Adding a Bluetooth kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a Bluetooth kit

I am still cross-shopping the TL and TSX. As I start reconsidering the TSX, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to add a 3rd party bluetooth module.

At least 2 of them are made.... the big ones are from Parrot (driveblue.com) and Motorola.

http://www.driveblue.com/(ikzavjiy5usjijn3fyeulpzq)/Default.aspx?root=ck3000

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin...37338&zipcode=

The Parrot one seems to want a car stereo head unit with ISO connectors so it can automatically mute and send audio via the stereo. Is the TSX head unit ISO compliant in the back?

Didn't know if anyone knew more about the potential of these guys. Y'know, to narrow the feature gap between the TSX and TL!

Jon
Old 01-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Wow! Who knew there'd be so much interest in this topic!!

Jon
Old 01-10-2004, 05:31 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
check with BassMechanic, he has a sony/ericsson module I belive, seemed cool to me.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:42 AM
Racer

I considered a car kit and ended up getting the Sony-Ericsson earpiece.

Pros: Can use it outside of the car, don't have to share your conversation with passengers, cheaper, don't have to install it / do anything to my car like opening panels to run wires
Cons: Have to charge it every 2 days, have to put it on (it can be hard to get it out of my pocket while driving, so sometimes I just wear it for the whole drive if I'm expecting a call), unavoidable teasing from anyone who sees you put it on
Old 01-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Advanced

dnl2ba,

Actually, I was thinking of getting both (if I don't get the TL, that is). I would get the BT carkit, and a Jabra or similar earpiece for outside-the-car comms.

The wonder of a BT phone is that it'll work with a myriad of BT accessories. I am also looking for a BT carkit that will also provide an interfacr to a BT-enabled iPod! Apparently, one of the BT car kits (I think Motorola) presumes to be compatible with the iPod... providing a wireless AUX input to your car stereo!

Jon
Old 01-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Instructor

I have the sony/ericsson handsfree kit(bluetooth) installed. Has option to connect to oem front speakers but it's useless without being able to mute the stereo. I have it installed with the external speaker that comes with the kit, the sound is mediocre but the kit overall is very convenient, for instance, you can program the phone/kit for voice command dialing, so it can potentially be 100% handsfree. Install is easy, all you really need is a power source(I used the power adapter below the radio) and placement of the mic/switch and speaker.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Advanced

TSX007,

So you're saying that the stereo isn't compatible to hook into the mute setting or car speaking output?

Jon
Old 01-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

TSX007 i set mine up to mute the drivers speaker and send the HF kit sound through my drivers door speaker, works perfect. but i had to make my own adapter.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:41 PM
Advanced

Bass Mechanic,

Can you describe how you went about making your won adapter? This sounds like the best way to approach this problem.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 01-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by JonDeutsch
Bass Mechanic,

Can you describe how you went about making your won adapter? This sounds like the best way to approach this problem.

Thanks,
Jon
yeah any info you can provide would be really helpful, by the way, I think this may have been discussed in the past, but Bass Mechanic, were you able to mute all the speakers or just the front?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

i just muted the front drivers side speaker, but i belive it would be posible to mute the system because i think there is a wire from the navi unit that mutes and patched through a signal from the navi voice.

i muted the speaker because i used a relay that essentially disconnects the speaker and patches in the HF kit. i had to build a current amplifier with a transistor to get enough current from the HF kit to trigger the relay. if you wanted to take the time you could easily use a different relay and wire it so the 2 front speakers would mute and switch to phone when in use.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Advanced

oh boy, this sounds very complicated. Are installers able to do this kind of stuff?

Jon
Old 01-15-2004, 05:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JonDeutsch
oh boy, this sounds very complicated. Are installers able to do this kind of stuff?

Jon
that is a tough question, i have been a professional installer for about 8 years but have been installing for a total of about 16 years. in my experience not many installers i have worked with know the first thing about electronics. and even less about accoustics.
for me having been through electronics engineering it was a simple task.
if you want this mod and dont want the expense of having some joe shmoe try to figure out how to install what i have on your car i would be happy to build the adapter and give instructions to you to do the install yourself.

i have the wirecolors and location to get to the wires you need to tap into to make it work. i think i offered to build the adapter for 50 bucks and ill even ship it to you for free as long as your a US resident.
its not hard to make and not many parts but considering the time to build it and go buy the parts that is a fair price for me.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Advanced

Bass Mechanic,

Woah... that is awesome! I beleive I will take you up on that when I'm ready to roll...

My next question is surrounding audio enhancements. Can I assume you've done a great job of that as well?

From what I gather, I'd need to do the following to get a decent sounding system:

- Replace the 4 6.5" speakers with Alpines

To make it better...

- Replace the 6x9s in the rears with 8" subs (custom bracket required - ouch)

To make it even better...

- Replace the amp with improved 4-channel amp

Am I correct in this assessment? Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 01-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

mine is stock and it sounds great. the biggest weak point of the stock system is that if you turn up the bass too much or you listen to stuff with low bass tones the speakers will distort. however if you listen to real music it sounds perfect.

also it should be noted that although many would argue that the stock speakers are cheap. however being that i have designed and built my own speakers in the past i can tell you that the light weight paper cones of the TSX are in fact more efficient than any aftermarket speaker. i would even be willing to lay odds that they reproduce lower bass tones better than aftermarket ones will. they EQed the system to match the stock speakers and replacing them will throw the frequency responce off.
IMO im fine with the stock system, its plenty loud, has adequet bass and highs and for the most part listening to somthing besides rap music is actually about one of the better stock systems i have yet seen, only the new TL would rival the TSX stereo.