Aftermarket Head Unit

Old 10-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket Head Unit

ive searched through the audio forums, so hopefully this isnt a repost or something that i may have missed.
My question is this: what are the pros and cons of adding an aftermarket head unit?

For starters, I have a non-navi. Ive just been thinking about it, and to my knowledge, the only reasons i havent gotten rid of OEM HU is for the steering wheel controls, 6cd indash changer, and the a/c. The HU is obviously too much of a pain the ass to take out, so why not just add a new head unit? Currently im using the SNHOND3 to listen to my iPod, and all i listen to is my iPod; no cds, no radio, nothing. That takes care of the 6cd changer, and soon im gonna get the icelink so that i can use the steering wheel controls. The only problem with this is, will i be able to plug the icelink into an aftermarket head unit? if not this would mean that i lose steering wheel controls. Id like to have put one in the compartment above the 'not an ashtray' one and have it still be able to close, completely concealing it.
Comments? Suggestions? Recommendations? Do Tell Please...

also, what are some decent head units with aux imports? i havent really looked into it. what are some things i wanna look for?
Old 10-27-2004, 07:42 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
PAC has steering wheel control adapters for various vehicles and head units. Don't need the icelink for that. Not sure how to integrate the two. I THINK that you could connect them both...

You meant AUX inputs; ) I beleive that many HU's allow AUX inputs on their propietary bus ports with an optional adapter. Alpine is one such HU. Need an Ai-NET adapter. I think Kenwood is the same deal.

Best option in my mind is to get an Alpine with XM Radio onboard and the optional iPod adapter, and then get the PAC steering whel adapter, and get everything.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Future Seminole

arite, that doesnt sound too bad. also, how much will a new HU add to the system?
Old 10-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay..dude..Here goes..Haha..

First of all, I say go for it!

You'll get much better sound I believe. Did you plan on getting aftermarket amps or just rewiring the output of the headunit into the factory AMP?

Now first let's discuss the aftermarket deck. Go with the new alpine decks with the Ai-Net interface. These decks are what you want if you are looking for something that interfaces with your IPOD.

Check out this interface for the Alpine to Ipod conversions:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pksUzBM...ch=alpine+ipod

I've seen a review and I heard it works great! You can control everything about your ipod with this including browsing folders, playing back playlists, and much more. It has a lot more functionality then the icelink interface will give you.

This is also dependent on which alpine deck you get though. I read a review about how it interfaced with one of the decks with the flip out screen. I'm not sure how well it works with the decks with the standard character based screens. Check out this link. It is a must read!
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/I-...pine_ipod.html

Also, you could look into hooking up the factory changer as an input into the new Alpine deck. I'm not sure if you can run the Ipod interface along with the hooking up an extra AUX input, but you should research it.

Now for the mounting location. I would put it where the OEM mp3 player goes. For around $70-$100 depending on where you go, you can get the OEM Mp3 attachment kit. It's Honda part number P/N 08B06-SEC-210. For the best deal, go on Ebay and look for the seller who sells the acura mp3 player. Ask him if you can buy the kit seperately. I've asked him before and he told me $72 plus shipping.

Another option if you want to keep everything stealth is to keep the door on your storage bin and get a custom install that allows the door to close still. That would cost more, but be much better and safe for your stereo IMO.

Last, but not least the steering wheel controls. I believe there is an aftermarket adapter you can buy that will allow you to interface with the steering wheel controls. I think Elduderino posted this before so you should ask him about it. Keep in mind though, I have not heard of anyone yet that has used this in thier TSX, so who knows how well it works and also what is involved in the installation.

Hope that helps...Good Luck man!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:53 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Darn...Eld beat me too it..!! Haha...
Old 10-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Future Seminole

awesome, thats great information Tsx536! ill def look into the alpine info you gave me here. and im currently waiting to recieve 2 8" subs and a 5 channel MTX amp. right now i have alpine type r components as well. and i def. want to see if i can get it behind the door for 100% stealth.... time to do my homework.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:05 PM
VP Electricity

You can get it done... you might end up going into the city, tho...

I think at present there is only ONE Alpine unit with XM built-in...

