TSX: 04 TSX mild audio upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012 | 05:29 PM
Intermediate

04 TSX mild audio upgrade questions

I have a 2004 TSX and want to do a mild, inexpensive upgrade to the audio system. I've read a lot of posts and have learned a lot, but have a few questions. I've ordered Alpine SPS-610C speakers for the front doors/dash, SPS-610 for the rear doors, and SPS-619 for the rear deck. It seem others have used these speakers (or similar) with good results. Some have used the existing amp and cross-overs with the stock H/U, but it sounds like bypassing the existing amp and upgrading the amp and and cross-overs is a good idea. However, it seems like I need a 5-channel amp to run the speakers and the rear subs in the deck. Or a 4-channel sub and a underseat powered sub, or another amp with a separate trunk mounted sub. Is that right? I see there is PAC AOEM HON20 harness to bypass the stock amp. If I don't go with a full blown seperate amp, Alpine make a small KTP-455u that gives a little more power and doesn't require a separate wire run to the battery. I'm not sure though, if this mini amp bypasses the existing amp or is an add-on. I've also read SoundDeadnerShowdown products, but have no idea how to order them. I'd be interested in some good advice and tips. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2012 | 08:59 PM
Cruisin'

Only thing I can really add is to be very careful in what you do. I bought my '04 TSX that already had the stock amp by-passed with line level converters. one for the 4 doors and the tweets and one for the sub. The person I bought it from had one amp and it drove the 6 speakers with 2 channels and the other 2 were bridged to a single sub. However, when I bought the car, he took the amp and sub out.
Not really knowing how weak the electrical system in these cars is, I hooked my Alpine 75x4 bridged to the doors and tweets, and my Alpine m500 to my older Orion XTR 10's at 2 ohms. It sounded REALLY good... for about 2 days. Now there is NO sound at all. I lost all the sound at the same moment and can't find a reason why. I "think" I blew the stock amp, but that doesn't really make sense to my as I only had it turned half way up. ( 20 ) All the features still work, even the interface for the Zune I have. The steering wheel controls still work and all... just not a sound.
So, I reiterate.... just be careful what you do... research everything with this car before you do it. I have seen so many posts about the battery and ALT. being killed by a "mild" system... Hope this doesn't scare you away from doing something with the stock system... but just makes you a little more aware of how weak it really is.
Have a good day.
Old 11-07-2012 | 12:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DexesRevo
Been running a 4x125watt amp and a 1000watt sub amp and haven't had any problems with my electrical system.
Old 11-14-2012 | 07:50 PM
Cruisin'

How are you getting the signal for the amps? Is it before or after the stock amp? mine seems it was wired AFTER the stock amp, then converted to the low level... I still have not had a chance to tear into it to find the cause of losing ALL sound. Is not the amps or the speakers as they are in my S-10 now.

To OP, sorry if this is considered high jacking your post, if so I apologize.