2000 TL Navigation display problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 TL Navigation display problem

I have a 2000 Acura TL w/ the Navigation option...for a long time my car has had an issue related to the touchscreen display (or the source that's connected to it) where the display does not come up correctly when the car is started.

Here's what typically happens...

1. Turn the key to the 1st, 2nd or ignition position and the display, etc turn on...however, the screen will (9 out of 10 times) come up the first time with vertical or horizontal bars and not display the Navi startup screen.

2. In order to get the display to work correctly, I then need to turn the key to the off position and back to 1st, 2nd or Start positions multiple times (typically 5-10 times) in order for the Startup screen to appear correctly. Once the Startup screen appears it will work consistently from that point on (i.e. once it's up and running the display is fine until the next time I park the car and have to start it up again.

3. So...the weird thing is that it appears to be somewhat temperature sensitive (when the car has been running a while the Startup screen will come up if I shut the car off and start it up again), but it's not consistent and again - once the Startup screen comes up it works w/o a problem. If it was strictly temperature related you would think that I would see issues intermittently even when the display comes up initially ok. It's almost like there is a driver or something in the Alpine Navi software that doesn't recognize the screen or doesn't use the correct display settings, but once it sees it - it works from that point on...

I have no idea what the smack is up with this, but if any of you know of a "known issue" and a fix it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving holiday!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do all of the non-navigation items appear properly on the display such as the heating and air conditioning settings?

If so, your display is probably fine and your trunk mounted navigation box may be having problems.

In case there's a bad electrical connection, you might want to disconnect and reconnect the connectors at the back of the navigation box. There are mechanical "push to release" tabs on those connectors so be sure to press those if you reach around the back of the unit. (You can also get on your back in the trunk if you want to see what you're working on.)

Beyond that, you might want to access the system's built-in diagnostic screen to see if there's some sort of system reset. You'll need to press some combination of the display buttons to access that. I don't recall the particular steps.