So before i get into detail i'd just like to list my current set up atm:

- Polk audio 800w monoblock amp
- 2 12" Kicker comp SVC 150rms enclosed box
- C7 4 channel 1200w
- Boss battery cap
- 2 6x9 diamond audio speakers
- JVC deck
- 4g power and ground wiring

Ever since i got the new amp, i tried tuning it to the right settings. As of right now, the settings are ( gain: MAX, Bass boost: MAX, Phase: 0, LPF.) But after a while I realized that the subs aren't hitting as low or loud as I want them too. Settings on my deck are (-2 bass, 0 Tre, 1 " special bass"[ basically a bass booster] ). I play at a really high volume and if i turn up the bass on the deck it'll start to distort around 4/5 special bass. Is the amp not powerful enough to hit as loud as I want? They never shut off or went into protection mode yet. I was wondering if it's because of the box I currently have the subs in, would a bigger ported box hit the lower and louder? I was told I should get a stronger amp somewhere around the 1200w area because the current one is not pushing enough juice into 2 subs. And I play bass friendly music ( mostly dubstep).

And another thing, at a high volume and hearing it from outside with closed doors, it sounds really muffled. Do any of you 1st gen TL owners have the same problem? I don't even set off any car alarms, even driving in a parking garage!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:25 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Hi!

What you mention about the Sub being Muffled is Normal on our cars since they have very good sound proofing from Road Noises/Cars Etc. Its works the same way if your Trying to get the Bass out of the Car.

Those Kickers Comps are Really really Low End you should not expect Deep Bass from them instead Loud Bass and that would work better in a Ported Box! If you running 400W Each RMS into those Comps you are really pushing them they are Rated for 150RMS Continous!! They will fry in No time thats for Sure if you dont control the Gains (Set to Max? Wrong!!!!) you need to Calibrate you Amp! The guy that told you to get a Bigger amp is Wacked you have almost 3 times the Power need to run Them what You need is Better Subs for Deep Bass!! Talking about Mid- to High-End Subs.

Hope that Helps.

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-06-2011 at 02:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (10-06-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well i know setting the gain to max is bad, but I was just expressing how the settings are on the amp compared to the actual performance of the speaker, but thank you so much for your input! I told him repeatedly that the amp should be more than enough for both subs! And how would one go about getting the bass out of the car? I'd like to be heard from blocks away if possible
Old 10-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 845 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
Those Kickers Comps are Really really Low End you should not expect Deep Bass from them instead Loud Bass and that would work better in a Ported Box!
^^This, get some better woofers in the right airspace.

FYI, distortion is bad mmmmkay, dial it back a notch when you hear it.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Hi!

What you mention about the Sub being Muffled is Normal on our cars since they have very good sound proofing from Road Noises/Cars Etc. Its works the same way if your Trying to get the Bass out of the Car.

Those Kickers Comps are Really really Low End you should not expect Deep Bass from them instead Loud Bass and that would work better in a Ported Box! If you running 400W Each RMS into those Comps you are really pushing them they are Rated for 150RMS Continous!! They will fry in No time thats for Sure if you dont control the Gains (Set to Max? Wrong!!!!) you need to Calibrate you Amp! The guy that told you to get a Bigger amp is Wacked you have almost 3 times the Power need to run Them what You need is Better Subs for Deep Bass!! Talking about Mid- to High-End Subs.

Hope that Helps.
lulz

talk about misinformation

He needs a better box....not better subs
The following users liked this post:
mattastick (10-30-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 02:24 AM

Lulz?

No custom box will make a Kicker Comp sound Low (They are Cheap Sub and Most of the Time Cheap Subs dont deliver) So by your comment if I buy a couple of Roadmasters Subs from Autozone in a Custom Box they will sound Low??

To the OP you should replace your box at First, Trust a guy who was a Kicker die hard Fan, You will get LOUDNESS from a Kicker Sub not Deep Bass. No Sub Box will work Wonders when a Manufacturer Aims for SPL.

It will also Help to know what Kind of Music eactly you Play, You mention Dubstep and
That enters in the Electronic Area so perhaps you are really Aiming for Deep Low Bass instead of Bumpy Friendly aka Hip-Hop/Rap Some people say Deep Bass but it depends from Person to Person.

