2017 Acura ILX Dual Clutch Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 11:26 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Acura ILX Dual Clutch Transmission

hi Im new to the forum. Im a proud owner of a ilx 2017 2.4L with DCT. With 53k miles. I want to change the fluid at 60k since i been reading that durability of this Trasmission is not the best and i want to see if i can make last to 200k and maybe 300k 🤣. But since im not a mechanic o something like that. Im not sure where is the filler bolt. Maybe you can help me find it 😬. I understand that the owners manual said that i need to take it to the dealer. But any help, advice or recommendations are greatly appreciate it. Im attaching a pic of the transmission
Old 06-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
I replaced the DCT fluid my self at the 75K mark when the A13 service indicator came on.
Its really easy, easier than an standard engine oil change too.

There is a drain bolt near the bottom that has a magnet on the inside to catch shavings. Simply drain there.

To re fill, there is a top facing filler bolt, fill it from there with the recommended amount of fluid.

Thankfully the fluid used in the DCTs is not that much more than standard engine oil (unlike the ATF-3 used in the 9 speeds and other autos)

8 speed DCT uses the new ATF 2 which retails for ~$9.50 per quart. (4.3 quarts used at change) instead of like $30-40 a bottle for the ATF-3 *_* and those high gear autos have to be changed every 30k vs 75k
The following 3 users liked this post by Thmanx:
Big Jimmy (09-06-2019), Jabiram (06-10-2019), The6ix (07-08-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:17 PM
4th Gear

Thanks bro @Thmanx i greatly appreciate it. I noticing that is out there a lot of information and howtos about others model but not that much for the ilx. What you know about this DCT? Are they really that bad? Is posible to make them get to 200k miles?
Old 06-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jabiram
Thanks bro @Thmanx i greatly appreciate it. I noticing that is out there a lot of information and howtos about others model but not that much for the ilx. What you know about this DCT? Are they really that bad? Is posible to make them get to 200k miles?

Bad? Hell I think its one of the best daily DCTs out there. And I've got the 2016 model (haven't even done the Transmission Software Update)

Shifts in S mode almost as quick as many BMW DCT models, with the lazy smoothness in D mode for going around town and saving gas.
The only time its done any funky shifts, is usually my fault because im driving it in the wrong mode and style. Such as trying to do an awkward slow down to acceleration change while in D when coming to a stop or something like that.

Before the ILX, my daily was a 00 Civic with a Integra Type R engine and 5 speed manual. So my brain is still wired to properly down shift when approaching a turn or curve. Frankly leaving it in S (auto) mode, the car would shift through gears with the same kind of drive logic I would when sliding through my 5 speed even the first through 5th gear ratios feel very similar to my ITRs box. Whether it be around town, in the canyon, or trying to make a quick lane change/exit on a freeway, the 8Speed DCT is a champ. (way better shifting and feeling than the ZF 9 Speed Autos found in other Acuras)

Just change your fluids at the proper intervals and if for some reason you REALLY feel its D style shifting feels off, there is an software update Technical Service Bulletin you can have done.
But yeah no worries about reliability, or long term wear/tear as far as I've heard or experienced.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thmanx:
schen72 (07-18-2019), The6ix (07-08-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 02:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Thmanx
Bad? Hell I think its one of the best daily DCTs out there. And I've got the 2016 model (haven't even done the Transmission Software Update)

Shifts in S mode almost as quick as many BMW DCT models, with the lazy smoothness in D mode for going around town and saving gas.
The only time its done any funky shifts, is usually my fault because im driving it in the wrong mode and style. Such as trying to do an awkward slow down to acceleration change while in D when coming to a stop or something like that.

