List your Problems/Issues with the ILX

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
never had this issue either. I think a few people including myself have found that shifting this car above 3K (every time) truly makes the shift smoother but it never made grinding sounds to begin with....
Old 10-09-2014, 12:21 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OSUBeaver
never had this issue either. I think a few people including myself have found that shifting this car above 3K (every time) truly makes the shift smoother but it never made grinding sounds to begin with....

Thanks OSUBeaver...it's not the shift/shifter that's the issue, it's the clutch.

Hmmm, how to not let the service people bully me. People look at me and think I know nothing about MT. Every car I test drove (Acura and others) I encountered the same comment from salesmen: "You drive stick very well for a woman; even better than most men." I'll leave out the expletives I had in my head. But now I have to deal with male service managers and techs who think that a "petite" woman would know nothing about how a clutch should feel.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by ElfFisch
Thanks OSUBeaver...it's not the shift/shifter that's the issue, it's the clutch.

Hmmm, how to not let the service people bully me. People look at me and think I know nothing about MT. Every car I test drove (Acura and others) I encountered the same comment from salesmen: "You drive stick very well for a woman; even better than most men." I'll leave out the expletives I had in my head. But now I have to deal with male service managers and techs who think that a "petite" woman would know nothing about how a clutch should feel.
To be honest, I think you're being too sensitive. The guy gave you a compliment. Sorry, but reality is most men nowadays don't even know how to drive stick, much less women. It's not being sexist if it's factual. You must be fun on dates tho.... SMH
The following users liked this post:
ElfFisch (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by aomechmarine
To be honest, I think you're being too sensitive. The guy gave you a compliment. Sorry, but reality is most men nowadays don't even know how to drive stick, much less women. It's not being sexist if it's factual. You must be fun on dates tho.... SMH
Eeeey. Women don't take being compared to men as a compliment because it insinuates comparing men to women would be an insult.

As well it implies most women don't know how to drive stick... which would be a sexist sweeping statement.

Just saying.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Just sayin>>what?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
LOL Everything I just said.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by ElfFisch
Welcome to Acurazine and congrats on your ILX. I agree with you is that the symptom you are describing dos not appear normal and especially, from someone who has been driving manual vehicles and knows how they should feel.

It is ironic that at first, they tried to fix it and only when they realized they couldn't solve the problem that they claim its a characteristic of the vehicle. Is there another manual ILX in the lot that you could test and attest to their claim? Also, what about trying another dealership for another opinion?

Finally, best advice is remain calm, try and work with the service dept and hopefully it will all work out in the end....
Flightwriter (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 01:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Eeeey. Women don't take being compared to men as a compliment because it insinuates comparing men to women would be an insult.

As well it implies most women don't know how to drive stick... which would be a sexist sweeping statement.

Just saying.
About to totally derail and rant here.
Sexism goes both ways. Too many girls and white knight dudes are WAY too quick to throw the sexism card. Which I hate with a passion. So many examples I can think of, but here's a recent one. I was cleaning weapons with a bunch of Marines from different units. Cute female Marine and fugly Female Marine. I ask the Cute one where she works on base. She says HQ. I say "You're Admin, huh?" Fugly girl makes a disgusted face - "THAT'S SEXIST!" Cute girl is surprised. I'm irritated. "It's not sexist - i didn't say that because she's female - THATS MOSTLY WHO WORKS AT HQ - ADMIN! WTF?!" Then she just shut up.
But TECHNICALLY - SHE was being sexist towards me - assuming I was an insensitive sexist male her instagram feminist friends probably warned her to watch out for in the Corps.
Being in the Marine Corps has made me MUCH more aware of the sexism towards males that people basically ignore because men are suppose to suck it up and deal, whereas women are always seen as victims. Males are disposable in society. Either we work until we die, and must be willing to risk our lives, or we are seen as useless losers. Females in the military generally cannot hang when it comes to the most physical jobs - most of them get hurt. Ask any male Marine how many hurt female Marines he's seen during his career, whether he did 4 years or 30. And they have lower physical standards to begin with. Guess who has to pick up the slack from the females? We are NOT equal in any way. I really hate hearing that actually. We have a lot of differences and thats great. We should celebrate diversity, not try to make guys more feminine and women more masculine. I hate political correctness.
Flightwriter (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I hear ya on the political correctness....we have gone WAY TOO FAR and now it's a point where it ridiculous. I know this is off topic so my apologies to the moderators but I just had to acknowledge your post and the political correctness.
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
aomechmarine (10-11-2014), Flightwriter (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Welcome to Acurazine and congrats on your ILX. I agree with you is that the symptom you are describing dos not appear normal and especially, from someone who has been driving manual vehicles and knows how they should feel.

