Attention Anyone with Aftermarket Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention Anyone with Aftermarket Speakers

I am needing anyone who has aftermarket door speakers to please help. I want to know what you have in the doors and did they have to cut metal to install them.

As most of you know, I went with Alpine 6 1/2" Type R's and these beasts will not fit in the front doors. I just got a new Crutchfield mag and "now" they list them as a 6 3/4". Where was that before I made my decision. Anyway, I just do not like the kick panel install. There is such little foot room anyway and I think the sound is a little overbearing.

So, what I need to know is, what are you putting in your door that fill fit without cutting. Let me know any and all of them.

Thanks so much for the help.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:26 PM
10th Gear

5-1/4" mbquarts fit without any cutting.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Racer

I'd say anything over 5 1/4" will require cutting. The stock hole left after removing the speaker is very small and very odd shaped. I've complete the spacers for my ID Chameleon 5 1/4s but haven't pulled the door panels to see the fit yet. I don't think it will be a problem at all.

The 6.5 Kickers Systek put in are probably one of the best choices based strictly on size. Their mounting depth is more shallow than many others out there so you won't have to worry about having a very thick spacer to deal with.

Two problems remain: A) You still have to cut the door. B) The Kicker Resolution comps retail @ $350 or so.

PS - If I'm not satisfied with the 5 1/4 IDs after installing them, would you be interested in buying them? I believe you were the one who said they were the best speakers you've ever heard.

Good luck with whatever path you choose!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

aquamans....can you tell me the model you used?

bozzchem....When are you going to put yours in? I have a set in my mdx and love them. I was actually going to take them out of the mdx and try them in the tl to check the fit. I would be very interested but, I am wanting to do something pretty quick. I will have the Alpine's that I could trade if you would be interested. I plan on selling them anyway. You could actually save me some trouble if you can just tell me if the ID's fit. Thanks and let me know.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
What are you gonna do with the Type R's???. Have u tired 5 1/4 type r's in the doors. My next speakers will be the MB quartz so give them a try. Good luck bro, I know you put alot of work in those kicks. Or wait buy the q logic kicks and see if anything good can fit in there.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:16 AM
Burning Brakes

dnd.....The Type R's will be for sale in just a few days. Looks like I just made a deal today for a set of Image 5 1/4" Chameleons. I am hoping these will go in the door. If something happens they do not, they will go in the back doors of the MDX.

I have not tried the 5 1/4" Type R's. I was hoping bozz had tried his Chameleons but, I can not pass up the good deal on the ones I am getting. So if they work out, I will have an almost brand new set of Alpine 6 3/4" Type R components for sale. If anyone is interested in them, let me know.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Advanced

how much u planing on selling them???
Old 01-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Cruisin'

I just put (4) Infinity 65.2i's in and they fit fine. Well, close to it. All I had to do is cut the bottom of the rain basket out to accomodate the speaker terminals. Best of all, the speakers are on clearance for about 50-60$ a pair. They seem to have decent mid-bass, but god-awful clear highs. My wife loves them, I have to turn the treble down somewhat. When I crank the system though, they stand out. According to infinity's literature, these speakers use their 'plus one' cones. If you go to the store and measure, the cones are actually a little bit bigger than anyone else's in the 6.5 range. Rubber surround, pivot tweeter, seems like a good buy to me...
Old 01-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

DIVA....Not sure yet. Probably looking at around $125-$150. I need to make sure my other deal goes thru and then pretty much they will be up for sale.

Madman....Thanks for the info. The Infinities and Polks were the only ones I knew for sure would fit.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:55 PM
Instructor

I have the infinity 6.5 reference series in ...
Old 01-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Well, I lost out on my first offer for the Image speakers but, I have others. I thought I would post that I will sell the Alpine's for $100 plus shipping. If anyone is interested, let me know. They are for sale now.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey acurax2... would the alpine speakers work if you made spacers...
Old 01-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Not without cutting the metal. Problem is, the basket is just massive. The pic on the website just does not show how big the basket is. It would take about a 2" spacer to make it fit. It's either kick panels or cut the metal. Maybe someone creative could come up with something but, that is all I could come up with.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:30 AM
Burning Brakes

cut the metal, cut the metal...!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 07:25 AM
Burning Brakes

so much pressure.....aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!

where's my saw, hehe????
Old 01-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Safety Car

I see you are still having a hard time deicieding? o yea can u send me the link for your mdx. I kinda wanna see that install again. I remember seeing it a while back.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

dnd....Yes, I am having a hard time deciding. I just about have made a deal on some 6 1/2" Chameleons, I hope.

