adding the Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 03:13 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding the Navi?

When I got my TSX I passed on the nav system but now I wish I had paid the extra 2G's and got it. Is there a way to switch now that I have the car or is that something that has to be done in the factory?

thanks
john
Old 02-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Master in Science

Re: adding the Navi?

Originally posted by SkanKlayer
When I got my TSX I passed on the nav system but now I wish I had paid the extra 2G's and got it. Is there a way to switch now that I have the car or is that something that has to be done in the factory?

thanks
john
It's not really worthwhile. You are better off buying an aftermarket unit and installing it under the stock radio.

I believe the price is ~$1,400 (dealer), and requires replacement of the entire radio stack.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think it is possible. But if it is it will now cost you $4k. Thats the replacement cost of the navi.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:53 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
and isnt there additional factors other that just replacing the dash area with the navi?? What about the Gyro's and GPS antenna?? and the dead reckoning functions....i am sure that these are located on certain parts of the car...the car would have to be gutted in some cases just to add them, instead of it happening on the assembly line...

how would the trip computer be added in? there are just too many things that would make it impossible...
Old 02-10-2004, 03:41 AM
Instructor

It would cost a LOT more than 4 G's to put navi into a non-navi car... buying the parts in pieces is prohibitively expensive, and time consuming. I don't get why people don't buy more nav cars... $2k for factory-integrated, voice-activated, sound system-controlling, ACC controlling, touch-screen activated, place finding navi is a steal.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:57 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Altersys
It would cost a LOT more than 4 G's to put navi into a non-navi car... buying the parts in pieces is prohibitively expensive, and time consuming. I don't get why people don't buy more nav cars... $2k for factory-integrated, voice-activated, sound system-controlling, ACC controlling, touch-screen activated, place finding navi is a steal.
Exactly...what is the 2000 financed over 60 months...like an extra 48$ per month...not that much more...if you are on the fence, then get the navi...
Old 02-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Former Audio Mod

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
SkanKlayer, welcome! Don't fret, if you're willing to wait a year or so, you'll be able to get systems that are way better than the stock GPS. Probably 2 and you'll have telematics (geospatial contextually aware information lookup).
Old 02-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

the gyros and sensors should be located in the trunk mounted unit.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:20 PM
! deadmau5 !

Re: adding the Navi?

We just ordered a PWP with no Navi. Even tho' the Acura unit's the best in the business, a P4 laptop + DeLorme is also ~2K ... and you get to watch movies, too. (My Toshiba's Bluetoothed, so I can retrieve mp3s from my home system. Now all I need is to link the laptop to the sound system. :-)

[QUOTE
[B]When I got my TSX I passed on the nav system but now I wish I had paid the extra 2G's and got it. Is there a way to switch now that I have the car or is that something that has to be done in the factory?
Old 02-14-2004, 11:09 PM
Former Audio Mod

Come on folks, you gotta think about live geospatial data. That's what you get with GPRS 24/7 and GPS. As it is, I'm happy I can get driving directions to any place I want to look up via Yahoo Maps & Yellow Pages. Adding GPS to that type of functionality is the way to go. Also "dropping" geospatial info wherever you are will be something you'll be able to do. Don't worry about adding it.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:16 AM
! deadmau5 !

Live GPS for $129.

Originally posted by schalliol
Come on folks, you gotta think about live geospatial data.
Hi schalliol,

Visit http://www.delorme.com and you'll see the USB-powered GPS receiver bundled with "Street Atlas 2004" for $129 retail. That's your "live" connection. But please keep in mind that the $129 price is only "suggested retail" ... you should be able to find the bundle (device + software) for less. And it doesn't talk to you. :-)

I haven't yet looked up a comparison of the Acura DVD detailed location data versus the stuff you have on Street Atlas, but I think I saw mention of an Acura "update" disc selling for more than the price of the DeLorme bundle.

Someone who's already invested in the Navi system and uses a laptop regularly might want to post the results of their research here. I'm happy to have avoided the price of the Navi system to begin with.

(Last night, the people riding home in the back of my Yukon from Atlantic City got to see a 17" widescreen version of "Ichi the Killer". Today, my laptop's sitting on my home network while I'm typing this atcha. Tomorrow we'll go upstate, and I might use the DeLorme in whichever car we take -- if I get lost. What could a $2000 integrated GPS system give me versus an $1800 laptop?)

