Audio and Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio and Speaker Question

Guys,
I am trying to put together a Kick ASS stereo system. Right now I have a PPI 2 Channel AMP and 1 12' woofer. I am calling on all your expertiese and knowledge of what Type of speaker I should put in the front and what amp I should use? MB Quart? Infinity comp? What do you guys think will give me the best Sound?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what is your budget and what kind of music do you listen to?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Cruisin'

System

I really don't have a budget. I listen to everything from metal to POP, no classical. I am looking for a VERy high end system. I really want loud and CLEAR.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
loud and clear...your probably want a sql setup.

components: since you like your music to be "CLEAR" you will want to get a set where the tweeters are made of hard material e.g. metal or graphite. Those will be bright and snappy. I might make your ears bleed but they're clear. As far as brands go, im not sure which ones are made of metal or graphite.

Subwoofer: you might want to look into resonant engineering
Old 01-23-2006, 10:53 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLBaller
loud and clear

components: since you like your music to be "CLEAR" you will want to get a set where the tweeters are made of hard material e.g. metal or graphite.
Oh, baloney.

Everybody says that.

OK, kid, first off, you have to pick a budget. If you don't I will recommend a $5000 system and then you'll freak.

Will you install it or will someone else (i.e., a shop?)

I would suggest going and listening to high end speakers and a home store - day Dynaudios, Thiels, etc. Give yourself a good reference of what's possible.

THEN I would look at some respected brands like DLS, Dynaudio, Morel, CDT, and even Focal (not my fave).
Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 PM
Instructor

cannemt7, hopefully you are realistic and realize that a "kick-ass" system cannot be had for a few hundred $. you can get a better system for a few hundred $, if you shop wisely. by the way, what is a a "kick ass" system? extremely loud bass? extremely deep bass? precise imaging? expansive 3D soundstage? remember that a good install is as expensive as the parts, and often a good install can be 75 to 90% of the sound quality. go out and listen to as many systems as you can and then choose what really is a "kick ass" system to you. it will probably mean that you need to be like a lot of us and will need to save up more money thn we thought at first we would need.cheap and good are, typically, mutually exclusive, unfortunately. jps
Old 01-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLBaller
components: since you like your music to be "CLEAR" you will want to get a set where the tweeters are made of hard material e.g. metal or graphite. Those will be bright and snappy. I might make your ears bleed but they're clear. As far as brands go, im not sure which ones are made of metal or graphite.

I know a bunch of metal/magnesium alloy/etc tweeters that are smoother than most soft dome, and I know a bunch of soft dome tweeters that are clear sounding with some damn good top end extention.

My 1" Seas Protos are fabric type, yet they have top end shimmer and extention like most metal-type tweeters.