Here is the link: http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showt...&threadid=6795

Some things have changed from this install. The MTX amps are gone. The Kicker sub is gone. The playstation is now under the passengers seat, when it is in.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Safety Car

so where did u get the name slackA$$. lol

THats also a nice install. is the PS2 for the kids? wait do uhave kids? Again u did a great job wit the MDX. Now I am gonna go study some Bio and do a lab report. But first I need to go pick up my solo box. Ill let ya know how taht turns out.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

The name actually is kinda a joke. If you ever remember the sitcom Wings. There was a character named Lowell, he was the mechanic. Another character Roy, one day said "Lowell, you are a slacka$$". Lowell, not knowing it was an insult said "cool, slackass, I like that". It just kinda stuck with me. I hope nobody takes offense with it.

The PS2 is for the big kid, me. It is how we watch DVD's more than games. We went to Cali at Christmas for 2 weeks and it really passes the time being able to watch movies on the road. No kids yet but, maybe soon.

Thanks for the words about the install. It is still a work in progress. New amps, new sub and maybe dolby digital.

Let me know how you like the ported box. I would like to know the sound diff to you.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:38 PM
Instructor

I have access to a standard milling machine, brake, shear and lathe, but I would love to have access to a CNC machine.... so many more possibilities...

You could make some coin turning out baffle plates and spacers (if you don't get fired for using the company equipment after hours)
Old 01-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Cruisin'

not to mention being able to make some awesome dash kits for aftermarket Head Units!!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

sask and madman.....I do not have to worry about getting fired because I am the owner. Mostly, I just cut out circles when I need then and drill some holes. The face plate was my first. I just do not have alot of time to try making things. Made some really cool trim rings for my MDX out of aluminum. Check out the link above and you can see them for the Image door speakers. Possibilities are endless, if I have the time.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:44 AM
Cruisin'

Forgive my ignorance slacka$$ (love Wings!) But how does a CNC machine differ in ability from a Wire EDM Machine? What I am getting at, can it cut 3D from an already modeled object? Just wondering about the least expensive way to get a good quality Dash Kit... Without paying 170$ for it!!!.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

A CNC mill could cut 3d shapes but for, a one time part such as a custom dash kit, it would not be cost effective. Plus, most are 3 axis machines, X Y Z, meaning side to side, back and forth, and up and down. You would need the ability to cut at least a 4th axis to do it properly. My rate is $60 and hour and alot of places are higher than that. Setup time would be where it would get you. $170 is really not that bad for someone having to start from scratch and make a part
Old 01-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Cruisin'

That makes sense to me. I was just looking for an alternative to custom making an ABS dash kit. Someone had one custom molded, and it looks great, but start up costs got him too, and now since they have the mold, they are selling them for 170$. Looks like I will be investing 20$ in some ABS and a days worth of time!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:14 AM
Bada Bing

6 1/2" Focal Polykevlar 165K2's - no cutting required.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Sly.....No kidding??? Did you do them yourself??? What kind of spacer did you use?? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:27 AM
Bada Bing

Originally posted by AcuraX2
Sly.....No kidding??? Did you do them yourself??? What kind of spacer did you use?? Thanks.
I had them installed by the shop that did my stereo. Since then I've had my car apart what feels like 1001 times...The speakers are sitting on black plastic spacers that are slightly curved so they sit under the speaker edge. I would talk to a stereo shop and see if they have anything you can buy, who knows they may even give them to you.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I just got my Image Chameleon 6 1/2" today. I think they might actually fit without any mods. I can not wait to tackle that.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:50 PM
Racer

How much did you pay for the 6 1/2 comps? Do you know anyone else selling some?

Keep us posted as to how you install them if you don't have to cut the doors. I don't think it's possible due to their mounting depth....but I'd love to find that I'm wrong!!
Old 01-29-2003, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

bozz....They were used. They were the sames ones that I pm'd you about to see if you wanted them. I went ahead and snagged them. I gave $200 for them. A steal in my opinion for how they sound.

