http://dsc.discovery.com/video/?play...eId=1347908538
Old 12-17-2007, 09:09 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
suite!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:47 PM
You want me to break it?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
Every variant of the original riddle says or implies that the treadmill matches the speed of the PLANE, not the PLANES WHEELS. IE: Matches the speed of the fuselage. If this is the case, then the plane flies 100% normally. If, however, the treadmill matches the rotational speed of the wheels (ground speed of the plane as indicated by wheel rotation), then yes the question is broken.

I HIGHLY suspect that the riddle was/is worded to get people thinking about a planes' method of thrust and of how a conveyor wouldn't affect that method, and was not worded in order to make it impossible to answer. AFAIK, there are no riddles without answers, and no riddles where the answer is "the riddle is broken by nature of its question".
Dom, Dan, and Srika - read the above comment and help yourselves to a great big helping of stfu. Or, re read my last post where I tried to clarify my stance which curls probably did a better job of than me, admittedly. But I prefer the stfu option.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:04 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts
I forget who's argument is what... why can't we have a open poll on this?!?!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Is it snowing in Hell?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,342 Likes on 5,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Gpump
Dom, Dan, and Srika - read the above comment and help yourselves to a great big helping of stfu. Or, re read my last post where I tried to clarify my stance which curls probably did a better job of than me, admittedly. But I prefer the stfu option.
I'll wait to see the Mythbusters show - if I'm proven wrong there, then, I shall "stfu".
Old 12-23-2007, 01:07 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
PREVIEW:

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i252.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/werdy1234567/tradmill.flv"></embed>
Old 12-23-2007, 01:15 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts

so, when's the open poll gonna be put up? That thing ain't going anywhere
Old 12-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,765 Likes on 804 Posts
can't wait. I can't believe this is being discussed so heavily on the internet.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
I hope they do it right....
Old 12-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, 2000' of tarp... ingenious!! Can't wait!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
I don't think that pick up truck could pull a 2000ft tarp in the opposite direction at that planes take off speed.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
It could tow/pull 10,000lbs, I think it should be able to get that tarp to move..
Old 12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Unofficial Goat

2000ft tarp + coefficient of friction with the ground is certainly greater than 10,000lbs.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by The Dougler
2000ft tarp + coefficient of friction with the ground is certainly greater than 10,000lbs.
hmm... let's argue about it.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
Old 12-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Unofficial Goat

Well we got nothing better to do until Jan 30.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i cannot beleive that there are 30 pages of this thread. there IS no argument here. there is no way in a hell a plane can take off from a standstill unless it is a harrier type plane with engines that can fire downward or those helicopter adjustable wings.

how anyone can actually beleive a plane will take off from a standstill just because the wheels are spinning quickly underneath it is beyond all reasonable comprehension. I didnt think so many people...many grown adults no less...could have such a limited or flat out LACK of any understanding of physics.

plane needs air moving rapidly under the wings to take off....simple concept people....
Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BubbaMarkTL
i cannot beleive that there are 30 pages of this thread. there IS no argument here. there is no way in a hell a plane can take off from a standstill unless it is a harrier type plane with engines that can fire downward or those helicopter adjustable wings.

how anyone can actually beleive a plane will take off from a standstill just because the wheels are spinning quickly underneath it is beyond all reasonable comprehension. I didnt think so many people...many grown adults no less...could have such a limited or flat out LACK of any understanding of physics.

plane needs air moving rapidly under the wings to take off....simple concept people....
the plane will indeed take off from a conveyor belt. the plane is not propelled by powered wheels, but jet engines. the wheels are free-rolling and have no effect on the plane's forward motion other than keeping it off the ground.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the plane DOES take off because the propeller pushes off the air which is independent of the wheels touching the conveyor belt. this was a problem given in my engineering classes at penn state back when i got my BS, and the plane definitely, 100%, follows laws of physics and it does take off.

you are missing a vital part of the equation. the plane prop pushes off the air, not the wheels like a car engine. so the conveyor can be moving in the opposite direction at a million miles per hour, and the plane propeller will STILL push off the air, not the conveyor, and push the plane forward. note friction was removed from that equation for simplicity. so i'm not sure what physics you are quoting, but its wrong.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:24 PM
You want me to break it?

