Aftermarket MP3 din unit...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003 | 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Aftermarket MP3 din unit...

If I were to install an aftermarket MP3 unit din size into the pocket area under the factory stereo with a Navi. Would I...

1. Be able to get the ID3 tags to show up on the Nav screen if the aftermarket MP3 player supports it? Or does it not matter since the Navi is not going to support it?

2. Will I be able to keep the current sliding door bin over the MP3 player, maybe by cutting the back of the bin?

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2003 | 10:41 PM
Don't listen to me.

Re: Aftermarket MP3 din unit...

Originally posted by vinsanity
If I were to install an aftermarket MP3 unit din size into the pocket area under the factory stereo with a Navi. Would I...

1. Be able to get the ID3 tags to show up on the Nav screen if the aftermarket MP3 player supports it? Or does it not matter since the Navi is not going to support it?

2. Will I be able to keep the current sliding door bin over the MP3 player, maybe by cutting the back of the bin?

Thanks.
1. If the Acura oem MP3 player doesn't show ID3 tags I doubt that an aftermarket one would.

2. The bin is too narow to put in a din size unit without cutting. You would have to cut of the opening/closing gear. I don't think it will work.
Old 11-05-2003 | 09:33 AM
Still here

You will get nothing on the navi display, the AUX in gives you a screen that looks like it is for a cd-changer, none of the buttons do anything. If you do the navi-dvd conversion, you can display anything on the screen you want. I just got a din sized DVD/MP3 player for my TSX, so i get to see the info through the video converter.

You could mount a din unit in the pocket, but it would have to be off centered to the right because of the door grears. And with as much plastic that would have to remove, it might not be that sturdy. Look into getting the OEM din mount that is used to install the MP3/Tape unit. I got one to try and its actually much better than i thought it would be....
Old 11-05-2003 | 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by e_lectro
You will get nothing on the navi display, the AUX in gives you a screen that looks like it is for a cd-changer, none of the buttons do anything. If you do the navi-dvd conversion, you can display anything on the screen you want. I just got a din sized DVD/MP3 player for my TSX, so i get to see the info through the video converter.

You could mount a din unit in the pocket, but it would have to be off centered to the right because of the door grears. And with as much plastic that would have to remove, it might not be that sturdy. Look into getting the OEM din mount that is used to install the MP3/Tape unit. I got one to try and its actually much better than i thought it would be....
Hey e_lectro, thanks for the feedback. Hey could you post any pictures so I can see how it fits? Which DVD/MP3 player did you get? And after you installed it in the pocket with the OEM din mount kit, were you still able to close the pocket door? I'm also looking to do a navi-dvd conversion, I have a tv tuner lying around from Pioneer. Do you think you can help me with install? I'm an experienced car audio/video installer but I have never worked around a Navi system before. So this would be my first install in a Navi-based system. Thanks e_lectro!
Old 11-05-2003 | 03:15 PM
Still here

vinsanity -

I got a PYLE, dvd player, I can't remember the model number right now... but I think it is the only DIN sized unit they have. The OEM DIN kit does not have a door, only an oversized opening for the player. As far as fitment goes, the player fit perfectly with the metal mounting points, but not with the bezel opening. The opening was made for the OEM mp3/tape player, which has a wider face plate. But this can be solved with some plexi or ABS plastic. I dont have any pics yet, I just sat the unit in place last night. (I had it mounted vertically in the arm rest storage box, but the unit did not like the vertical mount after a while...) I'll try to get some pics this week.

What pioneer video unit do you have? I have not messed with one before, but I know some people that have. I used the converter I posted along time ago from convertes.tv (writeup still in the works) The first unit I got had problems... and now all the problems I have are my own fault

e_lectro
Old 11-05-2003 | 03:28 PM
Intermediate

Oh I think I've seen that PYLE dvd player before, I was thinking about getting that one as well. I have the Pioneer tv tuner GEX-p7000TV that I took out of my last car. I've seen some people use it in their 350ZX and some in the Acura TL so it seems like it would work.

Another question(s): Because you have the navi-dvd conversion, that is why you can get the MP3 player to show up on the screen right? Hows the user interface of the MP3? Are there some cool graphics that display when the MP3s are playing? Do you lose the controls on the steering wheel for this function? And last question, do you lose the stereo controls for the MP3 player? Like the forward track, back, volume, stop, etc....

Sorry for the abundance of questions, but I'm really interested in putting the MP3 player in. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-10-2003 | 10:43 AM
Intermediate

whats up electro, did you read my last post? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2003 | 11:45 AM
Still here

Sorry about the delay vis, I was out of town all weekend

Because you have the navi-dvd conversion, that is why you can get the MP3 player to show up on the screen right?
yep, there is no other way

Hows the user interface of the MP3? Are there some cool graphics that display when the MP3s are playing?
the interface is ok, nothing to write home to mom about. There is no viuals when the music plays, just a file and folder listing. The most advanced graphics it does is bounce around the pyle logo... rather lame, but its cheap

Do you lose the controls on the steering wheel for this function? And last question, do you lose the stereo controls for the MP3 player? Like the forward track, back, volume, stop, etc....
none of the stock controls work except for volume, there is no way to interface them. the stock radio thinks it is connected to a cd-changer for the audio. you need to change the tracks and etc by the front of the mp3 player or via the remote control that comes with the pyle unit.

I still have not taken any pictures, I hope to this week sometime, been too busy with other projects to mess with it much.

Let me know if you have any other questions
Old 11-10-2003 | 05:44 PM
Intermediate

thanks bro. yea just let me know when you get some pictures up, i would love to see the setup. oh yea and i heard there is some adapter coming out that will allow the integrated buttons to work. im not sure if thats just a rumor or not, it was said to be coming out late this year so next month?

i think this is the post...

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthrea...9460#post69460
Old 11-10-2003 | 06:18 PM
Still here

this will only work with an iPod
but dont forget that, it wont work with everything...