Acura vs. Infiniti (vs. Lexus...)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura vs. Infiniti (vs. Lexus...)

My wife has always hate filling up gasoline (hence her lovely Civic Hybrid with Navy ;-)

However, with 2 growing kids, the space inside the Hybrid feels like shrinking on a daily basis.
So now, I'm looking around for SUV deals for her as well:
Don't want to get another Acura, so, the choices are either Infiniti or Lexus (cannot afford German's unreliability issues).

So far, she's loving the RX450h, mainly because of its 32/28 MPGs.
However, for those who has seen the inside, I CAN'T stand its interior layout (especially its curvy middle stack - what up with that???) and the facts that thousands RXs are swarming on the road (well, especially here in TEXAS).

The new GX is hideous, LX is too expensive (and 12/18 MPG? Good luck)

I want her to drive the Infiniti EX (Not a fan of FX's angry fish eyes)
but I was surprise to see that the MPG on that tiny SUV is 17/24???

What the heck??? ZDX has 17/23 (and so far, been getting the average about 21 combined = about 420 miles per full tank)

My friend told me that Nissan/Infiniti has always have lower MPG vehicles.
They always focus more on performance instead of mileage.

Is this true?
Share some inputs (and ideas) if you have some...

Cheers from Texas Heat!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 80 Posts
Well, I don't know why you don't want another Acura. Between the RDX, MDX, and ZDX I would think you could find something that fits the bill.

You've already gone through the Lexus lineup of sport-utes. I had a Lexus prior to my ZDX and really love the quality and customer service that Lexus provides. But I had the same reaction as you to their current line-up.

Infiniti has never interested me. From the signature analog clock to the haughty dealership sales staff, everything about their vehicles just turns me off. And if the FX and EX don't do it for you, then there you are.

Again, why not another Acura?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
lexus equals boring to drive like a floaty boat, infiniti equals gas guzzler and to over price especially for the ex mini crossover plus their interiors are plain and boring. since you dont want another acura i would give the audi q5 a shot its in the same price range and better looking than those 2 but their reliability sucks.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
Again, why not another Acura?
Well,
We actually would like to have the MDX.

Before the ZDX, we have the Honda Pilot, and my goodness...
That car was built like a rock!!

For the 5 years we own it, it had not even a SINGLE problem...
Just change oil and fill up the gas!
We took it almost everywhere: Houston, Austin, even Colorado mountains.

But I know that the MDX will be completely redesign next year.
So, perhaps the best solution for us is to wait till then...
(only in about a year, correct?)

Thanks again!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 07wdptl-s
lexus equals boring to drive like a floaty boat, infiniti equals gas guzzler and to over price especially for the ex mini crossover plus their interiors are plain and boring. since you dont want another acura i would give the audi q5 a shot its in the same price range and better looking than those 2 but their reliability sucks.
Yeah,
The only reason for Lexus is only for their 'reliability'
But you probably die due to boreness driving it.
No excitement AT ALL!!

I realize that (pretty much) all Infiniti's interior look the same. I think the EX share it with FX and G. M sedan looks pretty cool, but its because it has a 20" wheels. Without it, goodness gracious... It looks so lame...

I've always wanted an Audi (compare to BMW or MB).
IMHO, their interior is awesome, and I'm loving their A5 (almost pull the trigger) and when I test drove A7, I was sold...
My wife likes the Q5 as well,
But I always hear horror stories about their horrible reliability AND customer service relationship...

Have you had/know personal experience with Audis...?
Thanks again,
Old 08-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
I feel the same way about Lexus, a bit boring for me. I have owned a 2000 Audi TT and a 2004 BMW M3. I love European cars if they have a warranty I think Audi makes a great car, and BMW is what they claim "Ultimate driving machine" but I always crawl back to Acura for the reliability and great resale value. Resale value always scares me when looking at Audi or BMW, really important if you’re buying new too. I would wait to see what the new MDX is going to be like. This is Acura's best seller so hopefully it will be as good as the current model.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mugen_kid
I have owned a 2000 Audi TT and a 2004 BMW M3. I love European cars if they have a warranty I think Audi makes a great car, and BMW is what they claim "Ultimate driving machine" but I always crawl back to Acura for the reliability and great resale value.
When you own those (were they new?), did you have any problems/issues (big or small)?

Some people think that it is acceptable (worth it) if the issues are small enough or when it is covered by the warranty.

For me, having to go to a dealership/shop to fix any issues (even when it is free/covered by warranty) is quite a hassle.
I'd rather stay home with my wife and kids ;-)

Actually, among the german trio (Audi, BMW, MB), anybody know which one has the worst reliability?
Hopefully though (especially these MODERN days), their reliability have improved.
For Acura/Honda (or most Japanese), you just drive these, park in garage, in the morning, you can rely that these autos will turn on and take you places.

Sounds like a simple idea, yet, European cars just don't seem to grasp this idea...

Cheers!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I'd do some serious research on the Deutsch-mobiles before dropping 40-50K on one. For awhile the Audi Q7 was rated the least reliable luxury vehicle. A friend has had nightmare problems ($3K repair bill) on his Audi. And do an internet search on the BMW turbo motor high pressure fuel pump issues. They all scare me to be honest. I'd stick with the Japanese.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZZZZZDX_White
Yeah,
The only reason for Lexus is only for their 'reliability'
But you probably die due to boreness driving it.
No excitement AT ALL!!

