Assistance with XM Commander wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 12:08 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assistance with XM Commander wiring

I recently purchased an XM Commander and I'm ready to get it powered up. I have read several posts regarding the installation of the component, but it is not clear to me how to get wire it for power. I figured it would be as easy as splicing it to the cigarette lighter wires, but it does not seem to be that easy from my reading. Seems like the ACC power can come from the cigarette lighter, but I am not sure which wire it to use for that connection. The constant 12v might be able to come from another wire or possibly from the fuse panel? Does anyone have any suggestions for getting power? Any lessons learned and / or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-18-2004, 01:36 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Personally, I would go to the factory amp and get 12V bat and 12V acc there. For wiring info see http://acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10375
Old 06-18-2004, 01:43 AM
Instructor

I used the middle console cigarette lighter for my acc power. Just lift up the rubber mat in the console and remove the screw to take out the lighter and splice off of that. For a constant 12v I tapped in to the interior fuse box using a fuse tap from radio shack. I think I used the radio fuse. My XM control modue is mounted under drivers seat and all wires run under center console. My commander display is mounted in sunglass holder. I ran the display wire up the side pillar into headliner in front of sunroof. ( be careful, dont wrap wire around side curtain airbag). When you peel the headliner back in front of the sunroof, you drill a hole into the back of the sunglass holder. Hole and wire is invisible once installed. Use a spade drill bit because the connector is big, cut like butter
Old 06-18-2004, 10:48 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
AHHHHH! Don't use fuse taps!

They spread the fuse contacts in the box (the springy metal pieces that the fuse sticks into) and can eventually cause loose connections in the fuse box, requiring the entire fuse box to be replaced.

Besides, they look dorky.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'm trying to decide where to put my XM Commander main module... I'm hesitant to put it under one of the seats because then i have to figure out how to run the wires to the center console without them being visible... has anyone else put it anywhere else? It looks like it MIGHT fit behind the storage compartments (under the radio.. above the amp) but it would be a tight squeeze and I can't see where I could acutally attach it to anything to keep it from wiggling around.

Also, has anyone gone down the passenger pillar for wiring to the sunglass holder? If it doesn't matter either way, it seems like there would be more room to work if i did it on the passenger side.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:13 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the insight!

Thanks for the insight on the installation everyone.... I looked into the fuse taps and would agree they are probabbly not the best solution. You really have to find the mini taps which Radio Shack does not carry.

I ended up taking the power from the amp using wire taps which were purchased at Radio Shack. This was prettty easy and was reccomended by the guy I bought them from who seemed pretty knowledgable on this type of stuff. Simply un-bolt the amp, then cut the tape around the bulk of wires. Of course, I taped everything back, so it doesn't look like mess.

I ended up mounting the XM module behind a side panel on the passenger side (under the dash). Behind this panel, you have plenty of room to mount the box. I used double sided adhesive tape to keep the box mounted. There is also a conveinenet bolt that can be used to connect the groud wire to. To run the wires, take off the panel under the glove box, just pull it down, then out. This hides them pretty well when put back into place.

I mounted the display unit in the Not an Ashtray compartment, so I have no idea how you would run the wires to the sun glasses holder.

The official TSX XM option installation guide helped me out a good bit with ideas and shows how things should come appart.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dajinni
I ended up taking the power from the amp using wire taps which were purchased at Radio Shack. This was prettty easy and was reccomended by the guy I bought them from who seemed pretty knowledgable on this type of stuff. Simply un-bolt the amp, then cut the tape around the bulk of wires. Of course, I taped everything back, so it doesn't look like mess.
I just did the same thing. A10 (wht/blu) for constant power. I got by without undoing any tape, though. There was JUST enough exposed wire already to clip one of those taps on.

I ended up mounting the XM module behind a side panel on the passenger side (under the dash). Behind this panel, you have plenty of room to mount the box. I used double sided adhesive tape to keep the box mounted. There is also a conveinenet bolt that can be used to connect the groud wire to. To run the wires, take off the panel under the glove box, just pull it down, then out. This hides them pretty well when put back into place.
Hmmm.. After just about giving up and going for an under-seat install, I thought I found the perfect place: just above the glove box, velcroed to the bottom of the vent tube. I did a quick test and it looked like there was plenty of room for it there. But then once I got everything all hooked up and fully back together, i realized the glove box scrapes it as you open/close it. Thanks for the suggestion; I'll probably try to move it to your location tomorrow. The power wires will be too short tho so I'll have to extend them. I knew I should have cut them a little longer...

I mounted the display unit in the Not an Ashtray compartment, so I have no idea how you would run the wires to the sun glasses holder.
I went up the passenger pillar. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am doing this install on saturday. I think that I have everything pretty much figured out but I have a couple of questions. Did you guys cut the acc and power wires? If so have you had any problems? the instructions say dont but they are crazy long. Also what do you use to cut a hole for the control unit?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by batman
I am doing this install on saturday. I think that I have everything pretty much figured out but I have a couple of questions. Did you guys cut the acc and power wires? If so have you had any problems? the instructions say dont but they are crazy long. Also what do you use to cut a hole for the control unit?
Yah, I cut the wires shorter. I saw no reason not to, despite their odd warning. I haven't noticed any problems related to that.

My control unit is mounted in the sunglass holder. I just drilled a small hole in the back of the holder's plastic frame just barely big enough for the connector. I used a normal wood drill bit with a sharp pointed tip and just went nice and slow. I think I may have used a dremel tool to make room for the squarish part of the connector to go thru. You can see my hole in one of the pics at http://www.truedesign.org/tsxmod1/ . The hole is very difficult to see once it is all put back together. That was the only hole i had to make for the connector; the path was clear the rest of the way down to the control box.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:27 AM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks.. i looked at the post for that install. it's a little more involved than i want to get this weekend. i am going to put in the lower storage compartment.