adding amp and subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 05:48 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding amp and subwoofer

my tl is 2003 s-type and iterested in adding a little more bass to the acura/bose system. i might either buy an LOC or an amp with the line-level-input. where do i splice in the wires. if after the head unit, where exactly? and does this harm the bose system at all? nee help
thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Cruisin'

you might wanna get it proffesionally done. My friend from sound systems says doing TL's is a bitch
Old 03-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Burning Brakes

the DIY is on the stereo forum of this site. I've done this amp and 2 10" addition to the stock bose and it's not ez but doable.You can accually use a stand type low or high level input amp.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:16 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i did it too and you can do it, i guarantee. you will just have to remove the rear seat to access the wiring for the stereo.

there are wiring diagrams available here on the forum just try a search for "stereo wiring" or something like that. i tried splicing it between the EQ and the stock sub amp. my output is not very loud though so i suspect there is a voltage drop on the signal after the eq. i would recommend taking it between the head unit and the eq. all you'll need is an LOC and some 'tap-in' connectors from walmart or radioshack. let us know how it goes or if you need more help!

SSTS
Old 03-25-2004, 07:24 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

sorry for double-posting. i outran my 5 minute limit for editing my post. ive ridden in a tsx once and i looked at one when i bought my tl about 2 months ago. nice cars for what they are, but just not on par with the tl-s.

someone else did comment though that since it shares the rsx engine that it may be alot easier to beef up than ours. oh well....
Old 03-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Convert your sub outs at the sub to RCA and run to your amp. Easiest thing to do.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:21 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally posted by RACINGHART03
Convert your sub outs at the sub to RCA and run to your amp. Easiest thing to do.
you can do that but its not good for the amp or sound quality. that signal has allready been amplified and will distort when the gain is cranked up (or possibly even when its not). now i know people who have done things like that and it sounds ok, but i would recommend against it, unless you just want to do something that is non-intrusive and totally reversible.

SSTS
Old 03-26-2004, 05:27 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whatap SSTS, its been a while. u think if i hook up an aftermarket amp to the stock sub, it would help a lil? i dont have the cash to do the full system makeover just yet.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Dark DJ
whatap SSTS, its been a while. u think if i hook up an aftermarket amp to the stock sub, it would help a lil? i dont have the cash to do the full system makeover just yet.
If you don't have too much money for a system..but want that little bump, try a BassLink.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:26 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally posted by Dark DJ
not much Dark DJ, i've been busy slaving for my paychecks

it will definitely help you, but you have to be careful not to blow the stock sub obviously. im sure it can't handle much more than 150-200W peak (i would imagine its posted somewhere around here).

if you plan on upgrading to a sub-box or to make your own box in the future then i would say go for it and grab an amp on sale from best-buy or circuit city.

the only drawback is that you essentially will have to do a little custom wiring to bypass the stock amp. which would'nt be terribly hard, but you will most likely have to fashion a custom connector to go from the new amp to the stock sub. unless you cut the existing connector off and wire it up to the new amp, so long as you dont care about putting it back to the way it originally was.

circuit city and best-buy usually have some good deals though for two 12" subs, box and amp. if you want a cost conscious solution i would go with that. but like i said if you plan on going big in the future, then sure, go ahead and buy the amp now and the sub later. hope this helps, sorry for the drawn out post.

and by all means check out your other options like the basslink or a bazooka tube. you may be perfectly happy with just that. $350 for the basslink (the first site i found, you may find it cheaper) is a decent price. my alpine amp and box together cost about $550 if i recall. i don't regret spending it, but that may not be as much as you're willing to part with.

SSTS
Old 04-04-2004, 09:59 PM
4th Gear

SatinSilverTypS- thanks for the infor. but just want to make sure. if i spliced the wires before the amp for the stock sub, that should work right? is that signal already EQ'd. Do i still need LOC around here?
perfusion
Old 04-04-2004, 10:06 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome SSTS, i think ill save up for now, i might get some hookups w/ some subs n and amp. but regardless ill keep your suggestions in mind!