Will the Plane Take-Off - Merged with MythBusters Show Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:55 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i have officially lost faith in humanity. if you read the discovery forums, everyone is arguing they did it wrong and the myth was wrong. and i dont just mean i few people, i mean 99% of everyone is screaming bluddy murder that they didnt do it right. people are officially dumb and i hate everybody. these are the people that i have to sit behind in traffic jams. these are the people that take 15 minutes to serve me my fries and cheesburger/ these are the people that should be taken by the government and destroyed and sterilized.

oh....sorry.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
i have officially lost faith in humanity. if you read the discovery forums, everyone is arguing they did it wrong and the myth was wrong. and i dont just mean i few people, i mean 99% of everyone is screaming bluddy murder that they didnt do it right. people are officially dumb and i hate everybody. these are the people that i have to sit behind in traffic jams. these are the people that take 15 minutes to serve me my fries and cheesburger/ these are the people that should be taken by the government and destroyed and sterilized.

oh....sorry.

I noticed that this morning as well.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Those people need to produce a 100 yard treadmill then......
Old 01-31-2008, 11:04 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh....sorry.
People have difficulty admitting they are wrong.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:10 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's why I think it was wrong.. they should have put the plane on a conveyor belt [and FYI a long thing of frabric is not a conveyor belt] and allowed the PLANE to power it

By using a tread mill, etc, they've got two variables, the plane should have been on a free spinning conveyor belt, allowing it to spin the conveyor belt as fast as they wanted. By throttling up to full speed they were overcoming the power from the tread mill [in the small test]

I don't think it was accurate, they should have done it the way I SEYZ!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

What they should have done is shown footage of planes taking off on water to illustrate the fact that wheels have nothing to do with a plane moving.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Team Owner

just
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM
fhwagads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was right, I am Smart! S-M-R-T! haha!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

man...its like no one listened to what he said about the free flowing wheels....the wheels have nothing to do with it meaning whats under the wheel is really useless...and i think people are having a hard time thinking that way...

and for those who say they should use a conveyer belt...thats just stupid...where the hell are they going to get a huge ass conveyer belt to test this out...it is myth busters not us air force...

and for the comment of y dont we have shorter runways...the answer is...sometimes planes dont take off and for survival purposes the runways are made longer to give the plane a chance to slow down...but everyone should remember when riding in a plane you never go down the whole run way...you dont really start doing anything till the engine starts and you feel yourself being PUSHED not Pulled as a car would do...going down the runway...

people are mad cuz its busted...get over it...your not as smart as you thought you were...now to convince my roomate....HAHAHAHAHA...i knew i was right...i love myth busters...smash lab on the other hand sucks big bollas
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Timmahh
Here's why I think it was wrong.. they should have put the plane on a conveyor belt [and FYI a long thing of frabric is not a conveyor belt] and allowed the PLANE to power it

By using a tread mill, etc, they've got two variables, the plane should have been on a free spinning conveyor belt, allowing it to spin the conveyor belt as fast as they wanted. By throttling up to full speed they were overcoming the power from the tread mill [in the small test]

How would the plane "power" the treadmill? The plane doesn't have power to the wheels. Anyone who posted this sort of thing before = dumb. Anyone who posts this sort of thing now = dumb x50.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Your timing on this is perfect. Right after the posts about people still not believing. Actually, "understanding" would be a better way to describe their confusion.

Timmahh - Please explain to me how you would have the plane power the conveyor belt.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Drifting

at least water-s refrains from posting in threads this far above his IQ...

oh....sorry.
it's so true... some people are from the shallow end of the gene pool
Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

and allowed the PLANE to power it
Damn, I must have missed that.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 AM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Explanation for the simple minded...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S377HwOthjo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S377HwOthjo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Go Giants

Is the result online?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,968 Likes on 5,137 Posts
Originally Posted by Smalls
wasn't is srika and I who had to talk you into changing your mind?

blimey!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

oh....sorry.
I'm gonna be honest with you. This is the way I felt after watching the video. I felt they didn't go AS FAR as they needed to to COMPLETELY prove it. The plane got off the ground rather quickly. See, I think ultimately this would have to be done with a commercial airliner. The outcome would be the same - but - it would have more impact than what they did here. Watching this just seemed so uneventful.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by srika
I'm gonna be honest with you. This is the way I felt after watching the video. I felt they didn't go AS FAR as they needed to to COMPLETELY prove it. The plane got off the ground rather quickly. See, I think ultimately this would have to be done with a commercial airliner. The outcome would be the same - but - it would have more impact than what they did here. Watching this just seemed so uneventful.
this is true, but getting a big plane like that is near impossible, they couldn't get a plane to use for the myth about a jet engine flipping a car due to insurance reasons... the plane wasn't even going to move there... I don't think they'd take a chance on something like this (even though we all know it's probably 99.99999% safe)...

also think of what kind of conveyor you'd need to move a commercial airliner...

a plane is a plane they all fly based on the same rules, an ultralight just needs less lift to get off the ground, hence smaller wings, smaller engine etc... still a plane

I agree though that it wasn't very 'sensational' but I don't think it would've been feasible for them to make it so.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

I see what your getting at but at the same time...the amount of effort and money to use a commercial airliner would of been ridicoulus...and also for the simple fact...how many scales or demonstrations or variables would they have to do for people to admit to being wrong...