Old 02-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Former Audio Mod

Hey jinnane. I think you missed the point. While i'm sure it has yellow pages, there are other things you'll be able to do with a geospatially related set of software and an Internet connection, though most of what I'm talking about isn't available today. It would know places you want to go from your schedule and perhaps even look up inventorty at stores, etc.

The thing the integrated system allows you is a well mounted connection that looks nice and has well thought-out controls for a driver.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:43 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Live GPS for $129.

Originally posted by jginnane
Hi schalliol,
What could a $2000 integrated GPS system give me versus an $1800 laptop?)

Although this topic has been beaten to death already in other threads....

First and foremost the built in NAV is ready to go at all times. The same can't be said for a laptop.

1. Where exactly are you going to put this laptop? In the passenger seat? What if you have a passenger? If you do have it in the passenger seat how is it secured if you have to make a fast stop?

2. Laptops take time to boot up. Then you have to login and then run the program. In order to control it you have to use the keyboard and mouse. Something you don't want to do when driving.

With the built in NAV, it is ready to go seconds after you start the car. The built in NAV is far more easier to use and control than a laptop when you are driving, which means safer. It can also be voice controlled which in my experience works pretty well.

3. Lets say you stop somewhere. You certainly can't leave that laptop in the car unless you want it stolen. So you have to shut it down and put it in the trunk. Then when you come back you have to take it back out boot it back up.

Once again, the NAV is ready to go when you start the car.

IMO, a laptop isn't an option unless the only time you want to use GPS is when taking the occational long trip and you have someone with you to control it.

So what does the $2000 integrated give you over a $1800 laptop? It is ready to go at all times, which means you will use it FAR more, thats what. A laptop would be a major pain in the ass.

If you didn't buy a TSX with a NAV, then I think the best solution is to get one of the portable GPS units like the ones GARMIN sells. Like the Street Pilot. Or this new one that is due in April...

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap276c/

I have had my TSX with NAV since late April 2003 and the built in NAV has been extremely useful.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Former Audio Mod

Agreed:
The thing the integrated system allows you is a well mounted connection that looks nice and has well thought-out controls for a driver.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Live GPS for $129.

Originally posted by GeorgeTSX
1. Where exactly are you going to put this laptop? In the passenger seat? What if you have a passenger? If you do have it in the passenger seat how is it secured if you have to make a fast stop?
Also, it's virtually impossible to find a secure mounting position where the screen is easily and safely monitored while driving. Control of the laptop is also very questionable whether by keyboard or mouse-type controls. I agree, the best alternative is a dedicated standalone GPS receiver or a PDA with built-in GPS (Garmin iQue3600). Stay away from PDA add-on solutions since the cost is usually close to a dedicated GPS when you add the cost of the maps.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:28 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by Altersys
Because I have no need and would rather spend the $48/mo (as estimated) on crappy satellite TV.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:05 AM
Former Audio Mod

What I really think should happen is that car companies should build standards. That's been the case forever, it would be ideal. There was some talk of this in the past for a car network to be shared to lower cost. It really makes a lot of sense. You plug in an alarm system to the network and automatically it understands how to control the locks and windows. This would also work for in-car information displays, etc. Rather than having a crappy system as exists today, there should be some choice in what you use and how it functions. Obviously car companies think they can make a lot of money with these systems, so they don't want to share, and I know that they are looking for personalization options and live data options. Sigh...well, eventually we'll get there I'm sure.

The point of all of this is that the we should have modular solutions. I see all this talk about simply getting a new DVD for your system, but it should be easier. I mean, come on, there's already a nice LCD display, controls for that display integrated nicely, a CPU to control the processing of this information, a DVD Player to run some software and the GPS tracking system. Why shouldn't people be able to add network services, personalized information, adding some processing of information, etc? It only requires a bit to be changed in that event. if there were better standards, there would be competition for these car nav systems.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:07 AM
Former Audio Mod

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Because I have no need and would rather spend the $48/mo (as estimated) on crappy satellite TV.
$48/mo for crappy satellite TV? I'm thrilled w/ my service w/ DirecTV for $39/mo, what do you have? ...ok, perhaps we should take it off topic
Old 03-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Advanced

Not sure if anyone asked this yet, didn't see anything on this question though - If I wanted to install the navi on a non-navi car, just install the navi just for the screen, no gps nothing like that, just the screen and radio, pretty much the normal functions of a non-navi car, would it work? I know it'd be an expensive thing to do considering you wont benefit from the navi entirely, I'm just curious.