battery terminal question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 08:30 PM
You want me to break it?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery terminal question

Hi again - I have a question about a battery terminal to attach amp power cable to. On previous vehicles I have simply used a spade type connector and screwed it down to the terminal, but this time I am running 4 Ga power wire and want to use a terminal connector. Are all batter terminals the same size - ie can I buy any old terminal connecor/cap and it will work? Also, if anyone has a suggestion to brand or gold vs platinum plating I'd appreciate it. Getting all the goodies together to do this around Christmas ----Thanks--Brian
Old 11-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Still here

Re: battery terminal question

Originally posted by Gpump
Hi again - I have a question about a battery terminal to attach amp power cable to. On previous vehicles I have simply used a spade type connector and screwed it down to the terminal, but this time I am running 4 Ga power wire and want to use a terminal connector. Are all batter terminals the same size - ie can I buy any old terminal connecor/cap and it will work? Also, if anyone has a suggestion to brand or gold vs platinum plating I'd appreciate it. Getting all the goodies together to do this around Christmas ----Thanks--Brian
All top mount terminals are the same, unless you start looking into really small or really large batteries

The gold vs silver vs etc is just a matter or style and looks. They all conduct electricity the same. And even if there was a bit of a difference, you would never be able to tell it in a car power situation.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

there are 2 different sizes, make sure you get a POS cable clamp the neg post is larger or smaller i forget which.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: battery terminal question

Originally posted by e_lectro
All top mount terminals are the same, unless you start looking into really small or really large batteries

The gold vs silver vs etc is just a matter or style and looks. They all conduct electricity the same. And even if there was a bit of a difference, you would never be able to tell it in a car power situation.
They re the same at 1st, but the gold will not oxidize over time.

In the long run Gold connectors are better for that reason alone.