It is ironic that at first, they tried to fix it and only when they realized they couldn't solve the problem that they claim its a characteristic of the vehicle. Is there another manual ILX in the lot that you could test and attest to their claim? Also, what about trying another dealership for another opinion?

Finally, best advice is remain calm, try and work with the service dept and hopefully it will all work out in the end....
As someone who still has occasional nightmares about my time writing service orders on Chevys in the mid-90s, I can't weather's last comment enough. Definitely remain calm and easy to work with, and acknowledge those who have been particularly willing to try to help. It's all about building a coalition on your side.

That said, if the service manager doesn't appear able - or willing - to resolve the matter, aim higher. Many dealerships also have a dedicated customer service manager (or lead) who often has the ear of the general manager, and the brand's regional representative on speed dial. Find this person's name, and use that information should it become necessary. What you describe is definitely not normal with any modern HondAcura product.

Last edited by Flightwriter; 10-11-2014 at 03:30 PM.
weather (10-11-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Misc. rattling (luckily I have means to fix), drone, road noise, shock noise, and poop infotainment center(besides the screen and lack of functionality).

The infotainment center locks up so much with satellite radio that I cancelled it.

Last edited by Trentimus; 10-15-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Added why the infotainment center is poop.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Starting to hear the clutch groan as seen in the Civic Si's. See thread below. Only makes the noise when starting in 1st gear when loading the clutch slowly. Looks like it's bad clutch springs. Anyone else hearing this in their 2.4 6 speed yet?

1st Gear Clutch Noise - Page 44
Old 04-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SlipAngle
Starting to hear the clutch groan as seen in the Civic Si's. See thread below. Only makes the noise when starting in 1st gear when loading the clutch slowly. Looks like it's bad clutch springs. Anyone else hearing this in their 2.4 6 speed yet?

1st Gear Clutch Noise - Page 44

Took the car in for it's B1 service yesterday. Told Acura about three problems.
  1. Clutch Groan - NHTSA #10053784, TSB #SB-10-11
  2. Starter Grind when cold (-10c or colder)
  3. Low Battery Charge (Mostly when cold)

Of course they were not able to reproduce any of them... Ah well, at least they are officially logged.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loving my 2016 Acura ILX. For the price point I think this car is worth it.
Still has a loud thump in the rear suspension over bumps. Sounds like when my socket set is in the trunk.

I was to minor things that I'm curious about.
1. B pillar lower interior panel loose/ flimsy. Notice it moves a lot when I was cleaning it.

2. Driver side carpet closer to the seat crackling/plasticy sound under the carpet?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 ILX Premium Package - love the car

about 1500 miles so far, not a single complaint
Old 04-27-2015, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SlipAngle
Took the car in for it's B1 service yesterday. Told Acura about three problems.
  1. Clutch Groan - NHTSA #10053784, TSB #SB-10-11
  2. Starter Grind when cold (-10c or colder)
  3. Low Battery Charge (Mostly when cold)

Of course they were not able to reproduce any of them... Ah well, at least they are officially logged.
It didn't seem like the clutch noise was a widespread problem in the ILX (most likely due to less of ilx 2.4's manual than Si's). I did read about it in the Si forum since I looked at the Si before buying the ilx. If I remember correctly, it's hard to duplicate the clutch noise but some were able to by driving up a slight incline/hill. would have to reread the 9th gen civic forum though to find

My ilx has less than 10k miles and no clutch noise but not much mileage on it yet
Old 04-29-2015, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by trexter
It didn't seem like the clutch noise was a widespread problem in the ILX (most likely due to less of ilx 2.4's manual than Si's). My ilx has less than 10k miles and no clutch noise but not much mileage on it yet
Yeah I haven't noticed any clutch noises and I'm at 124,000 miles.

Some of the comments in Jon's thread could apply here too:

Show us your wear and tear
Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 AM
'15 ILX CBP 2.4

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Does anyone have trouble finding their gear? I really dislike how when in gear it has alot of wiggle room still. My 6th to 3rd gear downshift i always put it to 5th instead Lol. Other than that i think a short shifter would help me.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Both drive axles replaced at 900 miles.