Be aware the line gets upgraed at CES in Jan... and sale prices might ensue... new units ship in Feb to April, depending...
Old 10-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Future Seminole

i thought you had to suscribe to XM, no? and its not something i really want anyways. im not really looking to spend a lot of money, but that doesnt mean im gonna get half ass stuff. i think im gonna cap my spending at $500 if i do do this. that would be for the head unit, iPod connection, and PAC steering wheel thing, does this sound reasonable?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by acuratsx03
i thought you had to suscribe to XM, no? and its not something i really want anyways. im not really looking to spend a lot of money, but that doesnt mean im gonna get half ass stuff. i think im gonna cap my spending at $500 if i do do this. that would be for the head unit, iPod connection, and PAC steering wheel thing, does this sound reasonable?
That might be cutting it close. Depends on a couple of things:
1) Can you install yourself?
2) Which alpine unit do you want?

As for the XM, you do have to pay $10. Sounds like you're happy with the sound on your Ipod, so you might not need it. I've never had it myself though, so it might be worth it...I'm not sure

Great...works over..time to clock out! Me and TSX are outta here !!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:18 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Check out this alpine deck. You save $30 on the Ipod adapter if you buy this one from crutchfield. Crutchfield can be expensive sometimes though, so you should also shop around.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6ZMNK8y...p?I=500CDA9827
Old 10-27-2004, 08:22 PM
VP Electricity

To buy a radio without XM ability seems silly nowadays, but OK... any Ai-NET changer radio will work with the Alpine iPod adapter.

$100 for the adapter.

$350 with XM, $200 for the 9825 with 4V and multiple preamp outs (what you want).

~$80 for the PAC adapter. Should leave enough for RCA's and install...
Old 10-27-2004, 08:26 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
hate to put a damper on this topic but, would you really be happy with having the stock head unit sitting there basically useless.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Future Seminole

well, i havent really decided on a unit yet. but ive been looking at the 9830, which retails at 329.99, the 9827 - 259.99... theyre pretty pricey, but ill have to think about it. the install, i think i may be able to do it myself. the onyl thing that i could see difficulty with is actually mounting the unit.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Future Seminole

ive thought about it, and i dont really think it would bother me that much. the fact that i know im getting more power would probably help to ease my mind. and i like gadgets, so the bling factor of a hidden HU would also help to ease my mind

of course i could ebay the HU and use the saved $$ on install, because i just forgot about the steering wheel controls and i have no idea what would be involved with the
Old 10-27-2004, 08:55 PM
2004 TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elduderino
I think at present there is only ONE Alpine unit with XM built-in...
Me too, but you have look at the specs, i think it is stripped except for a cd player with XM (built-in)...not like the other ones that are XM ready, plus do mp3, plus ipod ready, etc etc...

ipod interface is KCA-420i
Xm built in player is CDA-9820XM (it does say cd changer control, and ipod-ready, no mp3)

where as i think a CDA-9826 is a better deal if you want to play MP3 from disks..
Old 10-27-2004, 09:28 PM
I spend 2 much time here

ive thought about it, and i dont really think it would bother me that much. the fact that i know im getting more power would probably help to ease my mind. and i like gadgets, so the bling factor of a hidden HU would also help to ease my mind

of course i could ebay the HU and use the saved $$ on install, because i just forgot about the steering wheel controls and i have no idea what would be involved with the

you need more power? did you ever install the line drivers like i said? I hate to sound like a broken record but since line drivers were added to my system my gains are turned way down and my stereo will melt you ears with only MB quarts up front, stock rear door speakers, no 6X9s and the two 12s in the back.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:45 PM
Future Seminole

line drivers where? on the tweets? confused.. right now im only running F components and stock rear doors. 6x9s are out of my car and for sale, as well as my amp. i just sent my sub away, so i got nothing really. i should be getting my subs and amp hopefully by next week. im getting some of bassmechanics 8" subs in one of his PowerMouse boxes, cant wait to put em in.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Future Seminole

Originally Posted by musicbox

where as i think a CDA-9826 is a better deal if you want to play MP3 from disks..