The confusion/assumption was in the wording of the question. Myself and others took took "moving in the opposite direction at the same speed" to mean the speed of the wheels, not the fuselage. For it to take off the wheels, while in contact with the conveyor belt, will by definition be moving x mph faster than the belt regardless of where the propulsion comes from. Again, see curls explanation. You won a reading comprehension contest - I lost.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DRM600
the plane will indeed take off from a conveyor belt. the plane is not propelled by powered wheels, but jet engines. the wheels are free-rolling and have no effect on the plane's forward motion other than keeping it off the ground.

youre right....the wheels have nothing to do with it....

but what you are missing is that the jet engines or propellers are merely providing enough power to match the speed of the conveyor belt in reverse....so the plane goes absolutely nowhere and certainly not up into the air....sorry the plane will not take off.

if a plane's takeoff speed is 150 mph then in order to take off, the jet engines would have to be providing enough thrust to make the plane go 300 mph in order to make up for the reverse 150 mph (again, the conveyor is matching the planes take off speed in reverse) and than an additional 150 mph to make the plane actually move forward in spite of the reverse conveyor.

if your conveyor is going 150 mph in reverse and your engines are providing enough power to get the plane to move forward at 150 mph, it cancels itself out, thus the fuselage (and the entire plane) goes nowhere and most certainly does not take off

Last edited by BubbaMarkTL; 01-23-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Drifting

the conveyor belt and the plane will be moving independently in opposite directions. the only way the conveyor will affect the plane is that it will cause the wheels to rotate faster than the plane is traveling.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We beat the shit out of this theory. The wheels will be spinning twice as fast as normal as the plane will be moving the same speed in one direction as the treadmill is in the other.

Mike
Old 01-23-2008, 09:40 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

youre right....the wheels have nothing to do with it....

but what you are missing is that the jet engines or propellers are merely providing enough power to match the speed of the conveyor belt in reverse....so the plane goes absolutely nowhere and certainly not up into the air....sorry the plane will not take off.

if a plane's takeoff speed is 150 mph then in order to take off, the jet engines would have to be providing enough thrust to make the plane go 300 mph in order to make up for the reverse 150 mph (again, the conveyor is matching the planes take off speed in reverse) and than an additional 150 mph to make the plane actually move forward in spite of the reverse conveyor.

if your conveyor is going 150 mph in reverse and your engines are providing enough power to get the plane to move forward at 150 mph, it cancels itself out, thus the fuselage (and the entire plane) goes nowhere and most certainly does not take off
you guys have to get the conveyor and wheel speed out of your head. it doesnt matter if the conveyor was moving backward at a billion miles per hour, the thrust from the jet engine STILL makes the plane move forward. there are no canceling speeds or forces involved here.

think of it this way. at 0mph nothing is moving. engine starts, plane moves forward at 1mph, so the conveyor moves backward at 1mph. but the plane is still moving forward at 1mph, with the wheels now spinning at 2 mph total. 1mph for the conveyor, and 1mph for the forward motion from the jet engine. increase these numbers to any amount, 150mph, 1000mph, whatever. the plane always takes off, and the wheel speed is always spinning twice the speed of total plane speed.
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
at this thread
Racer

in order to set up such an experiment you need the plane to be on the conveyor and the conveyor to be stopped. then you need to start the conveyor and get the conveyor up to the take off speed of the plane...in reverse of course.

big problem though, the plane would just move backward and fly off the end of the treadmill...SO you need some sort of "pin" or something holding the plane stationary while the conveyor is getting up to speed. at this point the wheels on the plane are going at exactly the takeoff speed of the plane and the conveyor is doing the same, only in the opposite direction, and the plane is going nowhere. The only thing keeping the plane from going backwards is some sort of pin or barrier...again, at this point, there is still no engine engaged on the plane.

now with the pin still in place, you have to start the engine and bring it up to enough power to cause the plane to take off under normal conditions. at this point you could pull the pin and the plane would go nowhere...

the engine would merely be producing enough power to keep the plane stationary on the treadmill without the need for a pin or barrier behind it to keep it in place...nothing more.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

ok i'm not gonna keep replying. but your logic is not factoring in the crucial part. you're just not seeing it. its a proven mind twister, and the plane always takes off with wheels spinning twice the conveyor speed. google it and find the explanation.

your pin holding example is perfect. engines off, pin holding the plan in place with conveyor moving backward. now fire up the engines. the engines push off the air and move the plane forward. hell, the wheels can be replaced with blocks of ice, and the plane will still take off. air thrust moves the plane forward regardless of what the wheels are doing because there is no mechanical link between the wheels and jet engine. the jet engine will always, always always push off the air and move the plane forward. every time. no way around it. you are still thinking that the plane pushes off the wheels, which is why you are not seeing the solution. the wheels just keep the plane from resting on its belly, thats it. they dont do any pushing or force involved from the wheels. its all the jet engine air power doing the work.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 PM
F1 cart racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this thread = dead horse.....and it keeps getting hit with a stick

and that truck is a 5.7 tundra, look it up on youtube and it vs a f150, 2500, and something else. you wanna see something pull. and all those commercials of the tundra are real. i've driven the truck and you can smoke the tires through the gears, it is powerful.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator

someone shoot me
Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Unofficial Goat

someone shoot me

only 7 more days till the episode airs.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Racer

Heres a question....the answer should prove that a plane CAN take off..........

can a plane LAND normally on a treadmill that is moving at the same speed in the reverse direction as the plane?

