Audiovox at Tweeter

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 02:07 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audiovox at Tweeter

I am trying to get some advice quick.

Went to Tweeter, they are selling an Audiovox Mobile DVD player, MMDV3, on clearance for $139, normally $200. I believe Audiovox has a new model so they are selling off their stock.

Here are some pics:

Then an Audiovox FM modulator, for $54. Installation on them totalled about $80, for a total of about $275.

I think he only has the floor model, which I might be able to talk him down on. Is this a good deal for $275 installed? Would it be good for $225 (my goal) installed?

TIA
Old 08-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Honda Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me. I buy all my stuff from Tweeter. Great place to shop.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

The dude at Tweeter, took one look at the interior of my car and said "I won't do this for less than $600, $400 just for labor, I would want to do the job right, and slowly since I have never worked on one of these before." He quoted me $275 earlier today, and now he wants more than double that. He probably saw how nice the new TL is and thinks I'm made of money.

$139 is an average price on the DVD player, after finding it for similar prices on the internet. I may get it anyway and have the install done elsewhere.

Is the Audiovox MMDV3 a good player? Does it have internal memory so when the car is turned off and then turn back on it will go to the same spot?
Old 08-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Go somewhere else that has worked on our car. Tweeter and Car Toys wouldnt even mess with my car when I was looking around. You will find a place that has and wont charge much more than any other car. Now that I know how to do it, I could have done it myself easy. I also didnt want to mess anything up.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Honda Lover

No offense dude, but you are driving a $33k + car. The last thing you want to do is to take to some shop that may be "the cheapest". I all my experiences in cars (both in audio and performance) price is the last thing I would look at.

I'm not saying you should get ripped of either... but a couple extra bucks to have the job done right by a reputable shop is the ONLY way to go.

OU Sig I find it hard to believe that Tweeter would not work on your car. I have personally seen a Bentley, 360 Spyder, F355 and a Porsche GT3 at my local Tweeter just to name a few. I think the TL would be childs play by comparison.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 11psiGSR

OU Sig I find it hard to believe that Tweeter would not work on your car. I have personally seen a Bentley, 360 Spyder, F355 and a Porsche GT3 at my local Tweeter just to name a few. I think the TL would be childs play by comparison.

Well I guess I made that one up then...oh well. I do know that they originally quoted me $900, then the installer had no idea about the navigation and said he would have to mount the stock HU somewhere in the car...= more money...basically they werent to happy about it and didnt make me believe they knew anything. So I found a place up here that charged me $560 for everything, including the box. and they let me stick around whenever I wanted so I could make sure they were as good to my car as I would.

So Tweeter will probably do it...depending on which one you go too.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

The Tweeter store have varing degrees of installers in them. So OU I would say the guys in your area just have much expirience. Gadget there has to be someone that is skilled enough to do the job you want. I know Huntsville is not the 12 volt mecca but Nashville is not too far away. Plus Chattanooga has a couple good guys I could recommend. If you needed I could also recommend some people in Atlanta. Don't be afraid if they haven't worked on a TL before. There are some good guys out there with skills. Let them show you there work and listen to what they might recommend. You never know. I know there are plenty of rocket scientist in Huntsville.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Thanks Batman, I am one of the Rocket scientists.

I will be in Daytona Beach from next weekend to mid- December.. I'm sure I can find a great place in Orlando, Tampa, or even Miami (bit of a drive).

Anyone have recommendations for installers in Florida?