TL: Advice On SUBWOOFER Enclosure!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010 | 11:59 PM
Intermediate

Advice On SUBWOOFER Enclosure!

Hey guyz I'm looking to replace my stock subs with a new 12' Sub I just purchased to go with my new HU since the stock sub doesn't work directly with the HU unless 'Hacked' which I don't feel like doing .. However, I don't know the right Enclosure to get for it.
Specs I'm working with: I have the AVIC-X910BT HU coupled with 1200W Class-D Mono Amp by pioneer to power the Sub. And the Sub is the 3500W 12" 4 ohms Pioneer TS-W3002D4 woofer. I know this is a big Sub and that's why I want to make sure I get the appropriate enclosure to accommodate the power. So guys pls help me out with any suggestions addressing:
1. MDF size
2. Ported or vented or completely sealed
3. Shape or size or construction.
4. Not looking to spend more than a $100.

Thank you!
Old 03-17-2010 | 12:27 AM
Racer

Nice setup! 35hz if you like low base. Too much for me but every1 has their own preference .
Old 03-17-2010 | 12:36 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dykyy
Nice setup! 35hz if you like low base. Too much for me but every1 has their own preference .

I listen to mostly Hip-Hop so I prefer a lil' above moderate bass.
Old 03-17-2010 | 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

35 hz for low bass?? What if you want the low lows you go for 30 hz. Ported is for louder bass, sealed is for tighter cleaner bass. If you want the loudness go for ported. Just dont buy a prefab box. Have one built you may pay a little over $100 but it's will be worth it trust me. If you were in nc i'd build you one. I suggest getting on some car audio forums and asking for local builders. That's not that big of a sub but should sound nice.
Old 03-17-2010 | 08:32 AM
Drifting

Like Brian (On1wheel) said, get the enclosure done right. If that means you building it, awesome. But if you don't have the skills, get it built by a pro. OP, to answer your questions:

1. 3/4 minimum
2. Depends on how much of your trunk you're willing to give up.
3. Square/rectangle is the simplest and also provides good sound.
4. Definitely possible, although easy to spend over that much if you're going overkill on your box. My first 3 boxes (all MDF) I built for under $50, while the last 2 have been $80 and $200 respectively. The last 2 boxes have been made of birch plywood, which is lighter and stronger than MDF. There are other benefits that I've discussed in other threads, but those are the main 2.

OP, if you give us dimensions of your trunk, I could run some numbers for you.

Or, if you're willing to pay shipping, I could send you either of my single 12" sub boxes that I built awhile back. They're just taking up space in my garage, and I'm tired of it.

dykky, 35hz tuning for low bass can only be achieved with a handful of subs, and not the 1 OP has. AudioQue's and Digital Designs are 2 brands that come to mind...
Old 03-17-2010 | 08:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

32 hz ftw
Old 03-17-2010 | 10:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by on1wheel01
bandpass ftw
Yeah, you know, you're right... Unfortunately, they're big... But I love mine, just wish I had some more room to get the tuning lower...
Old 03-17-2010 | 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Lol your about retarded. Yea but i imagine he doesnt wanna give up his trunk or pay a ton for a box
Old 03-17-2010 | 11:01 AM
Drifting

Lol your about retarded. Yea but i imagine he doesnt wanna give up his trunk or pay a ton for a box
Thanks buddy. But yeah, bandpasses are big, that's the problem with them. They can also sound terrible if you screw up the design.

OP, a simple slot port would work well for you. Like I said, I've got 2 boxes chilling in my garage, either one of them would work well.
Old 03-17-2010 | 05:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mattastick
Like Brian (On1wheel) said, get the enclosure done right. If that means you building it, awesome. But if you don't have the skills, get it built by a pro. OP, to answer your questions:

1. 3/4 minimum
2. Depends on how much of your trunk you're willing to give up.
3. Square/rectangle is the simplest and also provides good sound.
4. Definitely possible, although easy to spend over that much if you're going overkill on your box. My first 3 boxes (all MDF) I built for under $50, while the last 2 have been $80 and $200 respectively. The last 2 boxes have been made of birch plywood, which is lighter and stronger than MDF. There are other benefits that I've discussed in other threads, but those are the main 2.