And by same speed, I mean (and assuming with numbers here...) if the planes approach is 150mph, the treadmill is moving at 150mph at landing, and as the plane brakes, the treadmill's speed will decrease....or actually it doesn't even matter, because either way the plane WILL take off, and land.

The plane will even take off, if say, as soon as it got into motion, this gay theoretical treadmill started going at a constant 600mph
Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by salvo24
Heres a question....the answer should prove that a plane CAN take off..........

can a plane LAND normally on a treadmill that is moving at the same speed in the reverse direction as the plane?

And by same speed, I mean (and assuming with numbers here...) if the planes approach is 150mph, the treadmill is moving at 150mph at landing, and as the plane brakes, the treadmill's speed will decrease....or actually it doesn't even matter, because either way the plane WILL take off, and land.

The plane will even take off, if say, as soon as it got into motion, this gay theoretical treadmill started going at a constant 600mph
Not possible, the treadmill will prevent the plane from taking off because it's moving proportionally in the opposite direction trust me I'm a Dr. of Physics from MIT and I fly planes for American Airlines.You can not dispute this so stop talking.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:08 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

i'm just reading back thru pages 18-21, and holy crap i wanna bash things. its so frustrating hearing the same thing over and over. the plane takes off, identical to how it would on a normal runway. it still has to travel a couple thousand feet down the runway, all the while this conveyor underneath spinning opposite direction. but the thrust still pushes the plane 2500 feet down the runway until it reaches lift speed and takes off.

someone said it best. notice how people are changing their minds from "wont take off, to yes it will" but nobody is switching the other way, nobody is going from "yes it will fly, to no it wont." wonder why.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Racer

Well the common sense of a kid who is about to get a B.S. at FSU shows that the wheels of a plane are free spinning, so the thrust caused from the engines pushes the fuselage, which in turn, the wheels just spin to carry it. I can see how the plane would need extra engine power, as the wheels will move twice as fast (speed of the plane plus the opposite force of the treadmill) which in turn will create more friction.

Other examples:

if a plane could just randomly hover over the ground no wheels, turn on the engine, plane would move forward...right? Harrier and the new JSF....hover planes, thrust against the ground pushes it up....the engines create foward thrust pushing it forward, wheels make no difference

Lastly, ever see a video of a plane taking off from an aircraft carrier? If it doesn't get enough speed, it dips off the deck, and as it gets enough thrust, it flies up, clearly showing, the engines create the forward motion of the plane, not the wheels

put a car on a treadmill, yes, it will not move.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Racer

Forgot to add this...

Originally Posted by salvo24
Well the common sense of a kid who is about to get a B.S. at FSU and has flown a Cessna once shows that the wheels of a plane are free spinning, so the thrust caused from the engines pushes the fuselage, which in turn, the wheels just spin to carry it. I can see how the plane would need extra engine power, as the wheels will move twice as fast (speed of the plane plus the opposite force of the treadmill) which in turn will create more friction.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

I admit to being wrong... it will take off... with one exception...

The wheels will be spinning freely but either way the treadmill will have to be of great length so that the plane can actually pull on the wind long enough to create lift from under the wings... the wheels will be spinning twice as fast as the plane pulling on the wind because the treadmill will be moving in the opposite direction... but for how long will it have to pull on the wind to creat lift to actually take off??? Will the treadmill be blown up in scale without making it longer then it really is, just like if you shrunk a plane...

The problem here would be the length of the treadmill... that would determine the take off or no take off...

Last edited by spooky3ce; 01-23-2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: credit for my change of mind goes to crazymjb...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:30 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

the length of the treadmill doesnt matter. the plane will take off in exactly the same distance that it would on a normal runway. 2 scenarios, first a regular runway and regular plane. takes off in 2500 ft. now the moving conveyor runway. plane still takes off in 2500 ft. no difference.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Mythbusters teaser for the new episode

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KSBFQOfas60&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KSBFQOfas60&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
POST #727 on the page right before this

Last edited by 6MTUA5; 01-24-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Will the Plane Take-Off - Merged with MythBusters Show Thread