6.5'' free air vs 6.5'' component woofer.. need help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.5'' free air vs 6.5'' component woofer.. need help.

I have 2 pairs of 6.5 inch kicker speakers, 2 of them are the component 6.5 inch speaker ( i also have the 1 inch kicker nd25 silk tweeters), I am putting these in the door of my 04 TL. Then I have 6.5 inch kicker "free air" (and another pair of tweeters) that I wanted to put in the back... I bought these so long ago, havent used them yet, for some reason I thought both pairs are the 6.5 components not the free air, but I see now one pair is free air. The magnent is much bigger and heavier but it still is under the 3.375 inch mounting depth so will fit in the rear.

Is it ok to put the free airs in the rear deck location or will they not sound as good as if they were the same ones that are going in the door? Is there any pro/cons to having free airs 6.5 vs the 6.5 components? Sound quality or performance-wise, etc etc.

Should I just get another pair of 6.5 component speakers from kicker?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:26 AM
Burning Brakes

There should be no problems installing free airs and components in the same install. The free air mids should provoide a bit more bass than the components. Components would really work best in a small sealed area, like kick panels. Free air are designed for just that, free air installs. The only problem might be installing them in the rear deck. If you have sub/subs in the the trunk the bass from the subs could cause breakup in the free air mids due to being in the same somewhat sealed space of the trunk. Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraX2
There should be no problems installing free airs and components in the same install. The free air mids should provoide a bit more bass than the components. Components would really work best in a small sealed area, like kick panels. Free air are designed for just that, free air installs. The only problem might be installing them in the rear deck. If you have sub/subs in the the trunk the bass from the subs could cause breakup in the free air mids due to being in the same somewhat sealed space of the trunk. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks a lot for the reply, I feel better now about the situation. There will be no subs until probably after the winter so for the time being it will be the 2 pairs of kicker 6.5's and the 2 pairs of the kicker ND25 1inch tweeters. When I put the subs in, most likely it will be 2 10inch solobarics or maybe even 2-3 8 inch, not sure what I want yet... but when that happens, is there a way to prevent the break up in the mids in the rear deck? get rid of the free air and buy something else? any info would be appreciated... thanks....
Old 11-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
the only way would be to build some sort of box around the mid speaker. I have had friends that had speakers in the rear deck with subs and the rear deck speakers sounded like crap and one guys subs actually blew the speaker apart! it was a cheep factory speaker, but it depends on the amount of bass you are going to get. anything above moderate levels, and I would think you need to keep the subs sound waves off the back of the rear deck mid speaker.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ou sig
the only way would be to build some sort of box around the mid speaker. I have had friends that had speakers in the rear deck with subs and the rear deck speakers sounded like crap and one guys subs actually blew the speaker apart! it was a cheep factory speaker, but it depends on the amount of bass you are going to get. anything above moderate levels, and I would think you need to keep the subs sound waves off the back of the rear deck mid speaker.
So in that situation would I keep the free airs and build some sort of vented box or get rid of the 6.5's and buy the 6.5 component and build a sealed box?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

OU Sig is correct. A small sealed enclosure built around them would be best. But, then you defeat the purpose of the free air. If you mount the free airs on the rear deck now and add subs later, then you really need to take the free airs out and put in something that you could build a small sealed box for. Are you set on the rear deck? You could try to have the free airs mounted in the rear doors. Although alot of custom work would be needed because of the depth.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraX2
OU Sig is correct. A small sealed enclosure built around them would be best. But, then you defeat the purpose of the free air. If you mount the free airs on the rear deck now and add subs later, then you really need to take the free airs out and put in something that you could build a small sealed box for. Are you set on the rear deck? You could try to have the free airs mounted in the rear doors. Although alot of custom work would be needed because of the depth.

Dont want to do any mods other than putting subs in the trunk in the spring, dont want to change any structure or start cutting things in the car.

So i guess I have to get the component 6.5 (r6) kicker speakers for the rear deck in the spring when I add the subs.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGQDieselNY
Dont want to do any mods other than putting subs in the trunk in the spring, dont want to change any structure or start cutting things in the car.

So i guess I have to get the component 6.5 (r6) kicker speakers for the rear deck in the spring when I add the subs.

ya you are on the right track keep us up to date on what you do.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ou sig
ya you are on the right track keep us up to date on what you do.
Will do.

btw I assume the free airs will offer a deeper and stronger low end mid bass as opposed to the 6.5 component if I compared the 2... I guess I will see when I changed them up in the spring.