this unit has 1 pre-out, is this enough for the 5 channel amp im gonna run? i really like this unit, and so far the price is right, off alpines site its only $230.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:51 PM
I spend 2 much time here

correct me if i am wrong elduderino but don't the line drivers go between the connect from the headunit to the amps? i personally have no idea how to install them, all i know is that they made a huge difference in my system.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Future Seminole

hahah, werd.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:23 PM
VP Electricity

line drivers go between HU and amp...and that helped jigga's tweets.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Future Seminole

alright, ill be sure to put in line drivers. before i start confusing myself with installation questions, i think ive come to a decision (not based on current funds yet). I think i like the CDA-9827 deck, which on ebay i can get from 185 - 210 + shipping and handling, which is good. then ill get the iPod connection deal for $100, and the the PAC steering wheel adapter (which is infared or something? ill have to look up on that). so that should bring my total anywhere from 365 - 390 + ~$20 for S&H on the HU, so around $385 - $410. How much would you guess an install like this may cost? How simple do you think this can be for someone with beginner skills?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:39 PM
I spend 2 much time here

well if you are going to use an aftermarket amp you wont need the line drivers
Old 10-27-2004, 10:44 PM
VP Electricity

If it's a 4V deck the line drivers are probably not needed...
Old 10-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Future Seminole

good, one less expense, lol. how much of a difference can be expected by putting in a new head unit? i hear it does wonders, i sure hope it does.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:23 AM
2004 TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this unit has 1 pre-out, is this enough for the 5 channel amp im gonna run? i really like this unit, and so far the price is right, off alpines site its only $230.
My mistake, you're right, the CDA-9827 is probably the better deal...
Old 10-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Future Seminole

Update!!!

well, i just purchased the Alpine CDA-9827 off of ebay for 179.95 + 22.00 S&H (201.95) off of Ebay, and the PAC SWI-X steering wheel control thing for 57.99 off of www.x10.com. great deals online!!! cant wait to recieve the items in the mail, and hopefully ill be able to have it installed by the end of next week. now i have to see where i can get the Ai-NET unit for my iPod integration...

PS, soon ill be selling my SNHOND3, anyone interested can shoot me a PM and i can reserve it for you.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

well, i just purchased the Alpine CDA-9827 off of ebay for 179.95 + 22.00 S&H (201.95) off of Ebay, and the PAC SWI-X steering wheel control thing for 57.99 off of www.x10.com. great deals online!!! cant wait to recieve the items in the mail, and hopefully ill be able to have it installed by the end of next week. now i have to see where i can get the Ai-NET unit for my iPod integration...

PS, soon ill be selling my SNHOND3, anyone interested can shoot me a PM and i can reserve it for you.
Nice man..!! Can't wait to see how everything works out for you.

The steering wheel control is of very special interest to me. I also have an aftermarket head unit (Hooked up via the SNHOND3) and I want to be able to control it from the steering wheel controls. Let me know how the install goes on it.

Post the SNHOND3 in the black market section. I saw one go for $73 shipped a couple of weeks ago. You should be able to get that easily or maybe even a little more.

I'll let you know if I happen to see a deal on the Ai-Net Ipod adapter!

It's here for $83 + 16 shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...728215080&rd=1

You might be able to find it a little cheaper. I'm not sure. It might be kinda hard because it's so new.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

and the PAC SWI-X steering wheel control thing for 57.99 off of www.x10.com.
I couldn't find it on there. Can ou send a direct link?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Future Seminole

okay, im not gonna lie, that site [layout] really sux. i tried going through it from the link i posted, and no luck finding it at all. but i googled it and i got it PAC SWI-X FREE SHIPPING too, that made me pretty happy.

the only thing that kinda bums me out is the iPod interface im going to have to be sacrificing. itll be like using an mp3 cd player with a cd that has playlists and such, pain in the ass IMHO. but ill get used to it, i know it. anyways, ill let you know how everything goes.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

the only thing that kinda bums me out is the iPod interface im going to have to be sacrificing. itll be like using an mp3 cd player with a cd that has playlists and such, pain in the ass IMHO. but ill get used to it, i know it. anyways, ill let you know how everything goes.
I wouldn't worry about that man. Set up your playlists using Itunes on the computer.

One nice thing about the Ipod->Alpine interface is the quick search feature. Check out this link:
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...od.html?page=4

You should definitely read that whole article it specifically discusses how the Alpine decks interface with the IPOD. They praise the quick search feature, so hopefully it works as well as advertised.

