Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

RSX 80K Mile Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RSX 80K Mile Report

I purchased a new 2002 RSX about 10 years ago. I don't drive it everyday. But over time, before I know it, it has been 10 years and 80,000 miles on the odometer.

I drive mostly local in NYC. Average about 22 MPG. The car has been driven to Toronto Canada twice. I managed to get about 35+ MPG on those trips. Great gas mileage!

Giving a choice, I will stay away from buying any more 1st year car model. In other word, my RSX has not been reliable as I would like it to be. I had to replace all the struts before 60K miles. Replaced O2 sensor. Replaced alternator twice!! A sway bar link was broken so I had to replace that also. And now, the SRS light is on. My mechanic cannot fix this because he does not have the equipment. So the only choice is to have this fixed at an Acura dealer. In additional, the air condition compressor is starting to make louder noise as it age.

The seal on the moon roof is starting to decay. So are the rubber trims on the windows. I'll take pictures are post here when I get a chance.

I'm on 3rd pair of front brake pads. The rear brake pads lasted a little longer....still on the 2nd pair and I guess it will last for another few thousand miles.

Power is adequate for a 4 cylinder car and is more fun to drive than a 2010 Civic. However, I sometimes (when the wife is not in the car) find myself pushing it to the limit.

I'm hoping this car will last until my next report at 100K miles...maybe 3 years later.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow, 3 sets of front brakes already? I'm still on my original front pads, in my 2003, with 86,000 miles on it. I replaced the rear pads at around 70,000. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. It's been a very reliable car so far. I did replace the blower fan power transistor last summer, but other than that, it has been trouble free.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Intermediate

3rd sets at 80,000 miles is not too bad driving in NYC. Brake pads on my other cars wear out much faster.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Acura Fanboy

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I bought my '02 Type-S new and am approaching 80K miles on it. My brakes are still original and I have had no problems with the car with the exception of the common transmission issues. Changing to an aftermarket manual transmission fluid corrected the problem. I did have an issue with the sunroof rubber deforming, but found it was the frame rusting beneath the rubber. I purchased a used sunroof assembly that had no rust and replaced it myself. I get 24-25 MPG in town and up to 37 MPG on the highway. I hope to keep this car for another 10 years.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Just made me miss my 05 type s...hit 76k miles in 2.5 years!

Now that I jumped down to an 04 TL, I totally concur on the 1st year models. NEVER again.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by knavekid
I bought my '02 Type-S new and am approaching 80K miles on it. My brakes are still original and I have had no problems with the car with the exception of the common transmission issues. Changing to an aftermarket manual transmission fluid corrected the problem. I did have an issue with the sunroof rubber deforming, but found it was the frame rusting beneath the rubber. I purchased a used sunroof assembly that had no rust and replaced it myself. I get 24-25 MPG in town and up to 37 MPG on the highway. I hope to keep this car for another 10 years.
I was already impressed with my original pads that lasted over 40,000 miles. I mean how do you make it last until 80K miles?

What were the common transmission issues? I recall I had to change the transmission oil at around 30k miles.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Acura Fanboy

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
I was already impressed with my original pads that lasted over 40,000 miles. I mean how do you make it last until 80K miles?

What were the common transmission issues? I recall I had to change the transmission oil at around 30k miles.
I had a second gear grind that was repaired per a Technical Service Bulletin under warranty just before it expired. I then had the "third gear wall" where it just won't shift into third occasionally as it feels like it hits a hard stop. When it would do this, I could shift into another gear and then try again and it would usually shift fine. To fix this, I replaced the OEM manual transmission fluid with Amsoil Synchromesh MTF and the problem never happened again. Well, this is not completely true. I took the car to the dealer for scheduled maintenance and they put in OEM MTF. The third gear wall came back shortly after and had to replace it with the Amsoil again. I have read that Royal Purple MTF or GM Synchromesh MTF will also fix this problem.

As for the brakes, I'm not sure why they have held up so well. I drive the car daily and it sees mostly city driving. I don't get on the brakes hard too often, though, and I am conscious of their use. If I see a light turn red ahead, I immediately push in the clutch and coast. I usually use light pressure when I brake as I have already slowed by the time I need to use them.

While my struts were not worn out, I replaced them in 2010 when I upgraded with the A-Spec suspension kit. This kit includes struts and springs and was about $1000 installed at the dealer. This upgrade really improved the handling.

Other upgrades were the Hondata ECU reflash and Hardrace motor mounts. I am considering saving for a supercharger in the future.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

While my struts were not worn out, I replaced them in 2010 when I upgraded with the A-Spec suspension kit. This kit includes struts and springs and was about $1000 installed at the dealer. This upgrade really improved the handling.

Other upgrades were the Hondata ECU reflash and Hardrace motor mounts. I am considering saving for a supercharger in the future.
$1000 for the suspension upgrade pretty good.

The way my RSX is going, I'm not going to do any upgrades. I'll keep it as is. I drive my other car for more spirited driving.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 2003 base auto, so it may be a little different...

181XXX miles
So far, a throttle body (under warranty), an O2 sensor, and a SRS light (seat belt buckle, under warranty, lifetime) are all I had to fix.

I'm on 3rd set of brakes, but given mileage, it's okay. I'm on 4th set of tires though, changed January of this year.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Acura Fanboy

Originally Posted by wise_optimist

181XXX miles
So far, a throttle body (under warranty), an O2 sensor, and a SRS light (seat belt buckle, under warranty, lifetime) are all I had to fix.

I'm on 3rd set of brakes, but given mileage, it's okay. I'm on 4th set of tires though, changed January of this year.
With your mention of being on your 4th set of tires at 181K miles, I think I better understand why my original brakes have lasted 80K miles. I am also on my 4th set of tires! I guess my brakes haven't worn out because I don't slow down for corners. I am wearing out tires instead!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wise_optimist

181XXX miles

Pretty good. You have better luck than me. I guess 2002 is more buggy.

