AC on all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC on all the time?

I did RTFM but I still have a question I can't get answered. I don't want the AC on all the time, just the vent. So I hit the OFF button on the NAV/AC screen, then the mode I want and then the fan speed. So I think it's off but with a vent. Then after I do that I'll go back to a different menu and change the temp a bit. It gives you that little screen at the top that says AC (then it has the graphic that shows the fan speed). Does that mean the AC is on, or just the climate control is on but it doesn't want to say "vent" so it says AC. Help me out here.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Atleast on the non-Navi, what you did would not have the A/C on. Whether this is a bug or not with the Navi, I can't tell, but the easiest thing to do is test the temp ultra low on a hot day. If it goes cold, then the A/C is back on and you found a really cool bug.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

Yeah, I hope it's not a bug. I hate having to take the car in for a fix or bug. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Pro

as far as i know, a/c is always on in auto mode. and whenever i start the climate system, it will start the a/c as well, i almost feel lke install a relay myself to stop that. if i got a matching switch, i will do it before winter...
Old 09-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Advanced

...this topic has come up a lot on the various Honda/Acura forums that I've checked out. This is what the dealers say here where I live, both Honda and Acura...
"...the a/c is designed to be left on at all times, it will actually be worse on the system if you don't leave it on because of how its designed, and it has very little effect on overall gas mileage. It has a designed in dehumidification system that removes humidity when you use the defrost settings, defrosting will not work without the a/c on, you will simply end up with fogged up glass, this is what the Honda factory reps tell us..."
I have listened to many guys telling how they have found ways to circumvent the system into not being on when they use the defrosters, my question has always been why...it is how your car is designed to work most efficiently, why does everyone think they're a better automotive engineer than the gang of people who actually designed the various Honda products?
...what is wrong with using your car the way Honda/Acura intended?
...the a/c has been on in my Acura since I bought it, along with the a/c in my Odyssey, both are still going strong and my gas mileage figures are right where the specs say they should be, so don't give me a bunch of nonsense about saving gas, it doesn't apply to the much more efficiently designed a/c systems on newer cars...
...that's my take on the issue and I stand by what Honda/Acura say about it.

Lorne Miller
Old 09-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

Well then Lorne. Thanks for the response. I was just wondering if there was a vent option for like when you have the windows down or something to keep air circulating while sitting at a light or something. Thanks for the info. I wasn't worried about gas mileage since I seem to be doing quite nicely with the AC on anyway.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Advanced

...hey tpyt360, when I'm sitting in traffic at a light and even when I have the windows down, I usually keep the a/c on the recirc setting, seems to work out OK, but as per your comment on just using the vent, the TSX up here in Canada doesn't have the NAVI system on board so as far as I know the vent works just the same as on the older generation cars...

Lorne Miller
Old 09-11-2003, 06:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Lorne Miller
...hey tpyt360, when I'm sitting in traffic at a light and even when I have the windows down, I usually keep the a/c on the recirc setting, seems to work out OK, but as per your comment on just using the vent, the TSX up here in Canada doesn't have the NAVI system on board so as far as I know the vent works just the same as on the older generation cars...

Lorne Miller
This is more towards your previous statement on defroster controls. Most cars (I mean back 10-15 yrs) had the A/C on with defroster, most people just didn't know that. The purpose of air conditioning isn't actually about cooling, its about removal of moisture (quick history lesson). The purpose for having the A/C on while defrosting is two-fold.
1. Its far easier to defrost a window with low moisture air (cold or hot)
2. Most people wouldn't by choice run the A/C in the winter so by having the compressor work in winter time with the defroster, the seals will get lubricated in the system.

Honda has done a great job at making this A/C very efficient in Auto mode since it adjust to temperature AND will automatically pull fresh air in when the cabin reaches its programmed temp.

Sometime though, I just like the straight cool air from outside without the A/C running.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Pro

good point; Honda user to give driver choice of turning a/c on or not during de-frost, but was hit was poor de-frost rating in mag review and many customer complains. most of time, drivers just don't know they need to turn on A/C to get the moistours out of air. therefore they now take that choice away and solve most complain and mag review no long dive them bad rating for poor defrost.
i just don't want to have my a/c on when i don't need it. my 5AT feel less power and i am sure take more gas. but i am also sure it is a good system.