ILX Rear Defroster Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ILX Rear Defroster Question

Sooooo I posted this question here a while ago, and got all varying answers. Now, I have had two separate Acura Dealerships test my rear defroster, and all results have been the same.

All lines have power and there are no breaks.

Now this photo was taken prior to my second Acura Dealership visit, which was to Glendale Acura who might I add, have one of the BEST service managers in all of SoCal. He spent close to 4 days with the vehicle (for various issues: the infamous brake squeal, rattling rear deck, etc.) and found nothing wrong with the rear window defroster. So I wanted to see if anyone with a 2016 ILX (or even earlier model) has had the same issue.

The 6th line from the top does not seem to defrost as quickly as the others. Now, it does eventually defrost, but as the photo shows, it is very slow. I just wanted to see if anyone has seen a similar issue with their rear window. I myself am wondering if it is a defect in the glass of some sort. Any info is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails ILX Rear Defroster Question-12227767_10205632269506033_3444879857047777692_n.jpg  
Old 12-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have not noticed any issues with my rear defroster, however it has not been very cold in CA lately. I will keep an eye on this and report back.

I'm curious to know, what exactly was done about your "rear deck rattle"? I've been battling with this since the car was two weeks old. Tried two different dealers and both they claimed they did not find an issue with it.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by iRaw
I have not noticed any issues with my rear defroster, however it has not been very cold in CA lately. I will keep an eye on this and report back.

I'm curious to know, what exactly was done about your "rear deck rattle"? I've been battling with this since the car was two weeks old. Tried two different dealers and both they claimed they did not find an issue with it.
Definitely let me know what you find out about the defroster.

As far as the rear deck rattle goes, the Acura dealer removed the rear deck, and added some sound deadening material under it, then reinstalled it. Apparently Acura never put any in there according to their reports, which is puzzling how the hell it passed the Quality Control. With everything at max, it thumps and no signs of rattle. Very RARELY, I might hear a slight vibration noise but more so because the base is super high. Before the rattle happened at all times no matter how high the volume was. If you are close to Glendale, take your car in and I will let the Service Manager I know that you are coming.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Seen this post yesterday. Never really had any issues with my defrosters to notice anything, so i check this morning and my defroster clears up evenly.
Looking at ya photo, looks like that 6th line it slowest to warm up. when the window clears up does that 6th line stays there?
Old 12-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rae Rad
Seen this post yesterday. Never really had any issues with my defrosters to notice anything, so i check this morning and my defroster clears up evenly.
Looking at ya photo, looks like that 6th line it slowest to warm up. when the window clears up does that 6th line stays there?
Yep

Just that line didn't defrost. Eventually after about 15 minutes, it did defrost. But the good news is Acura is replacing the entire back window under warranty.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice! I'm willing to bet that line was completely dead. The only reason why it eventually defrosted after 15min was due to the other lines heating the glass enough to defrost that area as well.

Did you have any window tint by chance? I'm curious to know if warranty would cover a rear window replacement that has had aftermarket tint applied.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Nice! I'm willing to bet that line was completely dead. The only reason why it eventually defrosted after 15min was due to the other lines heating the glass enough to defrost that area as well.

Did you have any window tint by chance? I'm curious to know if warranty would cover a rear window replacement that has had aftermarket tint applied.
No tint yet. Wanted to get this sorted out before I had it done.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:04 AM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe it should still been covered. i read somewhere under some warranty act that unless the dealership can prove that the damage was caused by that aftermarket part they will not be able to void warranty.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Glass was completely replaced in the rear by Acura of Glendale, and now each and every line of the defroster works with no issues. While they were in there, they also installed some more sound deadening in each pillar in the rear to eliminate all rattles. So glad all the kinks I had on this vehicle were taken care of.