OP, if you give us dimensions of your trunk, I could run some numbers for you.

Or, if you're willing to pay shipping, I could send you either of my single 12" sub boxes that I built awhile back. They're just taking up space in my garage, and I'm tired of it.

dykky, 35hz tuning for low bass can only be achieved with a handful of subs, and not the 1 OP has. AudioQue's and Digital Designs are 2 brands that come to mind...

Thanks for your feedback 'Mattastick'. And yeah i sure don't mind paying for shipping as long as the box is in a good shape and would be appropriate for my woofer as described above. I'll like to see some pics of it if u have any .... also let me know what u think an estimated shipping cost would be. My Zip code is (20706).
Old 03-17-2010 | 05:43 PM
Intermediate

35 hz for low bass?? What if you want the low lows you go for 30 hz. Ported is for louder bass, sealed is for tighter cleaner bass. If you want the loudness go for ported. Just dont buy a prefab box. Have one built you may pay a little over $100 but it's will be worth it trust me. If you were in nc i'd build you one. I suggest getting on some car audio forums and asking for local builders. That's not that big of a sub but should sound nice.

I'm basically looking for something with more cleaner and tighter bass.
Old 03-17-2010 | 07:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by chinexcodo
Thanks for your feedback 'Mattastick'. And yeah i sure don't mind paying for shipping as long as the box is in a good shape and would be appropriate for my woofer as described above. I'll like to see some pics of it if u have any .... also let me know what u think an estimated shipping cost would be. My Zip code is (20706).
Absolutely, here's a link to my BM FS thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/alpine-cda-7897-3-sub-boxes-1st-gen-cl-739949/

Either of the single 12" sub boxes should work for you. The 2nd one would be my personal choice, since it will be louder, but if you want the showy 1st box, I really don't care. The 1st box would cost more to ship than the 2nd, due to the extra piece of plexi in there, which is very heavy. Just a rough guess on the 2nd box is around $35 for shipping. I've never weighed the 1st box, but I'd say no more than $60 for shipping that one. Let me know if you want to go with either of those.
Old 03-17-2010 | 09:13 PM
Intermediate

Absolutely, here's a link to my BM FS thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739949

Either of the single 12" sub boxes should work for you. The 2nd one would be my personal choice, since it will be louder, but if you want the showy 1st box, I really don't care. The 1st box would cost more to ship than the 2nd, due to the extra piece of plexi in there, which is very heavy. Just a rough guess on the 2nd box is around $35 for shipping. I've never weighed the 1st box, but I'd say no more than $60 for shipping that one. Let me know if you want to go with either of those.

Thanks for the link, but I was hoping to see a pic of what the finished sub enclosures looks like. Do you happen to have such pics? ....
Old 03-17-2010 | 10:36 PM
Drifting

Those are the finished enclosures. They're bare MDF. Cover them however you want. Or I can take them to a buddy of mine and have him cover them in your choice of materials.

Here's a link to one of his most recent builds, so you can see how he covers an enclosure: http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/f...ad.php?t=31511

That one has some things done to it that none of my boxes do, which helps to make them look better carpeted. That being said, I'm sure we can come up with at least a better looking box than you can get at most stores. And my boxes will all perform better too.
Old 03-18-2010 | 12:59 AM
Intermediate

Those are the finished enclosures. They're bare MDF. Cover them however you want. Or I can take them to a buddy of mine and have him cover them in your choice of materials.

Here's a link to one of his most recent builds, so you can see how he covers an enclosure: http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/f...ad.php?t=31511

That one has some things done to it that none of my boxes do, which helps to make them look better carpeted. That being said, I'm sure we can come up with at least a better looking box than you can get at most stores. And my boxes will all perform better too.
Yes, I rather have him cover it up with the same material n color of material he used for the sub in the thread u just showed me ... that would be nice. I noticed in that thread, his sub was a dual enclosure and was pretty heavy that they would only ship it by freight .... Since what I want is the single 12" enclosure, it shouldn't be that heavy and should ship by ground. That being said, if he can get it covered up and looking nice by this weekend, we can have a deal cuz I'm serious abt it.