Before the ILX, my daily was a 00 Civic with a Integra Type R engine and 5 speed manual. So my brain is still wired to properly down shift when approaching a turn or curve. Frankly leaving it in S (auto) mode, the car would shift through gears with the same kind of drive logic I would when sliding through my 5 speed even the first through 5th gear ratios feel very similar to my ITRs box. Whether it be around town, in the canyon, or trying to make a quick lane change/exit on a freeway, the 8Speed DCT is a champ. (way better shifting and feeling than the ZF 9 Speed Autos found in other Acuras)

Just change your fluids at the proper intervals and if for some reason you REALLY feel its D style shifting feels off, there is an software update Technical Service Bulletin you can have done.
But yeah no worries about reliability, or long term wear/tear as far as I've heard or experienced.
I also have the 2016. It's my first car with a DCT. I think it's great. The shifting is so fast and pretty smooth. The only time it isn't totally smooth is at low speeds, like stop and go traffic. There is a little bit of "clunking," but apparently not nearly as bad as DCTs in much more expensive cars. I think the torque converter helps in that regard. I did do the software update, although I never experienced the problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by schen72:
Big Jimmy (09-06-2019), The6ix (07-08-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 04:01 PM
6th Gear

Clunky shifts in stop and go traffic

Originally Posted by schen72
I also have the 2016. It's my first car with a DCT. I think it's great. The shifting is so fast and pretty smooth. The only time it isn't totally smooth is at low speeds, like stop and go traffic. There is a little bit of "clunking," but apparently not nearly as bad as DCTs in much more expensive cars. I think the torque converter helps in that regard. I did do the software update, although I never experienced the problem.
I thought there was something wrong with my 16 ilx transmission and took in several times to the dealer but they pretty much told I was crazy and that they didn't know what the heck I was complaining about. Now from reading your post it looks the dct transmissions are clunking from the factory.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Jimmy
I thought there was something wrong with my 16 ilx transmission and took in several times to the dealer but they pretty much told I was crazy and that they didn't know what the heck I was complaining about. Now from reading your post it looks the dct transmissions are clunking from the factory.
It's not the regular hydraulic automatic. It is a computer controlled manual so you will get the gear lash clunks if you don't drive it like a manual.
The following users liked this post:
Big Jimmy (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DaIll1
It's not the regular hydraulic automatic. It is a computer controlled manual so you will get the gear lash clunks if you don't drive it like a manual.
Exactly. Drive and respect it like a 8 Speed manual, and it'll reward you every time.

If ya want a slush box, get the 5 speed 2015 model lol
Big Jimmy (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 05:42 PM
6th Gear

How do I drive an automatic like an 8 speed manual? Is there a trick or method I'm not aware of? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Big Jimmy
How do I drive an automatic like an 8 speed manual? Is there a trick or method I'm not aware of? Any help will be appreciated.
Rapid on/off throttle of any sort will cause the lash clunk, be gentle with the throttle. edit: after you get gear contact, mash the crap outait
There has to be clearance for the gears to slide passed each other.

Last edited by DaIll1; 09-07-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rapid on/off throttle of any sort will cause the lash clunk, be gentle with the throttle. edit: after you get gear contact, mash the crap outait
There has to be clearance for the gears to slide passed each other.
I just got my 2016 ILX with 71k on it in May and I love it. I love the paddle shifters, and it took me a bit to get used to the DCT but once you understand the logic behind preselected gears it makes driving it very easy. If you’re going to downshift- press the brake or release the throttle. If you’re going to upshift, apply throttle and it shifts perfectly.

I’m not sure if it’s good or bad for the transmission but I drive this car in S/M mode everywhere. I like the control of being able to use my engine to slow down instead of using my brakes for everything so I start in 1 and drive like I had a manual lmao.
DaIll1 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by philyilx
I just got my 2016 ILX with 71k on it in May and I love it. I love the paddle shifters, and it took me a bit to get used to the DCT but once you understand the logic behind preselected gears it makes driving it very easy. If you’re going to downshift- press the brake or release the throttle. If you’re going to upshift, apply throttle and it shifts perfectly.

I’m not sure if it’s good or bad for the transmission but I drive this car in S/M mode everywhere. I like the control of being able to use my engine to slow down instead of using my brakes for everything so I start in 1 and drive like I had a manual lmao.
I use sport mode often and it hasn't hurt anything. I love the sound of rev match.