I realize that (pretty much) all Infiniti's interior look the same. I think the EX share it with FX and G. M sedan looks pretty cool, but its because it has a 20" wheels. Without it, goodness gracious... It looks so lame...

I've always wanted an Audi (compare to BMW or MB).
IMHO, their interior is awesome, and I'm loving their A5 (almost pull the trigger) and when I test drove A7, I was sold...
My wife likes the Q5 as well,
But I always hear horror stories about their horrible reliability AND customer service relationship...

Have you had/know personal experience with Audis...?
Thanks again,
i traded in my 2009 audi a4 with 6500 on the odometer for an 2010 tsx tech. the car drives very nice and firm with quattro whats there not to like.... well first off after putting 2000 miles on the car the transmission needed to be reflashed to fix a sticky second gear problem. the second issue was steering wheel shimmies turns out there was a tsb out for replacing the front lower control arms after i got that fix the transmission issue came back again the car would not shift out of second gear had to put the car in sport mode and than back to d mode for it to shift to 3rd gear. long story short after 5 return visit to the dealership i had enough, i drove it for another couple of months and decided to go back to acura. they did a straight trade for a 2010 tsx tech for my premium plus a4 no navi.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
I did not buy those cars new. Actually I only owned them about 5-6 months then went back to Acura/Hondas because I missed them for some reason. I told myself I will only buy a European vehicle if I have all kinds of cash blow. I just dont trust them like I do Honda, to each their own
Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Yeah...
I guess I'll just play it safe and stick with Japanese cars (especially Acura/Honda).
Like I said, I'd rather enjoy this life and my wife and kids than unnecessarily hassled by unreliable automobiles... no matter how cool it is.

Maybe one day when I'm a millionaire (with Butler, Maids, Drivers ;-), if some of my cars have troubles, I'd just send my driver to fix and wait at the dealerships...

Thanks for all the info, All!
Cheers from TX Heat!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by 07wdptl-s
i traded in my 2009 audi a4 with 6500 on the odometer for an 2010 tsx tech. the car drives very nice and firm with quattro whats there not to like.... well first off after putting 2000 miles on the car the transmission needed to be reflashed to fix a sticky second gear problem. the second issue was steering wheel shimmies turns out there was a tsb out for replacing the front lower control arms after i got that fix the transmission issue came back again the car would not shift out of second gear had to put the car in sport mode and than back to d mode for it to shift to 3rd gear. long story short after 5 return visit to the dealership i had enough, i drove it for another couple of months and decided to go back to acura. they did a straight trade for a 2010 tsx tech for my premium plus a4 no navi.
Be glad you got out of your A4 before the fuel pump/cam follower took a dump, requiring replacement of your camshaft and other assorted pieces. A very common problem on the 2.0T VW engines.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Some people think that it is acceptable (worth it) if the issues are small enough or when it is covered by the warranty.

For me, having to go to a dealership/shop to fix any issues (even when it is free/covered by warranty) is quite a hassle.
This is exactly right, and something that those people completely miss in this analysis. I had a brand new M Roadster that was indeed a blast to drive, except that it was in the shop, on average over three years of leasing, more than once per month. I won't bore you with all the details, but I had problems with everything on that car and will never drive another BMW again.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Be glad you got out of your A4 before the fuel pump/cam follower took a dump, requiring replacement of your camshaft and other assorted pieces. A very common problem on the 2.0T VW engines.
i also heard they are having water pump issues too almost all 09 's to 11's they are all made of plastic if and only when they break is when the dealer will replace them with a aluminum one.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive owned a Mazda, 2 Acura's, 2 VW's, and an Infiniti. My top choice would be an MDX followed by a Lexus RX. I had the same opinion on the RX before but then my girlriend got a 2010 RX350. The interior styling has grown on me and while it is somewhat boring to drive it is better than the last generation RX. Plus how much more boring can it be than a Civic hybrid? The Lexus also has great reliablity and customer service. When it comes to Infiniti, you for sure get the performance but the interior quality doesnt seem up to par with the Acura and Lexus IMO. For me it would be a MDX or RX450h and the biggest deal breaker would be MPG.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Instructor

^^^ Well, IMO, Toyota/Lexus interiors are just horrible:
GX470 (Even the new GX460 - ripoff from 4Runner), ES (SUPER Yuck!!), GS (Has not been updated since 2006). IS, LS and LX has pretty much the same interior (not great)
(Although, please don't mention the LFA)

So, for the same boredom, between RX450h (bigger space, but maddening 'curvy center stack' interior) vs Civic (Less than half the price - already paid off too (;-), Better Interior + Better Gas Mileage with Unleaded Gas), we'll stick with the latter.

Can't wait to see what the next MDX will look like!!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
This is exactly right, and something that those people completely miss in this analysis. I had a brand new M Roadster that was indeed a blast to drive, except that it was in the shop, on average over three years of leasing, more than once per month. I won't bore you with all the details, but I had problems with everything on that car and will never drive another BMW again.
Thanks for sharing, DJ.
I do love the way BMW drives as well... but it's certainly not worth the hassle.

Reading more above, I assume AUDIs have WORSE problems and reliability...
*sigh* Too bad... They are so good looking!!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:31 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used merc. G500 that's what my wife likes.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jon1993
Used merc. G500 that's what my wife likes.
LOL...
Does she know how much gas that behemoth drinks?

Also, it has not been updated for how long... over 10 years...?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Also, it has not been updated for how long... over 10 years...?
Based on how it looks, I'd say more like 50 years.