any good audio shops in northern nj ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any good audio shops in northern nj ?

Im compiling some audio equip. to upgrade the speakers in my 01 cl-s. So far I have a audiocontol lc6. My next step is speakers.

Just trying to find a good audio shop in the northern jersey area ?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Most of them are so overpriced that it's laughable (it's one thing to sell at MSRP instead of 'street prices', but when you are a lot MORE than MSRP, man, that takes b@lls). Soundwaves in Parsippany (on 46 across from Toys R Us) seems to be pretty decent, and they appear to know their stuff when you talk to them...but, again, they are pricey.

Every single shop I've gone to in NNJ has tried to talk me into things I didn't want or need, pretty poorly I might add. The really annoying thing is when they don't catch onto the fact that you know a thing or two and talk to you like you're an idiot, or a typical Civic driving wanna-be racerboy. I could tell you stories...

Anyway, I just gave up. I had tried 7 different shops, and called about 8 others without even bothering to go. This is over the course of a few years. It's tough to find shops because so many go in and out of business so fast so they don't necessarily show up in the yellow pages...and asking on the forums leads to a lot of dead-ends because the only input you get is from people who actually work at the shops or have friends working there (if I read one more idiot post about the wonders of Circuit City, and the 'gr8 d00dz' there, I'll puke).

Sorry...didn't mean to rant, but this has been a sore spot for me over the last 11 years and 5 cars I've had. In NJ, at least, you are just better off doing your stereo stuff yourself using the info from the DIY/FAQ's and forums.

Os.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll second Sound Waves in Morris County, well established shop that's been there for well over a decade. Very professional and they have MECP installers, a nice change from the shops in Hudson County which often seem shady and fly-by-nightish.

Also agree with Os. on the DIY route, but I fully understand that not everyone has the time and resources for this, even tho we all certainly possess the skills and ability.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
just my two cents, but..
Go the those well established shops, since more than likely, a well established shop will carry higher-end gear.
Sample the speakers there. And order them online, since you'll be able to more than likely find them cheaper online. Just spend a few nights reading DIY's
Old 05-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Registered CL-er!

Originally Posted by Osmodious
Most of them are so overpriced that it's laughable (it's one thing to sell at MSRP instead of 'street prices', but when you are a lot MORE than MSRP, man, that takes b@lls). Soundwaves in Parsippany (on 46 across from Toys R Us) seems to be pretty decent, and they appear to know their stuff when you talk to them...but, again, they are pricey.

Every single shop I've gone to in NNJ has tried to talk me into things I didn't want or need, pretty poorly I might add. The really annoying thing is when they don't catch onto the fact that you know a thing or two and talk to you like you're an idiot, or a typical Civic driving wanna-be racerboy. I could tell you stories...

Anyway, I just gave up. I had tried 7 different shops, and called about 8 others without even bothering to go. This is over the course of a few years. It's tough to find shops because so many go in and out of business so fast so they don't necessarily show up in the yellow pages...and asking on the forums leads to a lot of dead-ends because the only input you get is from people who actually work at the shops or have friends working there (if I read one more idiot post about the wonders of Circuit City, and the 'gr8 d00dz' there, I'll puke).

Sorry...didn't mean to rant, but this has been a sore spot for me over the last 11 years and 5 cars I've had. In NJ, at least, you are just better off doing your stereo stuff yourself using the info from the DIY/FAQ's and forums.

Os.
i agree, this will be my first time doing something in my cl and haven't had the guts to turn over my keys and say "install it"

i recently just added a new hu myself. I can't find the time just to run power and audio cables for my amps. I've been quoted anywhere from $75-$150. I can find better uses with that cash! And I would hate to have installed the total opposite of how i orginally wanted and end up changing things around in the end.

Im compiling some audio equip. to upgrade the speakers in my 01 cl-s. So far I have a audiocontol lc6. My next step is speakers.
Hey if you need help we can get together and install both systems if u wish. two minds is better than one
Old 06-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by smooth CL-in
i agree, this will be my first time doing something in my cl and haven't had the guts to turn over my keys and say "install it"

i recently just added a new hu myself. I can't find the time just to run power and audio cables for my amps. I've been quoted anywhere from $75-$150. I can find better uses with that cash! And I would hate to have installed the total opposite of how i orginally wanted and end up changing things around in the end.

Hey if you need help we can get together and install both systems if u wish. two minds is better than one
Sorry I just saw this response.....talk about no time. Us getting together sounds like a good plan. Two minds are better than one
Old 06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Registered CL-er!

Originally Posted by little257622
Sorry I just saw this response.....talk about no time. Us getting together sounds like a good plan. Two minds are better than one
sent pm