they did a small plane on the conveyor belt...took off...
they then did it on a large peice of fabric like a conveyor belt...took off...
then with a real plane (not commercial but still real) on a tarp being pulled by a truck...and it still took off...3 times is a charm for me...after that its just turning the blade....ooooooooo
Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^ yea.. i know.. im just sayin.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

props to them for addressing it tho.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Drifting

props to them for addressing it tho.
and despite all the flack they knew they would receive about this one...
Old 01-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Drifting

LMAO if you want a real headache go check out those discovery forums... oh man some real winners on there
Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^^ yea.. i know.. im just sayin.
lol...at least your one to admit to being beat...so your cool anyway...

but the 99% of people on the discovery board complaining...i have only two words for you

COME ONNNNNNN!!!!!.....lol...love that episode...
Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by WILLDOGS
Explanation for the simple minded...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S377HwOthjo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S377HwOthjo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Well done, but I think they needed to use puppets to get through to some people.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcUrAge703
lol...at least your one to admit to being beat...so your cool anyway...

but the 99% of people on the discovery board complaining...i have only two words for you

COME ONNNNNNN!!!!!.....lol...love that episode...
uhh.. i was on the "right" side from the start..

my first posts in this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&page=24&pp=25
Old 01-31-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by cibs
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IbRcg3ji_Pc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IbRcg3ji_Pc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
"A very surprised Mark Johnson takes off in his airplane"??

If this guy is surprised he should have his pilot's license revoked. He should know that the ONLY thing that matters in making the airplane fly is that there's enough air passing across the wings. As long as the engine has enough power to overcome the conveyor belt moving backwards + giving the plane enough speed to take off (i.e. the engine has to work twice as hard) then it will fly.

What's the big freakin' deal people? How much money did they spend doing this anyway? They could have fed an entire African village instead I'm sure.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Go Giants

I don't think the engine is working twice as hard.....
Old 01-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Secret Agent

The messages from actual pilots that still don't believe this scare me. And people asked me why I wanted to be a aircraft mechanic instead of a pilot. This lends significance to my argument that it doesn't take any brains to be a pilot.

Some of the best comments I came across on the Discovery board:

If you stand on a treadmill wearing roller skates while holding on to a rope you will remain stationary. Start pulling on the rope and you move. Pulling = engine thrust, and thus air will pass over the wings and produce lift. Its pretty simple. A harder problem for me to solve is how to kill people through the internet, which after reading some of these comments sounds highly attractive.
This is the one that got me worried:
He even left his name.

As a dedicated mythbusters fan who loves your show, I’m here to tell you that your airplane on the conveyor belt is busted. Here’s why: To get an airplane to fly depends on aerodynamic forces produced by airflow over the wing. If there is no airflow, there will be no lift produced and the airplane will not get airborne. If there is no wind then the plane must move relative to the surface of the earth in order to produce airflow over the wing and thereby lift. This is the propeller’s job, to get the airplane moving relative to the surface of the earth. In your experiment the plane was moving relative to the surface of the earth and thus producing airflow over the wing and enough lift to get it airborne. If the experiment had been true, with the belt and the plane “moving” at the same speed, then the plane would not move relative to the earth and no airflow would be produced over the wing.
The problem was that your belt was not fully supporting the airplane. The weight of the plane was transferred through the belt to the earth’s surface. This achieved sufficient friction with the earth to allow the airplane to accelerate relative to the belt and the earth. Your dedicated viewer,
Chip Lancaster, MS Aeronautical Engineering
37 years of pilot experience
, San Diego, CA
Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

I don't think the outcome would change but it seems like it would have been better if they did it the way I mentioned previously.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:54 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

MS Aeronautical Engineering = Microsoft Employee ?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

uhh.. i was on the "right" side from the start..

my first posts in this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&page=24&pp=25
u must know im not even gonna go read through that thread...but i will take your word for it...
Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MS Aeronautical Engineering = Microsoft Employee ?

Master of Science
Old 01-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ankur914
Master of Science
and this is why red text is needed...lol....but you've must of known..
Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Back in a TL again.

Originally Posted by wstevens
Where is that fucking piece of crap douche bag that always signs his stupid fucking piece of garbage name ("Mike") at the end of every one of his moronic posts?

That fucking engineer-wannabe retard is a danger to society and should be dragged behind a truck until all of his limbs fall off. Then, a bunch of smarmy, homeless Mexicans should pounce on his bloody, limbless torso, gouge his eyes out, and gang bang his near-empty skull until they collectively blow their loads all over his tiny pea brain.

Also, his parents should be killed for conceiving him.

Back in a TL again.

oh....sorry.

it's me, Alan Rickman.

it'd be funny if he got the MS Aeronautical Engineer certificate from MS Flight Simulator
Old 01-31-2008, 01:07 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
:airspeed:
Old 01-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AcUrAge703
u must know im not even gonna go read through that thread...but i will take your word for it...
it's just one page of this thread, dawg. do you read slow?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Secret Agent

I was just discussing the fact that some people still don't believe this with my brother. His analogy was hysterical.

That's like saying if you're riding in a train and you jump up into the air, you'll go flying backwards.

Quick Reply: Will the Plane Take-Off - Merged with MythBusters Show Thread