Sound dampening

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 01:39 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound dampening

So I just got a new 2019 ilx! Loving it so far it’s such a cool car to commute in.

But as with all things in my life, I think there’s some room for improvement. The only fault I have with this car (and it’s impressive that I can only bitch about one thing) is the road noise! I’m not one for exaggerating but it’s among the worst I’ve heard. I gave the bottom trim on the outside a gentle kick and it sounded 100% hollow.

So I’d like to sound dampen the floor. I’m looking at the industry standard Dynamat extreme for the floor, doors, and the trunk. I can probably do the doors myself over a weekend, but the floor sounds like it would take a lot of work.

My question is, does anyone have access to a manual or video of how to tear down an ilx? I’m trying to see if I can do it or if I’d just leave that portion to an audio shop. I’d rather do it all myself and save a good chunk of cash and get the piece of mind that it was done with care, but im not above paying someone to do it.

Also l, share your thoughts on the road noise and possibly what you’ve done to reduce it. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2019, 08:16 AM
5th Gear

Wow really these boards are that dead lol
Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I don't have an ILX but doing have been installing car audio for approx 20 years now and what I can tell you is that you should apply to all 4 doors and then assess the difference. You may find the difference to be sufficient and stop there or you may decide to move forward with the floor. Having said that, anybody can figure out the doors with enough time and tools but I would recommend employing a professional to do the floor if you decide to go forward as this is going require more space and time. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:23 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Bchester6
I don't have an ILX but doing have been installing car audio for approx 20 years now and what I can tell you is that you should apply to all 4 doors and then assess the difference. You may find the difference to be sufficient and stop there or you may decide to move forward with the floor. Having said that, anybody can figure out the doors with enough time and tools but I would recommend employing a professional to do the floor if you decide to go forward as this is going require more space and time. Just my 2 cents though.

Thanks. I did lift the carpet a bit to see what sort of insulation the bottom has and to my surprise, it has absolutely nothing! it's just aluminum. There is a bit of insulation right under the pedals section but none under the seating position. I think I might just get the bottom done first instead. I just don't wanna waste more time or money doing the doors only to find out it didn't work.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts
Before you spend money on insulation you may want to disconnect or defeat the ANC. I found that the added noise to reduce perceived noise is bothersome.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DaIll1
Before you spend money on insulation you may want to disconnect or defeat the ANC. I found that the added noise to reduce perceived noise is bothersome.
that sounds like it might be useful. Do you have directions or a link on how I can disable it?

Thanks,
Old 01-23-2019, 12:01 PM
Burning Brakes

You can turn it off in the hu or unplug the connector above the glovebox. I pulled the connector so if reflashed for any reason it won't come back on.
Here is a link to help locate. A few screws and clips, but a one-time fix is good, and it makes stereo sound better.
https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-aud.../#post15956898
edit: for more details

Last edited by DaIll1; 01-23-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:23 AM
I can divide by zero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
See if you can find Z-Mat in your area. It's a hell of a lot cheaper and a lot easier to work with vs. Dynamat. I have 3 layers of Z-Mat in my Silverado (for the audio build) and have 1 layer in my Nomad project. It's a smaller company out here in So. Cal, but a good higher end car audio shop should have access or have something similar.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:31 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DaIll1
You can turn it off in the hu or unplug the connector above the glovebox. I pulled the connector so if reflashed for any reason it won't come back on.
Here is a link to help locate. A few screws and clips, but a one-time fix is good, and it makes stereo sound better.
https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-aud.../#post15956898
edit: for more details
Hey DaIll1, is the ANC connector in the same location behind the glove box on the 2016+ models? I'm guessing it is but just want to make sure before taking the glove box apart to do it. I have done it in the diagnostic menu and prefer it off but obviously doing it that way, I have to redo it each time I start the car which is getting annoying lol.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ILLX
Hey DaIll1, is the ANC connector in the same location behind the glove box on the 2016+ models? I'm guessing it is but just want to make sure before taking the glove box apart to do it. I have done it in the diagnostic menu and prefer it off but obviously doing it that way, I have to redo it each time I start the car which is getting annoying lol.
Yes, that's what I have and assume will stay that way (lay out wise) until at least the 2nd gen. body.
When it was on, it made me feel like I was in the back seat of an early VW bug with the front windows down, on the freeway. Sure, it helps keep the road noise down, without adding weight, loosing mpg, etc. etc. Let me hear the road. I sprayed the under side of the trunk with Boom Mat and put Floor and Tunnel Shield over that to keep the heat out from my exhaust, but It quieted quite well.

edit: You can actually go in thru a sub menu and turn it off, but if they reflash, it would be on again.

Last edited by DaIll1; 01-25-2019 at 09:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ILLX (01-28-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 11:54 PM
5th Gear

Quick update.

I decided to just sound dampen the wheel wells myself and see how what difference that makes. I got some Dynamat and Dynapad that I’ll be adding. I should have a lot of Dynamat left over so I’ll go ahead and do the trunk as well since it’s easiest. Depending on how this goes i may get the doors done professionally. I’ll post some updates when I get my stuff and install it.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mitch619
Quick update.

I decided to just sound dampen the wheel wells myself and see how what difference that makes. I got some Dynamat and Dynapad that I’ll be adding. I should have a lot of Dynamat left over so I’ll go ahead and do the trunk as well since it’s easiest. Depending on how this goes i may get the doors done professionally. I’ll post some updates when I get my stuff and install it.
Hi, so whatever happened to that update?

I'm thinking of entirely buying a new set of tires just to make her quieter. Did it make any difference in your case?