$500 to upgrade TSX audio, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006 | 10:39 AM
Instructor

$500 to upgrade TSX audio, what to do?

I'd like to spend $500 to upgrade the audio in a 2006 TSX w/ Nav. I want to leave the stock headunit for sure so I can retain navi/steering wheel functions.

I don't know anything about car audio so dumb it down for me the best ya can

I assume I'd want to replace the speakers first. Maybe add some dynamat when I do that? I listen to mostly rock, so I probably dont need a sub? Are the front speakers component speakers? If so I'd like to replace them with component speakers as well. I'd like to retain the stock look from all outwards appearances, so I guess they've got to fit where the current speakers fit.

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide this noob!

Thanks, -Bret
Old 05-09-2006 | 12:20 PM
Instructor

talk to eld. jps
Old 05-09-2006 | 05:55 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by thorium
I'd like to spend $500 to upgrade the audio in a 2006 TSX w/ Nav. I want to leave the stock headunit for sure so I can retain navi/steering wheel functions.

I don't know anything about car audio so dumb it down for me the best ya can

I assume I'd want to replace the speakers first. Maybe add some dynamat when I do that? I listen to mostly rock, so I probably dont need a sub? Are the front speakers component speakers? If so I'd like to replace them with component speakers as well. I'd like to retain the stock look from all outwards appearances, so I guess they've got to fit where the current speakers fit.

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide this noob!

Thanks, -Bret
Check this out... : )

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/2006-avincar-tsx-speaker-upgrade-kits-337443/
Old 05-09-2006 | 09:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elduderino
Haha man you're so one step ahead of my question. I'm getting my TSX at the end of the month, I'll be giving you a call in a month or so to order that package up.

How difficult would you say the installation is for someone thats never installed any car audio equipment or disassembled an interior? Should I just take it to a shop, or give it a go myself?
Old 05-10-2006 | 09:29 AM
Racer

Do you suggest putting in sound deadening when you swap out the speakers? I'd rather do everything at once than decide in two months that I need the stuff there. Any suggestions on the best sound deadening to put in there if that is the way I go?
Old 05-10-2006 | 10:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast1
Do you suggest putting in sound deadening when you swap out the speakers? I'd rather do everything at once than decide in two months that I need the stuff there. Any suggestions on the best sound deadening to put in there if that is the way I go?
Is everybody around here mind readers? I actually e-mailed elduderino last night the very same question, if he could add the appropriate amount and type of sound deadening material to the speaker package
Old 05-10-2006 | 02:59 PM
Instructor

Please make sure someone posts the answer!

Jeff
Old 05-10-2006 | 04:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwhite4
Please make sure someone posts the answer!

Jeff

I think ElDuderino will chime in here when he gets a chance.
Old 05-12-2006 | 10:19 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

I'm looking at ELD's kits as well...I dunno. I'm also taking a hard look at some Infinity Kappa 2-way 6x9's for the time being. I can pick up a set and some acura wire converters for about $100 total...and the install should be quick and easy. Then go for the front door and tweeters later on...after dropping cash on the clearbra and tint, I just can't do the whole kit at once, and the rear speakers are fucking killing me.
Old 05-12-2006 | 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Your money will be thouroughly wasted on those 6x9s by themselves. A very low crossed-over signal goes to the back speakers, and replacing them with aftermarkets (even good ones) will not help you much, as you'll still get the same weak thump signal going to them.

If you want bass, go for a sub. If you want cabin SQ, upgrade the front components first.
Old 05-12-2006 | 12:44 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Originally Posted by Reach
Your money will be thouroughly wasted on those 6x9s by themselves. A very low crossed-over signal goes to the back speakers, and replacing them with aftermarkets (even good ones) will not help you much, as you'll still get the same weak thump signal going to them.

If you want bass, go for a sub. If you want cabin SQ, upgrade the front components first.
I'm shooting for SQ. I've actually got a Pioneer Bandpass 10 with a 200w amp sitting in my basement from 2 vehicles ago that I could use, but then I wouldn't have a trunk.

Dammit...perhaps the Alpines that are out there for ~$70 will just be enough for now.
Old 05-12-2006 | 12:50 PM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Also...I'm interested to see what these would sound like...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=267-148
Old 05-12-2006 | 01:00 PM
Advanced

you will need an amp to power most of the aftermarket speakers, the factory headunit wont give enough power to aftermarket speakers

A decent set of front component - $150 - $200 most important b/c the driver which is you are in the front --- Alpine, Elemental Design, MB Quarts
A decent set of rear 6x9 - $100 - mainly for people in the backseats --- Alpine, Inifinity, MB Quarts
A decent 4 channel amp is about $200 - $250, JL Audio 300/4 or Elemental Design NINe.4 are both pretty good
Old 05-12-2006 | 04:07 PM
Instructor

Ken @ Avincar (I assume he is elduderino) responded to my e-mail and said adding sound dampening (he recommended Cascade VMAX) would be an additional $60.
Old 05-18-2006 | 11:49 AM
Team Owner

I have Ken's Avincar set in my 04 TSX and think very highly of it. I would recommend installing sound deadening while you have the speakers out for the swap. I also used Cascace VMAX (per Ken's suggestion). I had never done a speaker swap before but I decided to do it myself. It turned out to be not too bad. Ken's instructions were very good and I also found some additional pictures in the TSX DIY section under various other speaker swap threads.
Old 05-19-2006 | 02:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlukja
I have Ken's Avincar set in my 04 TSX and think very highly of it. I would recommend installing sound deadening while you have the speakers out for the swap. I also used Cascace VMAX (per Ken's suggestion). I had never done a speaker swap before but I decided to do it myself. It turned out to be not too bad. Ken's instructions were very good and I also found some additional pictures in the TSX DIY section under various other speaker swap threads.
Thanks for your feedback, very concise. I've read your posts about his system in other threads, but I was on the fence about trying to install it myself. Sounds like I should give it a try, and I did order the Cascade VMAX from Ken when I ordered the speakers, they should arrive any day and I'll give it all a whirl.
Old 05-19-2006 | 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reach
You can definitely get better sound by replacing the rear 6x9s. If you purchase wisely, you'll even get deeper bass.

But no, it will not equal a sub, but at reasonable volumes, I'm pretty happy with the Avincar replacements.

If I needed to really p-off my neighbors, I'd invest in a sub and amp, tho.