Like HEAVY_RL mentions:
You are getting distort becouse the Gain Input you should always start at the Middle some AMP start at 1V some on 1.5V this should be your starting point Then Adjust your Gains by Ear or Download the Wave Clips and a Volt-E-Meter.

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-07-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like HEAVY_RL mentions:
You are getting distort becouse the Gain Input you should always start at the Middle some AMP start at 1V some on 1.5V this should be your starting point Then Adjust your Gains by Ear or Download the Wave Clips and a Volt-E-Meter.
can you tune your amp using a voltmeter? just wondering i have to do this too but don't wanna drop the 400 or so on an 0-scope.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Lulz?

To the OP you should replace your box at First, Trust a guy who was a Kicker die hard Fan, You will get LOUDNESS from a Kicker Sub not Deep Bass. No Sub Box will work Wonders when a Manufacturer Aims for SPL.
Please stop, lol.....
Old 10-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Lulz?

No custom box will make a Kicker Comp sound Low (They are Cheap Sub and Most of the Time Cheap Subs dont deliver) So by your comment if I buy a couple of Roadmasters Subs from Autozone in a Custom Box they will sound Low??

It will also Help to know what Kind of Music eactly you Play, You mention Dubstep and
That enters in the Electronic Area so perhaps you are really Aiming for Deep Low Bass instead of Bumpy Friendly aka Hip-Hop/Rap Some people say Deep Bass but it depends from Person to Person.

Like HEAVY_RL mentions:

Your a moron who should just not try to give advice. Eggy prolly knows more about audio than u could ever dream. And kicker can't get low really? Just plz stop. I'd replace the box with something custom built I have done it plenty of times build a nice box and throw low end subs in and sound amazing.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lulz?

Like HEAVY_RL mentions:
Alot of it can be dependent on the enclosure. I do agree that you shouldnt expect much from an entry level(at best) sub. OP, sell them on craigslist and just do a single sub setup. Youll probably achieve much better results from one driver with a proper enclosure than 2 entry level ones with a pre-fab.

Skirmich, you contradict yourself in this post. If Kickers cannot hit "deep bass" then why would you tel him to replace the box if they are only good for SPL, like you said, when he is after a different sound.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:53 PM

I didnt came here to Argue about who knows stuff or who doesnt but
If you think a 49$ Kicker CVR Sub can Hit low, well..... "lulz".

To Jimmay:
I Did not told him to switch box just to Get Deep Bass, CVRs doesnt really work on Closed Boxes anyway. Switching to Ported Might give him more Punch only.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
I didnt came here to Argue about who knows stuff or who doesnt but
If you think a 49$ Kicker CVR Sub can Hit low, well..... "lulz".

To Jimmay:
I Did not told him to switch box just to Get Deep Bass, CVRs doesnt really work on Closed Boxes anyway. Switching to Ported Might give him more Punch only.

..that pretty much wraps up your knowledge right there lol
Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
LOL at alll this misinfo....
Old 10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL - Deep Kicker Bass....

Hey Guys, I've been running this system in my TL for many , many years (can you tell by the vintage equipment) anyway, the 12" Kicker Solobarics are in custom made boxes that fit snugly into the back corners of the trunk (Fiberglass and MDF Baffle) There is about .85 cubic feet in each sealed box...

The amp driving them is an old Alpine MRV-T1505...I can tell you first hand that this system hits hard and hits very low...my gains are dialed almost all the way back, as it overpowers my entire system....

MB Quart coaxials in rear doors powered by MRVT505, and in front I have MB Quart 3 way system (oversize mid bass in door, 5.25" and tweets in Q-logic kickpanels) powered by MRVF505....

Deck is a Alpine CVA 1005, with processor, and Alpine CD Changer.

This system has run flawlessly since I installed it probably 7 years ago. Ipod input is through one of the A/V inputs on the CVA.

Anyway, no problem with this Kicker Bass what so ever.

--ok, now I am looking how to post a picture and don't see where to attach it...can someone let me know and I'll post a couple of pictures...