I am not sure on the install. I have heard that a spacer as thick as 1" can be used. If that is true, then the depth would only be a shade less than 2". The magnet might squeeze in the opening. If not, I think it is time to trim some metal. I can not pass these up. The only thing he did not have was the studs that mount the tweeter to the mid. I called Image and they are sending me a kit for free. I am getting pretty excited about it. I will post the results and pics when I get going.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

hey, i just thought of something. the chameleon's tweet has a grille over it, right? so that means that if u go the coax route, the door panel will rest on the tweet thus guaranteeing that the mid wont be damaged due to excurting enough to hit the panel...right?

if that is the case, i would say it is a definite plus to getting. u can be a little off on ur trim ring thickness and still be ok as long as the door panel snaps back into place...
Old 01-30-2003, 07:01 AM
Burning Brakes

systek......Actually, I think your are exactly right. I will have to check and see if the tweeter sits above the mid. I know that on my 5 1/4's, it is very close.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:26 PM
Racer

AcuraX2,

Congrats dude! So you're the one he sold them to!

I didn't know if you were that interested in them since you had previously stated you didn't want to cut the door panel. I wasn't trying to undercut you. I sent him somewhat of a lowball bid just to feel the water and he said he had already sold them. You got a great deal on those MoFo's. I'm jealous.

If you find that you just can't bear to cut the metal to install them, I've got a set of 5 1/4" chameleons in spacers I made that I'd be more than happy to discuss a trade with you on.

If not, good luck with your install. AND TAKE PICS!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

bozz......I really did not want to trim the doors and I still think it is going to be close. I hope I did not take them away from you. I thought since he still had them that maybe you decided against them. I will let you and everyone know how it goes. I have pretty much decided that if I have to trim some metal, so be it. I know it will be a very small amount. Especially compared to the amount I would have had to cut for the Alpine's. Poor guy I sold those to go them today and said they are too big for his install so, he is turning around and selling them.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Racer

AcuraX2,

Since you pointed me towards the seller, I owe you...not vice versa. The fact that you ponied up the $$$ for them means that you are totally entitled to them. I know how great they are going to sound which is why I'm so jealous of you!! I'd be happy to take them off your hands if you decide to go another route!?!?

I'm sorry, but I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that you'll fit those 6.5's in the door without doing some mods. After I emailed ID and got the specs on the mids, I knew installation of the 6.5's would require the use of my jigsaw/scrollsaw. They are actually a 7" mid so they will require some cutting. It's not that big of a deal. Initiially I wanted to stick with stock everything...now that I've thought about it...I'm getting rid of the stock everything. It's too big of a pain in the ass dealing with the stock BS. I'll pop in an Alpinge HU with an Alpine disc changer and be done with it.

PLEASE let me know if you wish to part with the 6.5 ID Chameleons. I'd love to have a full ID system.

Any way you slice it, good luck with your install!!!

I'm very comfortable with my jigsaw, so I don't have a big problem with cutting the metal. Like I said, if you want to trade the 6.5s for the 5.25s, let me know. I've already set them in a 3/4" spacer so they should fit perfectly without any other mods.

YMMV, so it's up to you.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bozzchem
I'm very comfortable with my jigsaw, so I don't have a big problem with cutting the metal. Like I said, if you want to trade the 6.5s for the 5.25s, let me know. I've already set them in a 3/4" spacer so they should fit perfectly without any other mods.
and my pix...

hey, who else on here has cut their doors anyway? i havent heard that anyone else has done so...
Old 01-31-2003, 07:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by systek
cut the metal, cut the metal...!!!

See, it is systek's fault that I am even considering cutting the metal. I just could not take the pressure.

Believe it or not though, the ID is quite a bit smaller than the Alpine. The magnet is about the same but, the basket is alot smaller. If there is cutting to be done, it should not be much.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:38 PM
Racer

I agree, it's all Systek's fault!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 07:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Well today is the day. Bozz, you are right. There is cutting to be done. NO way around it. How much I am not sure. I am going to make spacers out of MDF or particle board. Then use the inside of the spacer and trace it onto the door panel. I am heading out to play golf this morning and the weather is suppose to be awesome. So, as soon as I get home, it is time to start. I am going to try and take pics during the process. I am so excited to hear the Image 6 1/2's. I have to keep myself slowed down and not rushing.

Quick Reply: Attention Anyone with Aftermarket Speakers