Anyone installed a PC to their NAV screen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone installed a PC to their NAV screen?

Good morning everyone,
Should be picking up my NHBP AT NAV this morning (hopefully).

Was wondering...I've seen the threads on modding the NAV with a switch that would allow input from any DVD player, XBOX, etc.

But here's my situation: I'd like to install a small PC so that I could play DVD, MP3s and also a card reader that I could use to play TV programs recorded to a Sony Memory Stick (it used QuickTime to play these files).

Has anyone successfully done this?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2004, 06:06 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is exactly what i want to do, but i've been told the resolution wont be good enough? what I really want to do is replace the factory screen with a nice bigger one and then add new pc and yadayad....
Old 06-16-2004, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

search for drivesoft, they specialize in that
Old 06-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Instructor

I did this on my old civic, resolution wise, you'll have to increase the size of the fonts and run your apps at 640X480 resolution. You'll basically be using the TV-OUT on the computer to send the signal to the navi.

Check out mp3car.com and get help and info there.

Cheers mate
Old 07-06-2004, 10:44 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

getting ready to buy 04 MT TL so I've been researching the whole carputer idea for this car. mp3car.com is a great site for this info. Also, if you want to build your own carputer or just see some cool technology, check out Mini ITXs. On the right side under special projects, click RANDOM to see a random project. There is a pc built in the XP software box, router/modem built in a humidor, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

I want to get the non-navi TL and put a 7" or 8" touchscreen in place of the stock screen, yet still retain the display for the AC/stereo. Will be doing more reasearch on this.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Instructor

I am with you. I will be doing that as well. I used to have a carpc system on my old civic back in da days @ www.carpc.tk. Let me know how your research goes, so far I believe that replacing that HVAC display on the non-navi is going to be a pain bc you have to
1- build a new dash by fiberglass for the new screen
2- find a place to put the oem hvac display. I'd guess down below and lose the 2 compartments.

well I am pondering on which one to go with, and for now I am going to get a lilliput 7" touch and use my PIII 1gig laptop in the trunk with the wires going up front.

I can't wait to get this done and make navi owners drool as for under $2000 i will put every 3 letter acronym feature hehe (mp3, dvd, gps, avi, jpg, on and on and on).

Hit me up sometime ITL and lets throw some ideas around.
BTW I'm moahdib and TLer on mp3car forum.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want VGA then I don't think so with the stock screen. If you plan to use a RCA output then I don't see why not.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:14 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

The screen is the only problem I have right now. I don't want two screens in the console- too cluttered. Here's what I am thinking about:

Aftermarket touchscreen (7 or 8 inch) IN PLACE OF stock HVAC screen....I don't think mounting will be an issue.

I still want to retain the functionality and look of the stock system...I was thinking of having a switch for the screen. One position would allow the stock HVAC to output to the screen (no touch capability) and the other position would allow full touch functionality for a computer. This way, I could still have the 6-disc changer and other controls. I need to find someone knowledgeable enough to tell me if it would be possible to output the stock HVAC lcd characters to an aftermarket screen (what is the input?)

PLANS FOR MY CarPC:
-mp3 jukebox
-USB Hub for expansion
-adapter for PS2 controllers as input devices (for backseat manipulation of system- I already have this, why not use it?)
-Wi-Fi (car in driveway and part of home network!)
-5.1 channel audio (since TL has 5.1 audio system)
-GPS and mapping software

FUTURE PLANS:
-DVD jukebox (ripped on hard drive)
-computer controlled 12V devices (would be cool to have radar detector power from touchscreen)
....more...I get more ideas every day
Old 07-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Drifting

What is the stock screen size? I think that the only two touchscreen lcds with vga are xenarc and lilliput.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ITL
The screen is the only problem I have right now. I don't want two screens in the console- too cluttered. Here's what I am thinking about:

Aftermarket touchscreen (7 or 8 inch) IN PLACE OF stock HVAC screen....I don't think mounting will be an issue.

I still want to retain the functionality and look of the stock system...I was thinking of having a switch for the screen. One position would allow the stock HVAC to output to the screen (no touch capability) and the other position would allow full touch functionality for a computer. This way, I could still have the 6-disc changer and other controls. I need to find someone knowledgeable enough to tell me if it would be possible to output the stock HVAC lcd characters to an aftermarket screen (what is the input?)

PLANS FOR MY CarPC:
-mp3 jukebox
-USB Hub for expansion
-adapter for PS2 controllers as input devices (for backseat manipulation of system- I already have this, why not use it?)
-Wi-Fi (car in driveway and part of home network!)
-5.1 channel audio (since TL has 5.1 audio system)
-GPS and mapping software

FUTURE PLANS:
-DVD jukebox (ripped on hard drive)
-computer controlled 12V devices (would be cool to have radar detector power from touchscreen)
....more...I get more ideas every day
Having a "switch" for output to the screen is nearly impossible, unless you are an electrical engineer and you have the tools. That screen is not just any standard character screen. There is a lot more to it. First things first, i need to take my dash appart to see whats inside. Helminc manual scans anyone? =D
Old 07-14-2004, 08:02 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by Bxscig
What is the stock screen size? I think that the only two touchscreen lcds with vga are xenarc and lilliput.
approximately 8" screen.....those are the only screens I know of, too.

Originally Posted by moahdib
Having a "switch" for output to the screen is nearly impossible, unless you are an electrical engineer and you have the tools. That screen is not just any standard character screen. There is a lot more to it. First things first, i need to take my dash appart to see whats inside. Helminc manual scans anyone? =D
I need to know what it takes to get the HVAC input into the vga touchscreen (aftermarket).
Old 07-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Drifting

www.mp3car.com, they know how to do that very well meaning relocating the HVAC to the PC control
Old 07-15-2004, 09:33 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

yeah, that's the main forum I browse when looking for info on this project; however, I haven't been able to find anything that specifically pertains to what I want to do. (CRY FOR HELP!)