Aftermarket navi nerds! Pioneer AVIC N1, NAV-SYS620, or Alpine NAV-200?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket navi nerds! Pioneer AVIC N1, NAV-SYS620, or Alpine NAV-200?

Long time GPS user here, for driving, hiking, etc. I love the stuff, so I want one for my nice new car.

Right now I'm researching the available installed GPS navigation systems that are available. I'm leaning toward the AVIC N1 because it seems to be the most evolved and I know a local dealer that will install it for me for free, and only charge me $1700 for the unit itself.

However, before I commit, I'm curious if any of you guys have used any of the following. These are the three I have in mind (click for some linkage action):If you've used one of these, what has your experience been? If you haven't, but have any idea of which one you would get if you were me, which is it and why? I know Alpine makes the OE navi unit, but I'm not sure how the NAV-200 is similar or different. Obviously, I'm trying to figure out which one is the overall best performing, etc. Also, if there's another in-dash navi system out there that I'm not aware of, which is it?

I do have some additional questions about the AVIC N1, like what bay it goes into the dash, how it drives the stock speakers in comparison to the OE amp, and some other things, but I'll save those for later. Right now I'd just like to see what equipment people are using and how they like it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:38 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You will find a few AVIC owners and some threads with photos and comments... you might want to read through those.

You've missed many in-dash Nav systems...Eclipse, I believe Kenwood's indash does nav, and others.

Are you planning on using it as a HU or as an add-on? The Alpine could be done in a fascinating fashion as an add-on... but is not a HU. Alpine, of course, has many in-dash monitors that fold up like the N1 that will do navi. This is a well-=populated area and you will find much to choose from.

The AVIC-N2 was announced as SEMA and will have XM traffic updates like the RL does... so you might want to wait. I think I know why the dealer is getting rid of an N1...
Old 12-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by elduderino
Are you planning on using it as a HU or as an add-on?
That really depends on what system is going to be best for me, if it can function as a HU or not, and if it will be better than the OE amp with the stock speakers.

If I could stick the Alpine down in the upper accessory bay with a folding screen and tuck the DVD drive away somewhere, that would probably be what I'd choose to do. If I'm picturing what you're describing correctly, it sounds really cool. Anyway, if I get a navi-only unit, getting an XM receiver and possibly MP3 player installed elsewhere isn't a concern of mine since quality navigation is my primary goal.

It doesn't surprise me that I've missed a bunch of options. I'll go poke around the wide wide internet and see if anything strikes me.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:03 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally like the idea of the Alpine as an AUX accessory to the factory HU. I personally wouldnt want to drive around with my factory HU off and useless.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:34 AM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by TSXsurf
I personally like the idea of the Alpine as an AUX accessory to the factory HU. I personally wouldnt want to drive around with my factory HU off and useless.
Yeah, ideally, that's what I'd to so as to leave the match between speakers and amp intact. It sounds great to me.

I like the looks of the Kenwood Excelon P-NAV815 a lot, and if I could get that mounted down below with the DVD drive stashed under a seat or in the trunk or something, that would be perfect. I'd be able to keep the 6 disk changer, plus have a MP3/WMA drive that I wouldn't have to share with a DVD-ROM full of maps like the AVIC N1 uses.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:03 AM
6MT Snob

Im not trying to be an ass, just curious if you wanted nav, why didnt you buy a car with nav?

Anyway I am very happy with my Garmin Ique 3600, now that I have the windshield suction mount i have it right under my radar detector and i can always check the map without having to take my eyes off the road (try that with a stock in the dash )

Just a thought, you can pick one up used on ebay for like 400..
Old 12-21-2004, 01:49 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rmpage
Yeah, ideally, that's what I'd to so as to leave the match between speakers and amp intact. It sounds great to me.

I like the looks of the Kenwood Excelon P-NAV815 a lot, and if I could get that mounted down below with the DVD drive stashed under a seat or in the trunk or something, that would be perfect. I'd be able to keep the 6 disk changer, plus have a MP3/WMA drive that I wouldn't have to share with a DVD-ROM full of maps like the AVIC N1 uses.
I have the Pioneer N1 and I like it a lot. I have mine hooked up through the Aux input of the factory deck via the SNHOND3 adapter.
If I were you I would just install the deck in the storage bin using the Acura mp3 attachment kit.
I would then hook the new deck up to factory amp. There was another user who had the N1 and hooked it up to the factory deck. I think his name was Nguyenpzy. He said the sound was much better with the N1 hooked to the factory amp vs. the factory 6 disc.
Then, since you mentioned you didn't want the CD changer to go unused I would hook the factory 6 disc changer into the Aux input of the new deck. This wire will cost you about $40-$50 bucks depending on the deck. You'll be saving a little money though since the SNHOND3 adapter costs about $105 and you won't need it.

I haven't heard much info about that kenwood deck you mentioned but I bet it's pretty good. The fact that it has external DVD rom for the Navi is big plus if you plan to use Navi alot. I got my deck more for the entertainment since I commute so I actually don't use quite as often as you probably will. Also look into some of the other decks. Therez a lot of choices out there nowadays.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:12 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I would be hesitant to connect an aftermarket deck to the OE amp... since the OE amp has no gain adjustments and no RCA connectors for GLI filters, it might be tricky from a noise standpoint (as compared to adding an aftermarket amp to an OE HU).
Old 12-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Thatz a good point...Eld. The noise issue will be tricky, but I think if you can get the install done and not have noise, then it would be worth it. I think it would definitely sound better.

Maybe we can ask NguyenPzy if he had any noise issues. I know he didn't mention any problems after the install, but who knows.

I'm thinking about doing this to my own car after we finish up our development season here at work. So do you really think it's a bad idea Eld? You don't think it's do-able?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:10 PM
I NEED MONEY!

I'm Happy w/ my Avic N1...Pics in my Signature!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Drives With Hands

Originally Posted by gfxdave99
Im not trying to be an ass, just curious if you wanted nav, why didnt you buy a car with nav?
Good question. Actually it was because they didn't have any on the lot in a color I liked with the 5AT. They knocked a bunch off the price since it was on the lot....plus I read that some people don't like the OE navi because it makes the climate controls hard to use. Also, I like the looks of the aftermarket units a bit more anyway.

Originally Posted by Tsx536
I have the Pioneer N1 and I like it a lot. I have mine hooked up through the Aux input of the factory deck via the SNHOND3 adapter.
If I were you I would just install the deck in the storage bin using the Acura mp3 attachment kit.
That's what I'd like to do with whatever I end up getting because the placement seems like it would work and look awesome.

I guess I'm a little confused about signal flow in the factory sound system. There's the OE head in the dash with the CD changer and radio tuner, but then there's a factory amp deeper inside the dash or somewhere else? I kinda figured they were all one system. My concern was that if I removed or bypassed the CD changer/reciver I'd also be bypassing the amp and risk a poor match with the factory speakers. So if I'm reading you right, and the CD/radio and amp are two different modules, then that gives me more options.

I know this is probably total newb stuff but I haven't been able to find much info about it online and I'm trying to get a better idea of what my options are before I make any plans.
Originally Posted by VeeralS05
I'm Happy w/ my Avic N1...Pics in my Signature!
Looks nice, thanks for the link.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:09 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

What up man....

Yes there are two seperate pieces. The HU unit w/ the built in 6 disc & a factory amp. If you need more info about the system, just ask here. Therez lots of people here that know.

Read the stickies on the top of the audio/video section. Here's a good one:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16927