TSX: 2006 TSX Speaker Size Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:22 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 TSX Speaker Size Question

AcuraZine readers,

I have a 2006 Acura TSX w/Nav and an A-Spec kit. I am looking to replace/upgrade my speaker system and was looking to your advice.

First off, what are the dimensions of the:
Tweeters (1" or 3/4")
Front Door (6" or 5 1/4")
Rear Door (6" or 5 1/4")
Rear (6" x 9")

Also, I was thinking of going w/the Sony XS-GT1626A for front/rear door, Sony XS-GT6936A for the rear, and doing Sony XS-H20S on the tweeters?

Please give any information on size, brand, and preferred vendor (I was looking at Crutchfield) for this?

Thanks.

AKB5
Old 09-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
recommend against Sony.

Recommend going active with processor and amplify each speaker, you can run the rears off deck power if you want since rear fill should sit somewhere around -20dB in output relative to the front.

This is a decent fitment guide
http://www.mobiletoys.com/partners/i...y/Default.aspx

Recommend installing deadening / sealing materials in the doors you do, to reduce resonance, and seal up the door for more midbass presence.

I would advise 6.5" woofers up front, tweeters in the A-pillar, and 6x9 in the back (you might want to just keep the stock rears since they are rear fill anyway.) For tweeters, I believe this system just uses woofers with tweeters in-line using a basic cheap crossover, which I wouldn't suggest. Running a 4ch amplifier to the front speakers with processing sending a proper tweeter signal to 2 ch's, and a proper woofer signal to 2ch's would be the way I'd go. With this, then, you can run something in the DIY market from say, www.partsexpress.com or www.meniscusaudio.com, or www.madisound.com Right now, Parts Express has a Jantzen 6" woofer on sale for $50 instead of ~$200, and the depth and size appears to be spot-on for a door install. Those would kill along with a powerful 4ch amp to run them. For tweeters, sky's the limit but my lowly Dayton ND20FA tweets I bought for $8 each are fantastic options.

Deadening recommendations are www.sounddeadenershowdown.com not just for product but education, and www.raamaudio.com and the BXTII product.

Processor would be unequivocally the JBL MS8, which is going to have its own amp power so that's a plus for the rears, possible center, and you could even amp the tweets if you wanted to (but a real amp would sound better on most tweeters.)

That's a start.
The following users liked this post:
Brian Y. Conner (03-13-2012)
Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 PM
9th Gear

This info is incredible, but way over my head. I was just looking to get better speakers, I didn't realize an amp is indeed, and to be honest, I couldn't install (or at least feel confident about it). Could you send me a message and maybe I could correspond w/you directly.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Pro

I'd be happy to but I've found that, if you will allow it, people who follow you or learn from you will be able to better if all correspondence is in the open. Otherwise, people get the feeling of a "missing link" in the discussion.

If you want better speakers but nothing else, you must understand that stock speakers are actually quite good and quite efficient, and to get better without adding extra power is going to be tough. Ask yourself, what does your current system lack? I see no mention of a subwoofer in your list of upgrade thoughts, are you already happy with the bass output? Do you want more midrange, more high end detail, more clarity in general? Louder? What is the goal in mind?

The thing about most audio upgrades is that it is a deep rabbit hole. Sure you can swap speakers, but that isn't really an upgrade sometimes. So, that's why I suggested a systemic upgrade including a processor.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
recommending an active setup to a noob is a bit of reach fourth.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:28 PM
9th Gear

I agree w/eggyhustles. I think an active set-up is a bit of a reach, considering I do not know what it means.

To fourthmeal, I am not unhappy at all with the current sound; however, I thought that since I commute a good bit and like listening to music, etc. It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade speakers through Crutchfield, and my thought before coming onto this forum was if I could upgrade my front door, rear door, and rear deck with some nice Sony speakers and pay for installation for under $500 that would be a nice investment/gift to myself.

I was not planning on replacing my OEM navigation & stereo system, just b/c I like the way it works now, but was looking to just get better sound.

Do people think it would be just wise to stick with the OEM speakers instead of upgrading to Sony stuff? And, if not Sony, what brand do people recommend for someone that isn't wanting to spend a ton, i.e. no full Alpine or Infinity system?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:31 PM
9th Gear

Also, I'm not looking to add a ton of bass as I'm content with that. Just more high quality overall, high end, midrange, and bass.

Thanks a ton for your help.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Pro

Isn't the TSX active in some way already? I was schooled on this bit of knowledge a little while ago as it differs from typical stock stuff. Seems if that's the case, all you need to know then is the crossover points of the stock gear, then you can purchase DIY drivers according to the frequency crossover points and according to your expectations of sound.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:12 PM
9th Gear

Based on my budget, even if I went to $750, would that be enough for speakers, DIY drivers, etc? Also, do you recommend the Crutchfield installers?