the avic-z1 Wheres can i find a kit and is it worth my money ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 04:30 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the avic-z1 Wheres can i find a kit and is it worth my money ?

i have a 05 tsx without navi and ive been itching to put in a navigation screen with multimedia functions and ive been tryin to do some research on it people are totally content with the z1 even though there are a few flaws
i was wondering if this is a good decision and if i do get it where i can find a dash kit to put it and fit perfectly also if not
i was hoping someone could tell me what some other good options are my price range being around 1300 i was told that they would sell me the z1 for 1300 and i bargained them down to 1200
I also bought two jl audio 10 inch subs in an enclosed ported box with an mtx amp i was told to buy another amp and i just bought rockford fosgate wires yesterday i wanted that nice crisp tight boom i was wondering if this is the way to go i guess you could say im totally a newb wen it comes to audio and video systems also i dont kno much about engine work im interested in putting in some work into my engine so if anyone would be kind enough to put me on and give me some advice id gladly take it thanks everyone
Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, unless you're willing to throw down for a really nice custom install, you can't get a 2-DIN unit like the Z1 into a TSX. There are no "dash kits" for a double din unit for the TSX. If you're willing to put down the coin and sacrifice both of your storage pockets below the radio, then the Z1 is supposed to be an excellent unit.

However, take a good look at the forthcoming AVIC D3. Its a dvd based unit (unlike the Z1) but has a lot of nice new features, especially around XM, Sirius, and iPod integrations. Its graphics look to be the same as or superior to the Z1 as well. I believe it is slated for release in March. I am waiting to purchase one of these for my second vehicle.

If you do want a unit that can easily fit into a TSX and do so on a budget, stick to a 1-DIN unit like the N3. You can purchase the dash adapter for the MP3 player from acura seperatly for around $70, and it converts your top storage pocket into a 1-DIN unit. From there, you can drop in your shiny new navi flip-out screen, and utilize an AUX adapter to pump the sound through your stock HU, or cut out the stock HU entirely and splice your stock speaker wires to the N3, or even better, go with a nice new amp to power your speakers from there.

Last edited by Reach; 01-22-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
about how much with it cost around to get the screen customly fit in where the stock hu is ?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't just replace the stock HU, since it also controls HVAC functions and ties in to other critical electronic components. You would have to add it, in addition to the HU.

It will cost a lot. Call a custom audio shop around you to get a good idea. I'm not even going to try to ballpark the numbers, I don't do that for a living.