy to use touch screen, high resolution and good contrast, it boots up fast. Really when it comes to these double-din units, as long as they have the feature set you want and they look good to you, you'll probably be happy. Not one double-din unit in the business has active crossovers or other intelligent features like auto-eq, so just get the one that fits your budget and your wants.

For me, the Pioneer was a bargain on eBay, and even with a squaretrade warranty was substantially cheaper than any other competitive unit at the time. Plus I like Pioneer decks, I think most of them are pretty snazzy.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Thanks fourthmetal, I have looked at this deck and found it appealing, although I would be enticed to upgrade to the model with GPS the AVIC-F series,(whichever is newest that I can get for a good price) I wasn’t to concerned before about GPS, and I was looking at a nice cheap JVC double din, as I have a real nice JVC deck in my truck and this is basically the double din version, but I was told that for the system I want the JVC won’t hold up, says some. And as I thought more about it I decided I want GPS, I am bad with remember street names , and although sometimes annoying, I have used handheld GPS's before to get around and found having them as an option nice, but mounting them on the dash risky as they have fallen and broken on people I know(my mother included) , and having to plug them in when the battery dies is annoying, I decided having a GPS right in the dash would be a good luxury for a car like the TL that I plan to cruise around allot it and take road trips in. And I feel I should say sorry to you and Ken for the lengthy responses :P.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:52 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put in a P3200dvd in my 03 tl. Its capable of adding navi, bluetooth, and camera, i opted not to get these features because well my phone has a gps.

This Headunit is one of the best i've ever purchased. I've had pioneers before and have never been disappointed.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

definately the pioneer avh 3200. I just got it installed 3 weeks ago. And thanks much to Fourth Meal for providing pictures of how it would look installed. It does everything u would definaltely love the pioneer
Old 01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

and ebay does have great prices on the head unit. i got it for $310 bucks including shipping. In the Bahamas the cheapest i found it for was $699
Old 01-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Newbie question, how do I find fourthmeal's build thread ?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 96 3.2 TL
Newbie question, how do I find fourthmeal's build thread ?

Asking is good enough

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/1999-tl-full-audio-build-ss-ae-dayton-pioneer-776606/
Old 02-01-2011, 11:42 PM
6th Gear

hi, i installed clarion cx609 in my car last week and i must say i really like it because it has that stock look and aint flashy at all but it has all the features i wanted such as ipod hookup (rear, not front so you can run the cable to the glove box), bluetooth, hd radio ready, and you can set to color to match your interior. If you like the look of the stock but hate the way it acts now (being super old) i would suggest this unit.