One more thing ... Just curious, if he has to build me one from scratch, how much would he charge???

Last edited by chinexcodo; 03-18-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2010 | 05:04 AM
Drifting

Yes, I rather have him cover it up with the same material n color of material he used for the sub in the thread u just showed me ... that would be nice. I noticed in that thread, his sub was a dual enclosure and was pretty heavy that they would only ship it by freight .... Since what I want is the single 12" enclosure, it shouldn't be that heavy and should ship by ground. That being said, if he can get it covered up and looking nice by this weekend, we can have a deal cuz I'm serious abt it.

One more thing ... Just curious, if he has to build me one from scratch, how much would he charge???
You're right. That box he built was massive, but it was for 2 15s. I'm pretty sure both of my single 12 boxes are lighter than that 1 box.

As for by this weekend, that's not going to happen, sorry dude. I left the house this morning around 5:15am or so, and I won't be back home till Monday, hopefully by around 5pm. So that means the earliest I could get to my buddy's with the box would be Tuesday or so, but I'd have to talk to him. I'll try to get ahold of him today to set something up, and I'll post it when I know.

As for his prices, I have no idea. I could ask him for you I guess.

Another thing I want to make sure of before I sell you this box is that it will fit in your trunk. Have you measured your trunk to see if the box will fit? You need to do this, just in case. I don't expect it to have any problems fitting, but I want to make sure before you send me any money.
Old 03-18-2010 | 06:37 AM
Intermediate

Oh if it won't be possible this weekend then I'll keep my options open for now just incase while u try to contact him and make inquiry .... In the main time I'll make the measurements as u suggested and post them up soon as I can.
Old 03-18-2010 | 08:19 AM
Drifting

Oh if it won't be possible this weekend then I'll keep my options open for now just incase while u try to contact him and make inquiry .... In the main time I'll make the measurements as u suggested and post them up soon as I can.
I just talked to my buddy, and we're going to work on the box on Tuesday. Fortunately, he's not too busy. He's only got 3 other boxes he's working on, besides his own (http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/f...ad.php?t=33771) that he's working on, plus his full time job. Plus I had to run up there anyway to grab some speakers, so this is just another reason for me to go. Once you get the dimensions of your trunk, either cross check to make sure the box will fit, or post them here and I'll try to check this weekend while I'm gone.
Old 03-18-2010 | 03:50 PM
Intermediate

I just talked to my buddy, and we're going to work on the box on Tuesday. Fortunately, he's not too busy. He's only got 3 other boxes he's working on, besides his own (http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/f...ad.php?t=33771) that he's working on, plus his full time job. Plus I had to run up there anyway to grab some speakers, so this is just another reason for me to go. Once you get the dimensions of your trunk, either cross check to make sure the box will fit, or post them here and I'll try to check this weekend while I'm gone.

Ok sounds good .. glad u were able to talk to him. i'm yet to measure my trunk but will do so soon cuz I'm currently at work and don't get off until a little later. Will post it up as soon as I get it.
Old 03-21-2010 | 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Ok i finally got a chance to measure out the dimensions of my trunk as well as take some pics:
Height - 20.1 inches (from top to bottom)
Width - 41.0 inches (from the back seat to the front opening of the trunk)
Length from left to right - 34 inches (deep interior), 44 inches (middle interior), 54 inches (outer interior).
Old 03-21-2010 | 05:54 PM
Drifting

Any of my boxes would fit in there. Your trunk is a decent bit bigger than mine, so any of the boxes would work. Just let me know which one you want...
Old 03-21-2010 | 06:12 PM
Intermediate

Any of my boxes would fit in there. Your trunk is a decent bit bigger than mine, so any of the boxes would work. Just let me know which one you want...

