Avincar 6x9 Speaker Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avincar 6x9 Speaker Problem

I am having a problem with one of the 6x9s that came with the TSX speaker upgrade from Avincar/Elduderino. The speakers are about 2 months old. The problem just started today, the speaker cone will start rattling like crazy when producing deep bass, like Jazz bass. I checked the entire structure of the speaker and could not find any problems, so I disconnected the red wire from the speaker and then re-connected it and the rattling stopped... for a while. After about 15 minutes the rattle came back. I have repeated this sequence of events probably 5 times today. Does this make sense to anyone? A speaker is either blown or not blown, right? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I guess I will also try to contact Elduderino, but I have heard that he is out of the office.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by danotto
I am having a problem with one of the 6x9s that came with the TSX speaker upgrade from Avincar/Elduderino. The speakers are about 2 months old. The problem just started today, the speaker cone will start rattling like crazy when producing deep bass, like Jazz bass. I checked the entire structure of the speaker and could not find any problems, so I disconnected the red wire from the speaker and then re-connected it and the rattling stopped... for a while. After about 15 minutes the rattle came back. I have repeated this sequence of events probably 5 times today. Does this make sense to anyone? A speaker is either blown or not blown, right? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I guess I will also try to contact Elduderino, but I have heard that he is out of the office.
Blown or not blown... That is the question.....

A speaker has many components that could cause a rattle without any visual problem. It sounds like the tinsle lead on the back of the speaker is hitting the cone. Or the voice coil could have separated from it's ring shaped former. Either way I would have the thing swapped out.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Are you using the stock headunit and amp? I didn't thing either can generate enough power at any frequency to blow out a speaker. About the only good thing about the output of the stock equipment being too soft (in my opinion) is that it's virtually impossible for it to distort.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Instructor

The Avincar system uses the stock amp. I am sure that the speaker was not damaged by excessive power, something else is going on. Interestingly, the speaker did not rattle/flap today at all. I have no idea what is going on...
Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I've heard that when you run out of power, that's when you get distortion, and that's tougher for speakers to handle. Although, I've tortured them pretty well, I mean, broken them in, and they seem to handle a lot, so I dunno... You probably just got "lucky" (all bad luck) and got a defective unit. But the speakers are not designed for a high-power amp; Elduderino said that if you wanted to add an amp, he'd recommend/sell different speakers. So my guess is that the stock amp probably could still damage them if you pushed it too far.

The amount of bass you can get out of the stock system with these speakers is impressive for not being a dedicated sub. Not "rattle the windows" bass, but certainly shake your rear view mirror and then some. It's plenty loud.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have an underpowered speaker the amp will clip the signal which will yield high frequencies at high output levels, just the kind of signals to blow a speaker.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Alright, here is what happened. The speaker started farting around last night, so I crawled into the trunk to take a look and I noticed that the two lead wires, the ones that go through the cone and glue to the front, were touching each other. When I separated them the noise stopped.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mystery solved.