Anyone hear of AudioLink?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone hear of AudioLink?

Just wondering if you guys know anything about AudioLink interfaces. They supposedly allow you to easily add aftermarket amps to your system. Link here.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:52 PM
Intermediate

Audio Link LOC

Hi.
Yes, the Audiolink line output converter is one of the better ones for our cars, and I have one, but can sell it to you if you like as in working on my systme for several months have finally figured out how to by-pass the factory head-unit eq AND in-board amp, so I now have a direct low level signal un-eq'd going firectly into a PG Line Driver. Sound is infinitly better one this direct route.
Would be happy to help, if you like.

2002 TL-S WDP w/Nav
Factory Head,
PG Line Driver
PG ZX600
PG ZX475
PG EQ232
Focale Comp. all around
2 boston Pro 12's
Comptech Springs
Factory body kit w/spoiler
Old 01-12-2002, 11:13 PM
Banned

How much dose something like this go for Brand new and do you think it is worth it?
Old 01-13-2002, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Damnit! I just ordered the pd4 from AudioLink the other day. In what ways did the AudioLink stuff not sound as good (hissing, popping, alternator noise, ect)? I know that several forum members are doing other things to add amps and speakers but this seemed like the easiest way.

What I'm wanting to do is keep the factory HU and replace the front and maybe rear speakers along with a new sub. All of the installers in my area are telling me that the factory HU, speakers and amps all have to go! The stuff from AudioLink was the best I could find.

Sooo, if your getting better sound from your method, please enlighten me as I have no idea what to do here. Like I said, I've seen others try different ways to adding systems to their cars but no ONE method stands out as the best way to do it.

Moderators:
If we can get all of the information together, it would be awesome to get this into the faq so others can refer to it when upgrading their audio systems.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Hi Master G:

Well, here goes. I, like you, wanted to upgrade the system without changing the head unit, factory look etc. The PG gear I have is all high end equipment, and after working in the electronics business for over 12 years, I was very specific in what I wanted, quality wise, rather than having something that just pounded. Anyway, I first installed the system with the Audiolink LOC WITHOUT bypassing the factory eq. It took major adjustment with all 32 bands on the PG eq. and I still couldn't make it right.
I found a post in here on how to manipulate the system wiring to bypass the factory eq and noticed a HUGE change from before. But it still wasn't as good as I was used to. Anyway, I spent some time fiddling with the wiring until I found that I could completely illiminate the factory power built into the HU and go directly to the line driver. I'll get you those wiring colors, if you like. The only issue is the pre-out level on the HU is very low, and I had to boost the line driver to about close to max, but the difference in sound was again HUGE once I removed the LOC.
By bypassing the factory eq, it made a world of difference, then by going direct pre-out it was huge again. Rating them, probably a 100 times difference removing the eq, 80 times removing the LOC.
Only two issues now, one is by doing this you loose the voice on the navi system, which was not an issue for me as I never used that anyway, but I also now have a very VERY slight engine wine. It is not created by the HU, but in the bypassing of the ground sheilding built into the factory eq. I am pretty sure I figured out a fix, just have not done it yet. Hint, it doesn't wine with the deck out of the dash, but does with it in, so it is simply a sheilding issue, but very very faint. Inaudable with the volume at about 20%.
It is worth the extra effort, especially if you like listening to good sounding music, that is clean and full.
Let me know if you would like the wiring details, as it really is quite easy. It is actually easier than connecting the LOC, only 3 wires to worry about, instead of 4!
Let me know.
D
Old 01-15-2002, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

SonyMan:

Yes, please let us know how to make the necessary changes to bypass the factory eq and amps. I'm sure a lot more people than just myself are interested in this. I know it would save me some headaches

While looking at your post again, I realized that perhaps we were not talking about the same item from AudioLink. You mentioned a LOC that you bought from them but I was referring to the interface that they also sell. It's called either the pd2(for adding 2 channels) or the pd4(for four channels) and they connect to our factory HU through a wiring harness. Basicially what it does is allow us to have a pre-amp output so that you can connect aftermarket amplifiers without having to do any cutting or rewireing. It also has a line driver buillt in to adjust the voltage to where an aftermarket amp can operate effectively. So were you talking about a LOC or the item I just described?

If it would help in any way, I should be getting the Helm's manual for the TL sometime this week. If you need any scans from the manual to help illustrate your description, then feel free to ask.