TL: 02 Tl Audio wiring with new amp and speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Tl Audio wiring with new amp and speakers

Ok so I have read through the forum here and this site is a wealth of information! So I have bought a new Pioneer double din head unit for my tl. I have the stock Bose system in it and want to replace the speakers, sub, and amp. I have a few questions before I start.

1. I bought the proper harness for my radio since I have the premium sound. Since I will be replacing the amp, will I just wire the speakers up to the speaker wires on the radio instead of the pre-outs?

2. Does the tl use the amp for just the sub or are all of the speakers amplified? Would I use a mono or multi channel amp?

3. Has anyone done this and what did you use?

4. What kind of sub? I know it is a 9" sub (thats what the sticker says) and it needs to be shallow mount or I need to cut the brace under it.

I plan on buying some nice pioneer 6.5" speakers for the doors and a pioneer sub. I am jot really concerned with booming bass, I just want the sound to be a little louder and more clean than the factory setup. Thanks!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Instructor

im no pro.. but search for threads started by me and you'll find alot of answers to your questions..

1 - i just did an install and i had to connect the wiring harness to the factory harness.. it all matches up nicely. all i needed to buy was connectors from radio shack for ~$10 and crimp the wires together.

2 - from what i read it depends? (not too sure on that one).. mine had amp'd speakers.
mono = 1.. multi = more than 1.. i used a mono amp because all i was amping was my sub.. if you choose to amplify your speakers & sub w/the same amp.. go multi channel (alot of ppl recommend this setup over mine)

3 - pioneer 4200-dvd (great HU), rfostgage p500-1 (mono amp), 1 x JL 10w3v3-2.. amazing sub w/impecible sound

4 - there are alot of postings on the forum where people use the stock sub housing.. i think the last i read someone put a kicker sub in it.. i personally wanted a modified stock look so i decided to get a sub for the trunk and get uncald4's custom sub box.. it looks amazing and provides quality sound. i'm going to be taking the bose sub out and use the space as a port between the trunk and the cabin.

GET COMPONENT SPEAKERS.. they sound great.. (ill be getting mine soon)

also - it seems like you may have picked the pioneer's just because they fit in your car w/minimal mods.. dont do this.. go to a speaker store and LISTEN to the speakers.. all have different sounds.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 PM
5th Gear

I have heard some mixed reviews from different people about the pioneer speakers. I like the Hertz energy series so I am going to pull the door pannels sometime in the next few days and take some measurements. Same for the sub. I have seen a custom enclosure that had 2 JL w3 subs in it and they plexiglassed the front and used the factory sub location as a port. I really do not want to have a huge box in my trunk, that's why I want to use the factory location to mount my sub. Same for the doors, I do not want to mod the speaker grilles. Thanks for the info!!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Instructor

dude - check out memphis audio components!!!! i went to a shop today to check out speakers and ended up buying them. getting them installed tonight. i'll have to get you the model# on them, but they are VERY impressive.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,466 Likes on 3,060 Posts
I'm not a fan of pioneer components, anything sold at walmart gets a from me