I'm on 3rd set of front tires. 2nd set for the rear. And I'm only at 80K miles.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:26 AM
I can divide by zero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Eh, you're not doing that bad. I'm on 3rd engine, I don't know how many sets of brakes I've gone through to date, 2nd transmission, 2nd set of engine mounts, 1 set of OE end links, 1 set of custom made heim joint end links, 2 set of wheels, countless sets of tires4 front bumpers, 2 rear bumpers, 1 radiator, 2 water pumps, 3 serpentine belts, 1 tensioner, 2 sets of suspension bushings, 1 set of rear camber kits (due to work out bushings), 1 set of A'pexi N1 coil overs (getting to the point where it's not worth servicing any more)... not sure if I'm missing anything, but you kinda get the jist. I guess I kinda forgot to mention that it's a race car.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah mine's my dd so I try to drive gently as I have about 85 miles to cover a day.

I forgot to mention I've replaced two wheels replaced due to mishaps. But mechanically, it has been very reliable.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a second gear grind that was repaired per a Technical Service Bulletin under warranty just before it expired. I then had the "third gear wall" where it just won't shift into third occasionally as it feels like it hits a hard stop. When it would do this, I could shift into another gear and then try again and it would usually shift fine. To fix this, I replaced the OEM manual transmission fluid with Amsoil Synchromesh MTF and the problem never happened again. Well, this is not completely true. I took the car to the dealer for scheduled maintenance and they put in OEM MTF. The third gear wall came back shortly after and had to replace it with the Amsoil again. I have read that Royal Purple MTF or GM Synchromesh MTF will also fix this problem.

As for the brakes, I'm not sure why they have held up so well. I drive the car daily and it sees mostly city driving. I don't get on the brakes hard too often, though, and I am conscious of their use. If I see a light turn red ahead, I immediately push in the clutch and coast. I usually use light pressure when I brake as I have already slowed by the time I need to use them.

I believe amsoil, penzoil and Gm Syncromesh are all the same oil, basically only label differs. Not sure about the royal purple one. I know the syncromesh works great in TL as well since it's what I'm using. I dont know about you, but it's been day and night for me.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
I purchased a new 2002 RSX about 10 years ago. I don't drive it everyday. But over time, before I know it, it has been 10 years and 80,000 miles on the odometer.

I drive mostly local in NYC. Average about 22 MPG. The car has been driven to Toronto Canada twice. I managed to get about 35+ MPG on those trips. Great gas mileage!

Giving a choice, I will stay away from buying any more 1st year car model. In other word, my RSX has not been reliable as I would like it to be. I had to replace all the struts before 60K miles. Replaced O2 sensor. Replaced alternator twice!! A sway bar link was broken so I had to replace that also. And now, the SRS light is on. My mechanic cannot fix this because he does not have the equipment. So the only choice is to have this fixed at an Acura dealer. In additional, the air condition compressor is starting to make louder noise as it age.

The seal on the moon roof is starting to decay. So are the rubber trims on the windows. I'll take pictures are post here when I get a chance.

I'm on 3rd pair of front brake pads. The rear brake pads lasted a little longer....still on the 2nd pair and I guess it will last for another few thousand miles.

Power is adequate for a 4 cylinder car and is more fun to drive than a 2010 Civic. However, I sometimes (when the wife is not in the car) find myself pushing it to the limit.

I'm hoping this car will last until my next report at 100K miles...maybe 3 years later.
Normal car issues here^. NYC car Brakes? Normal wear and tear. Blown strut after 7 years? Normal. Some struts are only good for 30,000 miles (see Mazda 3). Strut link? (see Mazda 3 again)

I think you got your money's worth and are still collecting.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Normal car issues here^. NYC car Brakes? Normal wear and tear. Blown strut after 7 years? Normal. Some struts are only good for 30,000 miles (see Mazda 3). Strut link? (see Mazda 3 again)

I think you got your money's worth and are still collecting.
I'm on my 3rd alternator. That is definitely not normal wear and tear.

Not complaining about the brake pads at all, I think it held up better than my other cars.

SRS light is typical of a RSX issue.

Decaying seals, this is my first car with this problem.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

I finally got a chance to take pictures. As I mentioned before, this is my first and only car with melting seals.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Acura Fanboy

That sunroof seal looks like mine was starting to in 2007. The rubber seal was not bad, but the frame was rusting beneath it. If you fold up the seal from the outside, I think you will find rust underneath it. Here are photos from mine:

I ended up buying an entire sunroof assembly used for $120 that I found on Ebay. I used only the sunroof, not the mechanism. It was rust-free and I waxed the metal frame before installing it to add some extra rust protection. The process to replace it was not too difficult:
  1. Open the sunroof only to the point it pops up fully but doesn't slide open.
  2. Remove three Allen head bolts on each side holding it on (the rear bolt is located slightly behind the open sunshade).
  3. Remove the sunroof by lifting it up from outside the car. Wear gloves if the car has been sitting in the sun or risk burning your hands!
  4. Put the new panel in place by lowering it onto the exposed frame.
  5. Install the 6 bolts but don't fully tighten them. They should only be finger tight so the panel can still shift on the frame with some force.
  6. Close the sunroof, causing the panel to align itself properly with the frame.
  7. Pop the sunroof back up (as before) and torque the Allen bolts. I didn't use a torque wrench. I tightened it similar to the torque required to remove them.
I have had no problems with the replacement sunroof.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Acura Fanboy

I forgot to add that my door window trim did the same thing. I sanded and painted mine and while it doesn't look perfect up close, it is much better than with the metal showing through.