Quality Control Issues for the 2016 ILX

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 01:46 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quality Control Issues for the 2016 ILX

So, I have had my car about a month now, and I have noticed some things with the interior that have been bugging me and I am not sure what to do. The bezel just below my gauge cluster seems to have some markings on it, that look to be dings or blemishes. My guess is they happened when the car was assembled since they have been there from day 1. Another thing I noticed was a couple minor paint imperfections on my steering wheel buttons. There was a slight scuff on one of the buttons (Volume I believe) as well as a scratch/paint imperfection in the silver painted portion of the center of the wheel that goes around the airbag. Now, to some these may be minor issues that could be easily overlooked. But to me, being that I am OCD, I feel that Acura should replace these parts under warranty.

Only issue I can see is the price of the parts. The steering wheel piece looks to be over $700 bucks and I am not sure what Acura will do.

So what are your guys opinions? Do I have a right to be upset and have these parts replaced under warranty? I think I do, but I am always interested in other people's opinions.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:24 PM
Advanced

Damn nobody has any input? I took the car today to the dealer and they snapped photos of the damage. Pretty sure it will be covered under warranty.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah, up until you have warranty on the car, they should be able to fix the issues without making you pay, unless they start playing the blaming game where they believe you were the cause of the blemishes. It never hurts to try. I have noticed a big scratch on the plexy/plastic that covers the P,R,D,S letters by the shifter. This happened after I took my car it to get one of the door audio insulation fixed because my driver side door was vibrating very loud during music playback. They fixed that for me for free, but I didn't notice the scratch up until later, and I felt like it was too late to take it back and tell them they caused it. I do not ever put anything around my seats so I could not have scratched it, and I am very particular about how I clean my car to make sure I don't scratch anything.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by peti1212
Yeah, up until you have warranty on the car, they should be able to fix the issues without making you pay, unless they start playing the blaming game where they believe you were the cause of the blemishes. It never hurts to try. I have noticed a big scratch on the plexy/plastic that covers the P,R,D,S letters by the shifter. This happened after I took my car it to get one of the door audio insulation fixed because my driver side door was vibrating very loud during music playback. They fixed that for me for free, but I didn't notice the scratch up until later, and I felt like it was too late to take it back and tell them they caused it. I do not ever put anything around my seats so I could not have scratched it, and I am very particular about how I clean my car to make sure I don't scratch anything.
I am the same way. Also, the plexy/plastic that covers the P,R,D,S letters by the shifter in my vehicle had small scratches in it as well. I used a little bit of Meguiars Plastix and polished most of them out. Granted, I am sure they will get more scratches over time.

I took the car in yesterday and the service manager took several photos of the damage, as well as the mileage and VIN sticker in the door jam. There is only 830 miles on the car so I assume Acura will cover it, as they should.
The following users liked this post:
peti1212 (09-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SpraykwoN
I used a little bit of Meguiars Plastix and polished most of them out. Granted, I am sure they will get more scratches over time.
Hmm, that's a great idea.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by peti1212
Hmm, that's a great idea.
It worked well. But remember, it won't get ALL of them out. They are not really noticeable unless in direct sunlight. But give it a shot. Just don't use too much of the product or it will get in the grooves etc. around the plastic piece.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:11 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Cosmetic issues are covered under warranty but they need to be reported promptly. Scratches and the like should be pointed out and documented by the dealership when you pick up the car or shortly thereafter.

While it never hurts to try, waiting a month to report something that was there since day 1 probably won't get you much.

In addition, it probably wasn't really an Acura problem (quality control) but more likely a dealership prep issue.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:48 AM
16 SSM ILX Prem-Aspec

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Cosmetic issues are covered under warranty but they need to be reported promptly. Scratches and the like should be pointed out and documented by the dealership when you pick up the car or shortly thereafter.

While it never hurts to try, waiting a month to report something that was there since day 1 probably won't get you much.

In addition, it probably wasn't really an Acura problem (quality control) but more likely a dealership prep issue.
Funny but my PRNDS plastic cover is scratched on my car too, i noticed it when i picked up the car but like an idiot thought it was too small to mention, and now i see everyday, wish i would have mentioned it, i will try the plastic polish tonight...I guess bottom line next time you buy a new car the initial inspection of the car should be complete, and document every little item you see no matter how small, especially for OCD people like me
Old 09-02-2015, 09:57 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Steven Vitek
Funny but my PRNDS plastic cover is scratched on my car too, i noticed it when i picked up the car but like an idiot thought it was too small to mention, and now i see everyday, wish i would have mentioned it, i will try the plastic polish tonight...I guess bottom line next time you buy a new car the initial inspection of the car should be complete, and document every little item you see no matter how small, especially for OCD people like me
Correct. ALL cosmetic issues should be noted no matter how small. You can always decide later that it isn't important enough to fix, but how else do you "prove" that the defect was there when you bought the car?

This is especially important for things that the dealer can claim you did - scratches, dings, stains and tears.

If you do find something you overlooked once you get home, take a picture immediately and email it to the dealer. Follow up with a phone call leaving a voicemail if after hours.

This one reason why I always recommend that you schedule a couple of hours to pick up your new car. Don't pick it up at night or during bad weather. While you can do much of the inspection under the glare of shop lights in the service bay (where many cars are delivered at night), nothing beats sunlight to show paint imperfections, swirls and holograms.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:03 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Go to a Harley (or other motorcycle shop) and get the Novus plastic polish. As an alternative that works even better, get a tube of Polywatch from Amazon. Follow up with a coat of wax.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Yea I took it in on Monday and spoke with the service Manager. He totally understood where I was coming from and agreed that these items should be addressed. He snapped photos of the two damaged pieces, as well as the mileage (which was around 800 or so) and the VIN sticker. He then told me he was going to start the process and would be in contact with me in a week. I think I am ok given the car was less than a month old and the mileage was low. At first I didn't really care, but the more I drove the car, the more they bothered me. Plus the dealer where I go is about 35 miles away, so it wasn;t ;ike I could just go there whenever I wanted due to work, etc. Hopefully I will hear back today and get these parts covered. I don't see why I wouldn't.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

I too have these light scratches. Must come from dealer prep. Did any of you have dealer replace and if so how did it come out?
Old 09-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Dealer is taking care of all of my issues under warranty.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Cruisin'

What is part #

What is the part # or what is the part called for the RDN plastic cover?