Ok cool .... Glad your boxes would fit. So which of the boxes were u gonna have your friend put a material on come tuesday? ... Can u email me a pic of both boxes side by side pls so that I can make a final pick? check ur private inbox for my e-mail address. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2010 | 06:41 PM
Drifting

Look in the thread. There are dimensions and everything in there. The boxes look the exact same as they do in those pics. Nothing has changed. And we'll carpet whichever box you want...
Old 03-21-2010 | 07:15 PM
Intermediate

Look in the thread. There are dimensions and everything in there. The boxes look the exact same as they do in those pics. Nothing has changed. And we'll carpet whichever box you want...

Ok I went back n viewed the pics from the previous threads, I'll rather do the box without the plexiglass ... but is it a sealed enclosure or ported one??
Old 03-21-2010 | 08:19 PM
Drifting

All 3 of the enclosures in that thread are ported ones.
Old 03-21-2010 | 09:07 PM
Intermediate

All 3 of the enclosures in that thread are ported ones.

I wanted a tight sealed box tho' .... But it's cool
Old 03-21-2010 | 09:39 PM
Drifting

Just because a box is ported doesn't mean that it won't play double bass-type of music...
Old 03-21-2010 | 11:47 PM
Intermediate

Just because a box is ported doesn't mean that it won't play double bass-type of music...

So any guarantees that your buddy will finish up the material work on tuesday and it will be ready to ship out by Wednesday??
Old 03-22-2010 | 12:39 AM
Intermediate

I just remembered, the specified enclosure for my Sub has to be within 0.5 - 1 cu ft. Is this the case for your subs cuz the link indicated ~2 and 2.25 cu ft??
Old 03-22-2010 | 09:26 PM
Drifting

The ported size recommendation for your sub is .8-1.6. So, while yes, the 2.25 cubes is big, it is not completely out of the range of possibilities. Especially since you're underpowering the sub by a couple of hundred watts, before you factor in impedance rise and all other factors. The larger box will put more pressure on the suspension of the sub, but like I said, since you're underpowering it a bit, you should be alright. Besides, this box will get louder per watt than most will. The problem with using the larger enclosure is that you will run out of mechanical power handling sooner due to the box not "cushioning" the sub as much.
Old 03-23-2010 | 02:09 PM
Intermediate

The ported size recommendation for your sub is .8-1.6. So, while yes, the 2.25 cubes is big, it is not completely out of the range of possibilities. Especially since you're underpowering the sub by a couple of hundred watts, before you factor in impedance rise and all other factors. The larger box will put more pressure on the suspension of the sub, but like I said, since you're underpowering it a bit, you should be alright. Besides, this box will get louder per watt than most will. The problem with using the larger enclosure is that you will run out of mechanical power handling sooner due to the box not "cushioning" the sub as much.

Ok cool .. so today is tuesday and I just wanted to know if we are still on schedule?
Old 03-23-2010 | 02:15 PM
Drifting

We'll be on schedule if you confirm that you want to buy it and send money. Until then, nothing gets done. I'm not wasting my money (or my buddy's time) to get something carpeted if you're not going to buy it...
Old 03-23-2010 | 03:21 PM
Intermediate

We'll be on schedule if you confirm that you want to buy it and send money. Until then, nothing gets done. I'm not wasting my money (or my buddy's time) to get something carpeted if you're not going to buy it...

I never gave you the impression that I wasn't interested in buying it. If you haven't started on it already then u might as well don't worry abt it anymore cuz It's taking longer than I had budgeted for it anyways. I'll seek my second alternative cuz I need a box before the end of this week.
Old 03-23-2010 | 03:31 PM
Drifting

I told you I wouldn't be able to work on it until tonight at the earliest. That means it's going to ship tomorrow at the earliest. I don't know why this is all of a sudden a problem but whatever dude. I thought I was very up front with you about the boxes I have...
Old 03-23-2010 | 06:44 PM
Intermediate

I told you I wouldn't be able to work on it until tonight at the earliest. That means it's going to ship tomorrow at the earliest. I don't know why this is all of a sudden a problem but whatever dude. I thought I was very up front with you about the boxes I have...

Well I'm still interested in the box. Let me know how much it'll cost me for shipping as we discussed earlier.