Amplifiers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002 | 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Amplifiers?

I'm new to audio in cars and need to some info on some amplifiers. What should i get a 2, 4, or 6 channel? How many do i need? What the heck is "dropping or lowering"? And what is a stack? any help would be great. thnx.
Old 05-06-2002 | 10:28 PM
Advanced

It depends on what you are trying to drive. If you want a single amp to run front and rear speakers and a sub, then get a 5 channel amp. However, I would suggest getting a 4 channel amp for your main speakers and a 1 channel amp for your sub or a 2 channel amp that is brigeable to form 1 channel for your sub.

Give us some more info on what speakers and sub(s) you are trying to drive and we can give you better feedback.

I am not familiar with the terms dropping or lowering unless it is in terms of voltage or ohms. Can you give us some more context?

Stacking may be the use of multiple sub amps together to get more power into a single sub. For instance, I know of a 1000 watt amp that can be combined with an identical 1000 watt amp to push 2000 watts to a sub.

Hope that helps.

David
Old 05-07-2002 | 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Anybody know any good amps? And where should i put them? I've seen them in the trunk, under seats and on the roof of some, where should i put them? I was looking at some Alpine or Sony Xplod. With either a Kenwood DVD is dash Player or Alpine reciever. Let me know if you have any good ideas.
Old 05-07-2002 | 05:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have phoenix gold subs and amps and i love them ... alpine amps are pretty good i dont really like the sony stuff but its up too you as far as install, what do you have the money for you can get them in the trunk lid ( open the trunk and there right there) in your spare tire well ( hidden or exposed), mounted on the sides with trim panels, ithe possibilities are endless i saw some guy put amps in the backs of seats ( that was reall hot)
Old 05-07-2002 | 10:18 PM
Advanced

I am putting my Linear Power amps across the front of the trunk (right behind back seat) in a vertical amp rack. Somewhere in the trunk is probably the only place to put amps in our cars. Not enough room under the seats.

As far as amps, for fairly inexpensive amps I would look at JL Audio amps, JBL amps, Rockford, or Alpine amps. I would stay FAR away from anything Sony unless it is one of their higher end head units. For more expensive amps, there are really alot of names to look for. Linear Power makes some high-powered tanks they call amps. Phoenix Gold, Precision Power, Soundstream, Zapco, Arc Audio, etc. are also some real solid amps. There are alot of other good amps that I am not listing.

David
Old 05-10-2002 | 01:32 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 962.5TL
i have phoenix gold subs and amps and i love them ... alpine amps are pretty good i dont really like the sony stuff but its up too you as far as install, what do you have the money for you can get them in the trunk lid ( open the trunk and there right there) in your spare tire well ( hidden or exposed), mounted on the sides with trim panels, ithe possibilities are endless i saw some guy put amps in the backs of seats ( that was reall hot)
Got any pics of your setup? This is what I'm looking to get, here's the thread link: tl-kode16's ICE