Attn EQ Bypass experts, Another question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn EQ Bypass experts, Another question

Hi Guys

I'm trying to set up the EQ system with larger mid-bass comp set in the front doors (probably Adire Kodas), which could go as low as 60Hz. And thats what I'm going to try. I like my bass up front instead of coming from back.

My question is does anybody know what the sub signal is crossed at? Looking at the POS stock system, I think it should be around 90-100Hz, which is what I don't want.
If I bypass the EQ, is the speaker signal a full range signal?
I think its better to use the speaker outs from the HU, pass it to the active crossover and then feed that to the amps.
But the problem is what if the door speaker signals are already crossed? I don't think the stock bose speaker are getting full range signal.

I'm kinda confused over which signal to use for the sub.
Please HELP ME OUT!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 01:18 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've found the easiest way is to tap into the pre-EQ'd wires between the HU and EQ. Use a nice soldered tap. Leave the original wires to the EQ intact to leave the EQ in circuit so it's happy and won't give you any hum/whine to deal with. Since your running new speaker wires to your doors, just tape up the stock speaker wires and let them float in your doors.
Run your tapped signal to your amps as a low-level input. This will be a full range signal, well as good as you can get from the stock HU. You can use your sub amp's xo for your sub, assuming it has one.
PS, I'm a big Adire fan so keep us posted on the Kodas.
Good luck
Old 06-13-2003, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Brewboy
I've found the easiest way is to tap into the pre-EQ'd wires between the HU and EQ. Use a nice soldered tap. Leave the original wires to the EQ intact to leave the EQ in circuit so it's happy and won't give you any hum/whine to deal with. Since your running new speaker wires to your doors, just tape up the stock speaker wires and let them float in your doors.
Run your tapped signal to your amps as a low-level input. This will be a full range signal, well as good as you can get from the stock HU. You can use your sub amp's xo for your sub, assuming it has one.
PS, I'm a big Adire fan so keep us posted on the Kodas.
Good luck
So the EQ is acting as crossover also!!!
As you know its boosting the high frequencies, which is not a pure signal. I'm going to bypass the EQ. If I bypass it correctly as per the instruction posted on this site, I don't think I'll get the engine whine etc. The question is what is the freq. range of the sub-out signal after bypassing the EQ?
Old 06-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I beleive the sub-out signal is not EQ'd at all. If I remember correctly, there is a passive xo on the bottom of the rear deck between the stock sub amp and sub.
If your installing a new sub and amp, you shouldn't use the sub-out signal anyways. You should be using the signal your pulling from the HU when you bypass the EQ.