Also, this is the most developed interface available thust far. I heard the icelink which cost about $200 or more with the SNHOND3 will not even let you display folder and track information, on the deck. So you really have no idea what the next folder or track is. Lots of icelink users seem to leave their Ipod on shuffle. I think that's cool, but sometimes I only like to play some of the most recent music I downloaded. I don't think the icelink has playlist support either, so what your getting ain't so bad.

One of the advantages of the icelink is you get to still use your steering wheel controls without any other special adapters. Other than that I think you're getting the best available interface available right now, later better ones will become available, but that will take some time. I just hope Pioneer jumps on the bandwagon and begins developing an Ipod adapter that will plug into their IP-Bus inputs (Their version of the AI-Net interface). If they give me an Ipod interface that I can control on my flip out screen I will be juiced!!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:27 PM
VP Electricity

I suspect that Alpine made the BMW interface, and was leveraging their work for BMW. According to Alpine insiders, that project took way too long and was a cluster... so other companies may or may not pursue right away (I know Kenwood was thinking about it... but I wonder about the smaller firms.)
Old 10-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Future Seminole

yeah. its just gonna take some getting used to. right now using the SNHOND3 i use my iPod to navigate through my songs which is amazing. and i can pass it around to passengers to choose music. now thats gonna be limited, but itll be worth it for the power the head unit will give me and all the other things it can do.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

yeah. its just gonna take some getting used to. right now using the SNHOND3 i use my iPod to navigate through my songs which is amazing. and i can pass it around to passengers to choose music. now thats gonna be limited, but itll be worth it for the power the head unit will give me and all the other things it can do.
Yeah...I'm sure it will. That is a good point about the passengers not being to pick songs now...Using this interface might be safer for you. Did you find it hard to navigate and drive at the same time?

The unit should give your much better sound than just hooking up the Ipod through the SNHOND3. Without a Line Driver like Jiggaman uses than the sound on the SNHOND3 is actually pretty damn weak! Plus the Alpine deck supposedly has some sound EQ technology that can help make mp3s sound better. Since they are compressed files, then they usually don't sound as good as a standard CD.

Now that I think about it. If you like the current navigation then you don't need to get that Ipod interface for the alpine deck. Just get the adapter that converts, the Ai-Net into a standard AUX input with RCA IN. This would be much cheaper for you I bet, and you would retain the same interface. The only thing you would really be doing is upgraded headunits from the stock to the new Alpine.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Future Seminole

hmmm... this option sounds quite nice. so then i wouldnt have to drop $100 on the Ai-Net and i love the sound of that. i just started going over all my expenses and its a lot, but i must say i saved a lot of money in the process buying mostly everything off of ebay. ill have to look into the adapter you speak of though, cause i really love the iPod interface, and ive used mp3 cd players to look through folders and it just cannot compare. ive found that looking through my iPod while driving isnt the easiest thing, but its soo much better with passengers in the car looking for the songs. now that all my friends learned to use the iPod it would be better and cheaper to keep it on the iPod instead of training them to use the new HU. anyone have any idea what the adapter is called and where i could pick one up?? good thing i didnt make the plunge into the KCA-420i yet.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:28 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Cool man....Yeah go that route...Sounds like you're already a happy with the interface, so why change.

I did a seach on ebay on "alpine aux" and I found this item.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Brand new and $30 bucks total with shipping included. There are other sellers do who are a few dollars more, if this auction ends before you get to it just do the same seach as I did.
Verify that this is the correct interface, but I believe it is because multiple sellers on ebay are selling it and advertising it as a a AI-Net to Aux IN interface.

Now...you gotta figure out the install...!

EDIT:

I found it here on Crutchfield...only $14.99 plus shipping

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PqZPoow...p?i=500KCA121B
Old 10-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Future Seminole

damn bro, you rock!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Future Seminole

just bought it! now all my components are purchased!!!! so excited, and now i have to patiently wait for arrival and then install
Old 10-29-2004, 07:44 PM
VP Electricity

Glad you bought what I mentioned originally : )
Old 10-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Future Seminole

elduderino, always leading the way

also, quick question. now that im not going the root of the alpine kca-420i unit, will the steering wheel controls work to change tracks and stuff through the AUX control off the head unit? not sure if that made much sense... but will i be able to use the iPod to search through songs, as well as the steering wheel controls to change tracks??? and now that i think of it, im gonna have to get a belkin car charger too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Head Unit